IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should there be limits on weight gain?
flazi
post Sep 14 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #1

Super Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,846

I was thinking about this saturday night as Rios beat the crap out of peterson. When the fight started i noticed how much bigger and fuller Rios was than Peterson. Then their fight night weight was announced. Rios blew up to 151 while Peterson wen to 139. Peterson really had no shot. He couldn't hurt the bigger man. I see this a lot in my sport. I am a power lifter. I weigh around 215 and compete in the 220 class. there are guys that weigh in 220 but the next day when we compete i can tell they are way bigger than me. some come in around 235 but since they weighed in under the limit then can compete and they blow me out of the water. For years i have just dealt with it but now i am thinking if this is fair or should i do the same as they do, get some water pills and go down to 198 then rehydrate back up to my normal weight of 215 and blow the competition at 198 out of the water. I honestly haven't done that because i feel its cheating. what do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
E.C.LEGEND
post Sep 14 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,658

I think there should be a limit or same day weigh-ins. But you can argue the fact that a fighter can hurt himself, by draining his body to make weight, and not have an advantage at all.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Sep 14 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #3

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (flazi @ Sep 14 2010, 05:14 PM) *
I was thinking about this saturday night as Rios beat the crap out of peterson. When the fight started i noticed how much bigger and fuller Rios was than Peterson. Then their fight night weight was announced. Rios blew up to 151 while Peterson wen to 139. Peterson really had no shot. He couldn't hurt the bigger man. I see this a lot in my sport. I am a power lifter. I weigh around 215 and compete in the 220 class. there are guys that weigh in 220 but the next day when we compete i can tell they are way bigger than me. some come in around 235 but since they weighed in under the limit then can compete and they blow me out of the water. For years i have just dealt with it but now i am thinking if this is fair or should i do the same as they do, get some water pills and go down to 198 then rehydrate back up to my normal weight of 215 and blow the competition at 198 out of the water. I honestly haven't done that because i feel its cheating. what do you guys think?

Evander Holyfield,Joe Louis,Tyson,Dempsey,Jean Marc Mormeck are guys who don't have problem with bigger guys..I don't have problems with bigger guys..If you don't have a chin or the greatest defense,I can see how it'd be unfair and it is when you're trying to fight guys at certain weight classes in my opinion..Also,what do you mean by getting blown out the water??KO'd or just beaten bad??What do you compete in that there is a 220 lb. weight class??Speed is the advantage ya gotta use..

In my opinion fighters should have to weigh in the day of the fight..Try drinking 3 liters of water a day..Water is not something you should ever cut out since if you don't drink enough,your body will hold weight and cause you to have more water weight..I weigh around 200 lbs and for our size,3 liters is good..See where you're at after trying that..Also,if you can't win in a certain weight class,try another one lower if the guys are too big for ya..Size isn't much of an issue to me though..Weight lifters in boxing tend to look bigger but that doesn't mean anything..It's skill that matters..

This post has been edited by JonnyBlaze: Sep 14 2010, 05:29 PM

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (flazi @ Sep 14 2010, 06:14 PM) *

There is absolutely no reason they should have day before weigh ins. It is totally unfair, like last saturday's fight. It gives the guy who sucked so much weight too much time to rehydrate. Remember what happened to Joey Gamache? This sport is already unsafe, giving a guy that type of advantage makes it that much worse.

I think all weigh ins should be same day as fight for obvious reasons.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 14 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

If the fight is at 140 come in the ring no more than 140. If you have to drain to make weight then stop sandbagging and fight guys your own size at your natural weight. JMO

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Sep 14 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

Same day weigh in and stop with the bullshit.

How in the hell is it a lightweight fight when one guy walks into the ring as a jr middle?

+Quote Post
EpTXCHAMP
post Sep 14 2010, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 6,987

Personally I like day of the fight weigh INS. Or what USA boxing does for amateur no more than an 8 pound difference. Or modify it for pros and say day after the weigh in there can't be more than an 8 lb difference think you'll see less careers ruined and cowards like clottey will have to start fighting guys there size.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2010, 07:30 PM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

The biggest problem is from area to area everyone has their own rules and regulations, and there is no consistency. So some times things can be pretty fair, and other times some straight up BS goes down in all aspects of this sport. And unfortunately nothing is going to change anytime soon..

+Quote Post
flazi
post Sep 14 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

my sport is powerlifting. I can total 1500+ pounds on the three lifts, 600 deadlift, 410 bench, 450+ squat (weak i know) but the guys who are heavier are in the 700's deadlifting and 600's squating. there is nothing more debilitating than watching someone warm up with the weight you max at. Same day weigh ins sounds great. I know in my sport it would be great cause the way it is now i can weigh in at 9 am friday and not compete until saturday or sunday evening.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 14 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 14 2010, 08:30 PM) *
The biggest problem is from area to area everyone has their own rules and regulations, and there is no consistency. So some times things can be pretty fair, and other times some straight up BS goes down in all aspects of this sport. And unfortunately nothing is going to change anytime soon..

This is true.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:18 AM