Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What happened to Joan Guzman?
BrutalBodyShots
post Feb 4 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #1

ON the edge

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 240

I totally forgot about this guy. I know like 4-5 years ago his problem was he was only fighting like once a year for a period of years but he seemed very promising. I feel like I have not seen him fight in a few years and I never hear anything about him. As far as I know he's still undefeated. Did he simply let his window of opportunity close back when he was on the rise?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 4 2012, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

I think he got his license suspended after second Funeka fight for 6 or 8 months (not sure) for using some banned substance - dunno which one. But I am not sure. Also, he was coming to fights few pounds above the limit which cost him his reputation. I used to love watching his fights. Especially when Floyd Mayweather Sr. was his trainer. But I think he will not be the same if he gets his license back as he is in his late 30's now if I remember correctly.

But true talent, that's for sure. Speed, Defense, Punching power.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 4 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #3

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

He's somewhere NOT making weight.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Feb 4 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #4

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

i hear he ballooned up to 180. making his cruiserweight debut next, for which he will not make weight lol. He is fighting at 140. Claiming low testosterone as his reason for ballooning up so much between fights.

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Feb 4 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

Fat boy can't stay away from the kitchen. His next bout is against a bowl of spaghetti. Sucks cause he had massive talent.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 4 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Last time I remember, he was on B.A.D. swinging at Funeka like a tasmanian devil in their rematch. I always heard about his problems making weight and how good he was supposed to be and blah, blah, blah.

After a fighter CONSTANTLY has problems making weight, its hard to feel bad for 'em or even wonder where they are for that matter.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 4 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Last time I remember, he was on B.A.D. swinging at Funeka like a tasmanian devil in their rematch. I always heard about his problems making weight and how good he was supposed to be and blah, blah, blah.

After a fighter CONSTANTLY has problems making weight, its hard to feel bad for 'em or even wonder where they are for that matter.

Totally agree with the last point. Truth is though, he was a really talented boxer. Troubles with making weight is a sign of lack of motivation and self-discipline which means he was not a World-class material anyway. Sad.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 4 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 4 2012, 07:49 PM) *
Troubles with making weight is a sign of lack of motivation and self-discipline which means he was not a World-class material anyway. Sad.

+1

There was no better way of wording that one...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 4 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 4 2012, 06:49 PM) *

Not making weight was bad enough, but what REALLY pissed me off, was for the Nate Campbell fight, he didn't even try to sweat off any pounds. Next, after Nate said he'd still fight (obviously, w/ a portion of Guzman's purse going to Nate), Guzman wouldn't fight. Instead, he went to the hospital for some "mysterious" ailment. Not only did he screw Nate outta a title defense, but a payday altogether. It's one thing to screw yourself outta $$$, but to f*ck someone else outta loot is unforgivable, considering how "iffy" boxing is from the start.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 4 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 4 2012, 08:00 PM) *
Not making weight was bad enough, but what REALLY pissed me off, was for the Nate Campbell fight, he didn't even try to sweat off any pounds. Next, after Nate said he'd still fight (obviously, w/ a portion of Guzman's purse going to Nate), Guzman wouldn't fight. Instead, he went to the hospital for some "mysterious" ailment. Not only did he screw Nate outta a title defense, but a payday altogether. It's one thing to screw yourself outta $$$, but to f*ck someone else outta loot is unforgivable, considering how "iffy" boxing is from the start.

Yep, grounds for a royal ass-kicking! Kinda reminds me of the bullshit that went down for the Corrales/Castillo rubber match. Now THAT shit wasn't uncalled for, to say the least...though both of them used to have life & death battles with making weight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:37 PM