IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Will No Longer Acknowledge a '0', Have at it...
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 31 2011, 05:22 PM) *
fighters have been ducking opponents since the days of Jack Johnson but it's much worse than it's ever been. DLH took a lot of tough fights and didn't win all of them, his successor on the other hand has been a lot more careful in his choice of opponents. trying to say it's just Bob Arum is completely overlooking the era of boxing after DLH. and as it's there's no telling whether or not the top earner will continue to fight the rising star, the transition could be more like Pac filling the void Mayweather left.

boxing has always been a business but at one time it's also a legitimate sport. it's been drifting more and more towards sports entertainment over the years and it isn't by chance.

dlh, floyd and pac all have one thing in common......bob arum.

dlh's career was carefully planned just like pac's and floyds. no one gets to the top without careful planning.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Crafty @ Aug 31 2011, 05:24 PM) *
We need more fight bonuses after the fact, so there will be more entertaining fights. In the UFC, a fighter can double his pay by having KO of the night, and fight of the night. Boxing needs something like this.

boxing has had this in the amateurs forever.....i agree, they need to do it in the pros.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 31 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #23

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (Crafty @ Aug 31 2011, 05:24 PM) *
We need more fight bonuses after the fact, so there will be more entertaining fights. In the UFC, a fighter can double his pay by having KO of the night, and fight of the night. Boxing needs something like this.

what for? if you've entertaining fights in boxing you can get more dates and make more money. that should be enough motivation. and if you aren't entertaining you can just hire Al Haymon.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 31 2011, 05:32 PM) *
what for? if you've entertaining fights in boxing you can get more dates and make more money. that should be enough motivation. and if you aren't entertaining you can just hire Al Haymon.

al haymon hate on this board too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
johnnyblaze
post Aug 31 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #25

I touched the little kid on my avatar...

Member No.: 13,118

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

Unless you're white.

This post has been edited by johnnyblaze: Aug 31 2011, 04:35 PM

+Quote Post
Crafty
post Aug 31 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #26

Amateur

Member No.: 12,878

Well it prevents boring fighters like Bhop winning boring decision after boring decision, just to keep winning. Then people want to watch him fight just to see if he loses. It reminds me of his head to head with Jean Pascal screaming "For me it's all about the W!" But what he doesn't realize is that there are some fighters out there who actually want to please the fans with a good fight.

This might prevent some fighters from just trying to win boring decisions to stay undefeated and relevant. Honestly, having another payday in the future doesn't always come into play when they are already making big bucks for that apperance. Look at David Haye, cashed out and ready to retire.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 31 2011, 04:48 PM
Post #27

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

QUOTE (Crafty @ Aug 31 2011, 05:42 PM) *
Well it prevents boring fighters like Bhop winning boring decision after boring decision, just to keep winning. Then people want to watch him fight just to see if he loses. It reminds me of his head to head with Jean Pascal screaming "For me it's all about the W!" But what he doesn't realize is that there are some fighters out there who actually want to please the fans with a good fight.

This might prevent some fighters from just trying to win boring decisions to stay undefeated and relevant. Honestly, having another payday in the future doesn't always come into play when they are already making big bucks for that apperance. Look at David Haye, cashed out and ready to retire.

none of what you said obliges you to watch those fighters. last time i checked, david haye and bernard hopkins were two of the biggest names in the sport. Sports aren't about pleasing all fans, and the dull/mediocre fights make the pleasure and thrill of a great fight all the more memorable.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 31 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #28

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 05:29 PM) *

dlh's career was carefully planned just like pac's and floyds. no one gets to the top without careful planning.

DLH left TR in 2001. what about the fights after that? as the top earner he took on tough opposition on a regular basis. Mayweather never fought a lightweight at welterweight without even making the catchweight with Arum either.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 31 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 1 2011, 07:29 AM) *

DLH took many more risks in the ring, that shouldn't be up for debate.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 31 2011, 05:48 PM) *
none of what you said obliges you to watch those fighters. last time i checked, david haye and bernard hopkins were two of the biggest names in the sport. Sports aren't about pleasing all fans, and the dull/mediocre fights make the pleasure and thrill of a great fight all the more memorable.

well said. also, let's not pretend guys like bhop would ever get the time of day if he wasn't winning. he has to win to stay relevant....otherwise ppl will use excuses like, he doesn't draw....or who has he beat...blah,blah,blah...

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 05:41 PM