IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT)-Martinez vs. Macklin-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later, No Duplicate Threads, New Spoilers, or Public Streams
pimpfighterROQ
post Mar 18 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #51

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,368

I guess we all have the tendency to discredit a fighter somewhat after a sub-par performance in a fight that is expected to be a total blowout of their dominance. (ex. Pac vs jmm3, donaire vs Vasquez and now this).

I have to see the fight again to truly judge Sergio against "boxers"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 18 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #52

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 18 2012, 07:49 AM) *
it seems that he outdid Macklin in stamina, or maybe it was his general high work rate, followed by his classic rounds off, maybe he'd do a lot better than we see if he trains to fight for the entire 12 rounds? I want to see someone with enough stamina and a good enough chin to last with him 12 rounds, am not so sure about Pirog because I haven't seen him fight, but two fighters that are always amazingly conditioned are Pacquiao and Mayweather, and there chins have been tested, well Pacquiao has, Mayweather doesn't let his get tested, a fight at 154 would be something nice since Martinez did come in at 158lb. i mean the mans 37, am sure he wants an exit strategy and a fight with either of these two would guarantee that, Mayweather more than Pacquiao since am sure he'd get a bigger slice of the pie than The Bobfather is willing to give out, a fight with ward would be just too stupid. he'd give up weight and height to the best super middleweight in the world. a fight with Pirog just wouldn't generate that much money? and realistically he cant fight the new European middleweight champion because he's not in the same league.
Shit... Castillo tested it in their 1st fight and Mayweather ate that shit like it was a grape.

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 18 2012, 11:09 AM) *
I scored it 107-99. Martinez was consistently accurate and put on the pressure at the end of the round in which he was knocked down, so I also made that a 9-9 round. Martinez was pacing himself and while I would have liked to have seen him throw more jabs and be a bit more orthodox, he thoroughly beat up Macklin.

I know, right? He's very unorthodox on both, offense and defense. I'm not a fan of his defense, 'cause he almost always keeps his hands down (I haaaaaaaaaaate that shit) to lure his opponents in, but it works for him, so I can't really knock it. I guess I'm 1 of the "other guys" Mayweather was referrin' to when he said somethin' along the lines of, "I think Martinez has a very, very impressive style. I'm a lil' bit different from the other guys."

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Mar 18 2012, 11:59 AM

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 18 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #53

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 18 2012, 07:49 AM) *
it seems that he outdid Macklin in stamina, or maybe it was his general high work rate, followed by his classic rounds off, maybe he'd do a lot better than we see if he trains to fight for the entire 12 rounds? I want to see someone with enough stamina and a good enough chin to last with him 12 rounds, am not so sure about Pirog because I haven't seen him fight, but two fighters that are always amazingly conditioned are Pacquiao and Mayweather, and there chins have been tested, well Pacquiao has, Mayweather doesn't let his get tested, a fight at 154 would be something nice since Martinez did come in at 158lb. i mean the mans 37, am sure he wants an exit strategy and a fight with either of these two would guarantee that, Mayweather more than Pacquiao since am sure he'd get a bigger slice of the pie than The Bobfather is willing to give out, a fight with ward would be just too stupid. he'd give up weight and height to the best super middleweight in the world. a fight with Pirog just wouldn't generate that much money? and realistically he cant fight the new European middleweight champion because he's not in the same league.

Re. the new Euro. middleweight champ, I thought that the Polish guy won. When I was watching it, I thought that it was a bit of a stylistic precursor to Martinez vs. Macklin. I thought the Polish guy was also more accurate than Hope. If he just had more strength and wasn't blinded by the blood from the cut, he could've taken Hope out of there as opposed to relying on the scorecards.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 18 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #54

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 18 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Shit... Castillo tested it in their 1st fight and Mayweather ate that shit like it was a grape.

I know, right? He's very unorthodox on both, offense and defense. I'm not a fan of his defense, 'cause he almost always keeps his hands down (I haaaaaaaaaaate that shit) to lure his opponents in, but it works for him, so I can't really knock it. I guess I'm 1 of the "other guys" Mayweather was referrin' to when he said somethin' along the lines of, "I think Martinez has a very, very impressive style. I'm a lil' bit different from the other guys."

IMO, Maravilla's clearly the top dog at middleweight and unlike one of the other supposed top pound for pounders, didn't make his name by fighting weight drained shells.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 18 2012, 02:27 PM
Post #55

Featherweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 18 2012, 02:00 PM) *
IMO, Maravilla's clearly the top dog at middleweight and unlike one of the other supposed top pound for pounders, didn't make his name by fighting weight drained shells.

I share your sentiments.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 18 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #56

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 18 2012, 04:48 PM) *

what I meant by that is that he doesn't take unnecessary shots, he's not there for a war so he'll last, I think its why fighters like Hopkins and Toney are still in the sport, they don't go in for wars, if they can move out of harms way they will, and if a shot from Mosley stunned him, am guessing a left hand from Martinez wouldn't be something nice.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Mar 18 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #57

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

Counting the 11th round, I had the fight 101 - 101. Mind you, I score even rounds 9-9 and there were 2-3 of those. I scored Macklin's knockdown round 10-9 in his favor, as I felt Martinez was actually the round. The 11th round was scored 10-7 for Martinez who earned 2 knockdowns.

Fun fight to watch, looking forward to a possible Mayweather - Martinez fight at 154 lbs. in the fall perhaps.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 18 2012, 05:28 PM
Post #58

Featherweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 18 2012, 05:37 PM) *
what I meant by that is that he doesn't take unnecessary shots, he's not there for a war so he'll last, I think its why fighters like Hopkins and Toney are still in the sport, they don't go in for wars, if they can move out of harms way they will, and if a shot from Mosley stunned him, am guessing a left hand from Martinez wouldn't be something nice.

Let's not forget Demarcus Corley, Zab Judah, or Sharmba Mitchell. When Mitchell caught him, that shit was funny as fuck. Mayweather, bein' the cocky guy that he is, said somethin' along the lines of, "he ain't gon' land it" to the commentators in the middle of the fight (referrin' to Mitchell's signature punch), and as soon as he said that, Mitchell landed the shot and stunned Mayweather (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) , but he immediately recovered from it. That shit was funny as fuck, though. I can't remember exactly which round it happened in, but when I find it, I'll post the video.

EDIT: It happened in Round 2. Someone from Sharmba's corner said, "Let it go. What are you holdin' it for, Sharmba? (referrin' to the left hand)," then Mayweather said, "He ain't gon' land it." He was respondin' to someone in Sharmba's corner, not the commentators. My mistake.

FF it to the 4:09 mark. 4:09-4:30

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Mar 18 2012, 05:46 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 18 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #59

Featherweight

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 18 2012, 06:21 PM) *
Counting the 11th round, I had the fight 101 - 101. Mind you, I score even rounds 9-9 and there were 2-3 of those. I scored Macklin's knockdown round 10-9 in his favor, as I felt Martinez was actually the round. The 11th round was scored 10-7 for Martinez who earned 2 knockdowns.

Fun fight to watch, looking forward to a possible Mayweather - Martinez fight at 154 lbs. in the fall perhaps.

The proper score should've been 10-8 in his favor. I'm lookin' forward to Mayweather-Martinez at 154, too. *Fingers crossed*

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 18 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #60

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

maybe, i dont think its the problem with southpaws, I just think Martinez will at some point in there fight land that punch clean.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 04:27 AM