IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Rios vs. Alverado Rematch Preview "World War II!", Who Wins? Comment and Vote in the Poll!
Rios-Alverado II-"World War II"
Who Wins?
Rios by Decision (close) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Rios by Decision (wide) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Rios by TKO/KO [ 5 ] ** [55.56%]
Alverado by Decision (close) [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
Alverado by Decision (wide) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Alverado by TKO/KO [ 3 ] ** [33.33%]
Draw [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
DQ (Indicate Loser in Response) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 9

daprofessor
post Mar 25 2013, 04:22 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 24 2013, 12:14 AM) *
What I don't get,

I understand that critics of this rematch would like to see these guys move up in there careers. I can understand that I guess. But why was it OK for Gatti and Ward to fight each other three times, but for some its not OK for Rios and Alverado to fight twice? I think that the second Ward and Gatti fights are over-ratede by the media, but we are still getting two guys who want to give the fans another great show, are ready to go to war and thrill the fans again! Jake Lamotta and Sugar Ray Robinson fought six brutal fights in a relatively short time frame and no one talked about them fighting too much.

At the same time, boxing is much more safety conscious today than when Robinson and Lamotta fought. But the Ward-Gatti trilogy was not that long ago. It's hard to draw that comparison, fans loving the brawls of the past, wishing for more today, but there is the health concerns that people have today where brawls with tough, but B-grade level fighters lead to shorter careers.

Sometimes I think there is too much caution today, and I would like to go back in time to the classic boxing of the 40's-70's. However, back than, we didn't have all the medical evidence that is now available.

The thing with Rios and Alverado is that, I think they are made for each other to produce wars, BUT neither can box well, so if either of these guys move up to fight someone who can box and box well, they are likely to lose. The public today has a short memory, and when they lose to a boxer, Rios-Alverado I will gradually fade. Doing this rematch, gets boxers who are evenly matched, fighting each other, away from the politics and bullshit with too many bigger guys who don't fight each other. Too many fighters today don't fight in the championship unification matches, and don't fight often enough.

Let's just hope for another great fight, and at the same time, the proper rest and health consideration if either or both take too many shots.

Jack

honestly, i'm not a fan of the gatti/ward trilogy. the first fight was enough for me. i didn't need the next two. also...same can be said for the vasquez/marquez 2,3,4.

i am a fan of the morales/barerra trilogy, pac/morales trilogy and marquez/pac 1-4. those guys did not lack in skill and they didn't beat each other senseless for the most part.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Mar 26 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

Alvarado seemed to be in control of the 1st fight. Then got drawn into a brawl and got caught and stopped. i see him simply boxing and eventially stopping Rios by the middle rounds. A comfortable win by Alvarado, in a fight that slightly disappoints.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 27 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Am I the only one that voted for Alvarado by close decision???

Something tells me that he's just gonna box the whole time...

But wait...the media is expecting this rematch to top Bradley/Provodnikov?! I soooo hope that Alvarado doesn't get sucked into another tit-for-tat fight. If so, he needs to take the pointers that his corner was trying to give him the first time around.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 29 2013, 08:32 PM
Post #14

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

From Yahoo Sports,

Alverado from the first fight admits that he had no game plan other than to fight and says "I will do the same thing, but with fewer mistakes."

Story here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--slugg...-181555756.html

Jack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:23 AM