IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is he better now or then?? Is his legs gone?? (Floyd Mayweather), Did he lose a step or two?? You be the Judge
mgrover
post Feb 13 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 13 2013, 09:04 AM) *
I don't understand how this can even be an issue to some people. Hes 36 goddamn years old, of course he is not "running" around the ring like he used to, of course his reflexes are slower etc.
What is more important to me is the way how he adapted to his body getting older. He is not trying to outrun father time and do all the "running" as if he was in his 20s. He uses his upper body more, stands in the pocket more and exploits his opponent's weaknesses better. You can still count noticeable and big punches that hit him throughout the WHOLE fight on one hand.

That to me is much more interesting than his legs POSSIBLY getting shut. I believe that he could still use them for 15 rounds if he wanted or was forced to. His training regimen is second to none. (B-Hop comes to mind though).

Not many fighters can adapt to the schedule of father time.

I am a fan of Floyd so I may be a little bit biased. But I have never seen somebodys legs being discussed as much as Floyds....as if his legs were the only one in the world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Its just because of the contrast in his styles I think, it was the same with Ali when he came back, his legs were gone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 13 2013, 08:20 AM) *
Its just because of the contrast in his styles I think, it was the same with Ali when he came back, his legs were gone

Yeah, I remember that Ali wasn't able to even get away from a lumbering George Foreman and because of that he invented the Rope-A-Dope but at that time I remembering believing that Muhammad was not able to move like he used to.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #13

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 12 2013, 09:35 PM) *
He just doesn't use them. He can move

In boxing if you use your legs too much you end up getting caught in a position your at a disadvantage or you'll get hit pulling back. Plus floyds upper body movement is so good why move much? And as you guys have mentioned he is a lot older so getting hit pulling back could be disasterous.

That mostly happens when you pull straight back, Floyd is too skilled to make a novice mistake like pulling straight back, he always boxes in circles/circling his opponent.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #14

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 12 2013, 09:59 PM) *
I don't know if I'd say his legs are gone, but he's slowed down some and I noticed that in the Ortiz fight. He won but it wasn't what most of his fans are used to seeing from him. The Cotto fight only reinforced that he's slowed down. But that's to be expected. He is turning 36 this month.

Given that though, he's still head and shoulders above the competition due to his defensive abilities and his boxing IQ. As far as him being better now or then, it depends on what your looking at or for. Regardless if he fights Canelo later this yr and Guerrero in May, I think he wins both fights. I see nothing in Guerrero that makes him a formidable foe for Mayweather. The people championing his performances at WW make me lol

+1

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 10:14 AM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 13 2013, 04:04 AM) *
I don't understand how this can even be an issue to some people. Hes 36 goddamn years old, of course he is not "running" around the ring like he used to, of course his reflexes are slower etc.
What is more important to me is the way how he adapted to his body getting older. He is not trying to outrun father time and do all the "running" as if he was in his 20s. He uses his upper body more, stands in the pocket more and exploits his opponent's weaknesses better. You can still count noticeable and big punches that hit him throughout the WHOLE fight on one hand.

That to me is much more interesting than his legs POSSIBLY getting shut. I believe that he could still use them for 15 rounds if he wanted or was forced to. His training regimen is second to none. (B-Hop comes to mind though).

Not many fighters can adapt to the schedule of father time.

I am a fan of Floyd so I may be a little bit biased. But I have never seen somebodys legs being discussed as much as Floyds....as if his legs were the only one in the world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

While I agree with your post, and I'm a big Floyd fan too (and may be somewhat biased) I do try to be realistic though which is why I asked the question. I'm not saying that Floyd is totally immobile or not able to move for a couple of rounds if he had to but in essence we all know he's slowed down a lot due to age, but honestly though I know his training regimen is second to none still we have to acknowledge that while he still gets hit not as much as most fighters that he does tend to take more punishment now that he doesn't use his legs as much.

FYI, I would never have referred to his previous style as "running", I thought he used his legs/footwork superbly and that enabled him to hit and not be hit better than any fighter I've ever seen>>>>including the greats SRR and SRL.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 13 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I'm almost convinced that Floyd fans are making me not like the guy nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

On a real note, I have seen him slow down a bit in his last few fights. Maybe he just super relaxed, who knows? As for his legs, I believe they were terrible in the Mosley fight. Well, not terrible, but not in tip top shape. Im not harping on Mosley being a pubic's hair length away from dropping him in the 2nd round, but overall.

For some reason, Floyd's body language in the Mosley and Cotto fights, gave me a hunch that he was somewhat forced into those fights. Honestly, his "hit and not get hit" fighting style, seemed have a liiiitle bit more added pressure than we're used to seeing, and I incorporate that his PPV rivalries with Manny over the past few years.

What I mean by PPV rivalries, is of course his opponent selection, overall numbers, and the pressure to not look bad for one second in his recent fights. Let's all be honest here, most (if not all of us) were looking for signs of wear & tear in both of these guys as they went head up in rivalry PPV events. People were buying both of their fights, to see who looked better (or worse), which added more buss to the fight.

Nowadays, I dont necessarily believe his legs are gone, but we don't see him circling around the ring like we used to. In the 12th round of the Cotto fight, he didn't look like himself while circling the ring, but that's just my observation. Its not a question as to whether grandfather time has caught up with him, the bigger question is, who has enough skill and patience to expose?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 13 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i'll echo what someone else said...of course his legs aren't what they used to be...it's part of the aging process. i'll also add...that with his legs slightly diminishing, we are going to see floyd do things that we've never seen him do before. at the end of the day...floyd is no joke and he is just the way brother nazim described him...."he will sprout wings and start spitting fire balls..." i have yet to see someone step on his tail, step around him and attack again. it'll be a sad day if and when that happens...but i get the feeling floyd ain't going down without a fight.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 13 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #18

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2013, 12:41 PM) *
1.I'm almost convinced that Floyd fans are making me not like the guy nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

On a real note, I have seen him slow down a bit in his last few fights. Maybe he just super relaxed, who knows? 2.As for his legs, I believe they were terrible in the Mosley fight. Well, not terrible, but not in tip top shape. Im not harping on Mosley being a pubic's hair length away from dropping him in the 2nd round, but overall.

For some reason, Floyd's body language in the Mosley and Cotto fights, gave me a hunch that3. he was somewhat forced into those fights. Honestly, his "hit and not get hit" fighting style, seemed have a liiiitle bit more added pressure than we're used to seeing, and I incorporate that his PPV rivalries with Manny over the past few years.

What I mean by PPV rivalries, is of course his opponent selection, overall numbers, and the pressure to not look bad for one second in his recent fights. Let's all be honest here, most (if not all of us) were looking for signs of wear & tear in both of these guys as they went head up in rivalry PPV events. 4.People were buying both of their fights, to see who looked better (or worse), which added more buss to the fight.

Nowadays, I dont necessarily believe his legs are gone, but we don't see him circling around the ring like we used to. In the 12th round of the Cotto fight, he didn't look like himself while circling the ring, but that's just my observation. Its not a question as to whether grandfather time has caught up with him, the bigger question is, 5.who has enough skill and patience to expose?

1. The thing I've noticed though in regards to most Floyd fans is that they do tend to be more fans of the sport instead of just a bandwagon Mayweather fan and they tend to be more realistic than most of these internet Pacquiao fans.

2. I thought his legs looked like they sustained him well in the fight with Shane, in fact, I'd go so far to say that he was very fortunate to have had those stronger legs otherwise he would've hit the canvas.

3. I disagree that Floyd was forced into those fights, I believe he wanted Shane a long time ago and Cotto as well. Try not to forget that Cotto was a Top Rank fighter protected by Bob Arum from Floyd for a long time, if I can recall correctly when Bob was trying to get Margo the fight with Floyd that Mayweather only wanted that fight if it included a bout with Cotto for 10 million but Arum balked at the idea. <<<I might be wrong on that but I do remember vaguely that there was a couple of bouts Floyd asked Bob for and one of them included Cotto for 10 mil.

4. I think many people started to look for comparisons of Floyd to Manny and vice versa as if that would determine who would win, I can recall many debates with fans of Pac that stated stuff like well he beat Oscar and Ricky better and from some Mayweather fans stating well he beat JMM far easier and he beat Oscar first and not at a CW. So you're right, people were doing some sort of reckoning but i don't think none of that would've mattered if they were to get it on.

5. Skill will definitely be a plus when dealing with Floyd but patience will not get it done, you need someone with a high work rate a great jab, equal or better speed and equal or better defense to beat Floyd and then after that you still need someone with a high ring IQ. Honestly right now there are only about 2 guys I can think of that have those things that can offset Floyd's skills, Martinez and Trout.

Tall, rangy, SPs with a great jab and enough pop will help to keep Floyd honest but there aren't that many of them in the game today and especially in the WW or Jr MW division.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 13 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

If he fights toe to toe he is losing his legs, if he circles around his opponent he is boring and "running if he engages with an opponent and is willing to get hit he has lost a step and his defense is not as strong, if he pots shot all night he is scared to engage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nea.gif) no matter how he fights he will have critics. I guess it comes with the territory.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 14 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #20

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 13 2013, 02:16 PM) *
Tall, rangy, SPs with a great jab and enough pop will help to keep Floyd honest but there aren't that many of them in the game today and especially in the WW or Jr MW division.

I don't think this one will do it either....at least not the majority of the fight. This SP (let's not pretend we don't know who it's going to be), gets gassed...this is NEVER good when fighting Floyd....NEVER.

I agree w/ the premise, he's 36 y/o and rarely in sports, if ever, are you better at 36 than 26 (at least not w/o "supplements"). That being said, yes, he doesn't have the same legs, but that's not the important variable. He can lose some of his legs, but if he still possesses enough to beat 95% (if not all) fighters in his class, what's the point? Like they say, "win this fight, look good in the next one"

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 08:21 AM