Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UFC 102 discussion
Warlord
post Aug 30 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #1

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

Big Nog gets the big win, and then the crowd starts booing. What a fucking joke. This is why American sports fans get so little international respect. Is there any reason why a class-act like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira should get booed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigG
post Aug 30 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #2

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Its pretty clear to me that Cotoure needs to retire.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 30 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 30 2009, 01:33 AM) *
Its pretty clear to me that Cotoure needs to retire.

He can still compete, but that's it. He's too small to fight legitly at heavyweight, and not strong enough in any one discipline to compete with the elite 205lbers.

Whatever though, he did it big for alot of years, could still give hell to most fighters on any given night, and he put up a hell of a fight tonight. He just met a better man. Nog is the 2nd best heavy of all-time. No shame in taking an L in the ring when he's the guy opposite you.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 30 2009, 02:05 AM
Post #4

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 30 2009, 01:26 AM) *
Big Nog gets the big win, and then the crowd starts booing. What a fucking joke. This is why American sports fans get so little international respect. Is there any reason why a class-act like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira should get booed?

No kidding. Or how about when they booed Anderson Silva at 101. WTF? I hate that shit. Show some fucking respect, you now?

Nog looked a lot better than he did in the Mir fight...must have really been the staph infection. Good scrap...saw a little of everything in this one.

I don't think Randy needs to retire, but he definitely should just be taking the "special" fights...you know...not fights that are going to put him in line for a title, but fights that are just interesting I guess...I can see them doing Couture vs. Griffin, Couture vs. Ortiz II, Couture vs. Anderson Silva (good lord...a massacre, but I'd watch it...haha).

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 30 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 30 2009, 02:05 AM) *
No kidding. Or how about when they booed Anderson Silva at 101. WTF? I hate that shit. Show some fucking respect, you now?

Nog looked a lot better than he did in the Mir fight...must have really been the staph infection. Good scrap...saw a little of everything in this one.

The long layoff (from filming TUF) and the staph infection killed Nog in the Mir fight. He took that one against doctor's orders.

If he shows up in shape, I think he's one of the few heavys in the UFC now that has any sort of real chance at competing with Cock Chestnar.

I don't think Randy needs to retire, but he definitely should just be taking the "special" fights...you know...not fights that are going to put him in line for a title, but fights that are just interesting I guess...I can see them doing Couture vs. Griffin, Couture vs. Ortiz II, Couture vs. Anderson Silva (good lord...a massacre, but I'd watch it...haha).

Yeah, physically Randy doesn't have to hang it up, but professionally, where does he go? There's ZERO appeal about him getting it on with Fedor at this point, which was his reason for coming back in the first place. He should just go make movies with Sylvester Stallone. He's fought enough real-life wars for this lifetime. He can go fight a few fake ones now.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Aug 30 2009, 06:32 AM
Post #6

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

Props to big Nog

Randy is a legend, mid 40's and he is still hanging with guys 13 or so years younger than him and making it competitive.

Whilst i am disappointed that randy lost, i guess it was the best outcome for the ufc as randy really has no chance of beating lesnar. The fucker is just too big, and too good a wrestler. At least nog presents a different equation for lesnar with his JJ, and less size disadvantage.

I think there is still interest in randy fighting fedor. Fedor is toiling in relative obscurity in these smaller organizations against lesser competition. Without some real fights to sharpen his edge, its going to get rusty at some point. He's chosen money and freedom (from white's contracts) over legacy at this stage of his career, which i can understand given that whites contracts prevent him from competing in his beloved sambo tournaments. He'll still get to fight some names, but they will be guys that are on the downslide. White needs to loosen the reins on his negotiations, and he will get fedor

Some good fights on the card, and some quick stoppages. I was surprised to see leben go out with a whimper. He seemed almost sedated in there, little aggression.

Not surprised to see jardine starched early. If the shaved monkey makes it out of the first round its usually a dificult awkward fight for his opponent, but catch him early... i had trouble deciding which scenario was most likely.

Maia getting laid out so quick... that was also a surprise. He's been working on his boxing, but against a fighter as experienced and well rounded as marquardt, he shouldve been going straight to the ground. As matt hughes said, the more you learn, the more chances you have to lose because you end up diluting your main strengths. This is a good thing for Maia, he wasnt ready for anderson with his striking so rudimentary, and nate will give anderson a real tough fight, something the spider hasnt had in a long while

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Aug 30 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #7

SKULLSPLITTER

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 30 2009, 01:26 AM) *

That's one of only two things I hate about MMA...the cookie cutter, garbage fans that follow it....and the fact I can't get near 100% on my predictions...lol

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 30 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 30 2009, 07:32 AM) *
I think there is still interest in randy fighting fedor. Fedor is toiling in relative obscurity in these smaller organizations against lesser competition. Without some real fights to sharpen his edge, its going to get rusty at some point. He's chosen money and freedom (from white's contracts) over legacy at this stage of his career, which i can understand given that whites contracts prevent him from competing in his beloved sambo tournaments. He'll still get to fight some names, but they will be guys that are on the downslide. White needs to loosen the reins on his negotiations, and he will get fedor

I hate Dana White, but I don't think its his fault Fedor isn't in the UFC. Dana came off the Sambo stance. In the latest round of negotiations (Right before Fedor went to Strikeforce), Dana said he could fight Sambo whenver he wanted, and basically addressed almost every concern Fedor had expressed in the past.

The problem is Fedor's promotional/management team M-1. They wanted to be "co-promoters" with the UFC. If you guys saw any of the Afflcition cards (or decide to watch Strikeforce starting now) you'll see what co-promotion with M-1 means. It basically means the parent company still does all the advertising, while M-1 just plasters their logo on just about everything in the builiding, including Fighter's shorts, and the sink in the janitor's closet.

UFC wasn't having none of that, and I can't blame 'em. They don't need that shit. Fedor is a loyal man, so I don't know if he ever leaves M-1, but I think that's what it has to come down to for him to make it in the UFC. M-1 won't change, because everyone so far but the UFC has eaten their jizz in order to get Fedor.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 08:50 AM