IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WHY DOESN'T AMERICA CELEBRATE HOPKINS?, Before the doping Armstrong was heraleded!!
BrutUalBK
post Mar 10 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

America is very selective at best when it comes to who we pick and chose when it comes to making celebrities, if BHop was in any other country in the world he'd be on the cover of every magazine, box of cereal, doing all the commercials and an icon to their status as a proud nation.

But in the USA, Hopkins isn't celebrated, isn't given any or very little fanfare at all. I wish I knew the reasoning for this but I guess I'd have to ask you guys here to speculate as to why this is, Lance Armstrong prior to his downfall was The Man in his native land and the only person who stood par with him are Jordan and Pacquiao.

I have a few reasons why I believe he'd never get the status he deserves in the public's persona are the following:

1. Former Felon
2. Not considered by some to be an exciting fighter
3. Boxing as a whole isn't amongst the country's most embraced sports like Football
4. He's African American (not necessarily a racial thing here) but if he were White then I believe he'd get the fanfare because white America still longs for their GWH
5. He isn't exactly pleasing to the eye (looks), the missing teeth do not help
6. In the past some took the comment he made about Joe C "never let a white boy beat me" as a racial attack and they won't live it down/let it go
7. The powers that be doesn't want an old face to be the face of this sport, they prefer the young bruiser types like Tyson

Personally, I believe he should be given more credit for what he has done and continues to do because as far as I know there isn't another dominant champion in any other sport at his age that continues to be as defiant/at the top of their league and doing it against opposition nearly half their age.

DISCUSS!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Mar 10 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 10 2013, 02:29 PM) *
America is very selective at best when it comes to who we pick and chose when it comes to making celebrities, if BHop was in any other country in the world he'd be on the cover of every magazine, box of cereal, doing all the commercials and an icon to their status as a proud nation.

But in the USA, Hopkins isn't celebrated, isn't given any or very little fanfare at all. I wish I knew the reasoning for this but I guess I'd have to ask you guys here to speculate as to why this is, Lance Armstrong prior to his downfall was The Man in his native land and the only person who stood par with him are Jordan and Pacquiao.

I have a few reasons why I believe he'd never get the status he deserves in the public's persona are the following:

1. Former Felon
3. Boxing as a whole isn't amongst the country's most embraced sports like Football
4. He's African American (not necessarily a racial thing here) but if he were White then I believe he'd get the fanfare because white America still longs for their GWH
5. He isn't exactly pleasing to the eye (looks), the missing teeth do not help
6. In the past some took the comment he made about Joe C "never let a white boy beat me" as a racial attack and they won't live it down/let it go
7. The powers that be doesn't want an old face to be the face of this sport, they prefer the young bruiser types like Tyson

Personally, I believe he should be given more credit for what he has done and continues to do because as far as I know there isn't another dominant champion in any other sport at his age that continues to be as defiant/at the top of their league and doing it against opposition nearly half their age.

DISCUSS!!

I believe there was a thread similar to this post before.
The over arching answer to the question: B-Hop is not white. Point. Blank. Period. That umbrellas every of the other points you mentioned. Boxing is a minority dominated sport with Hispanics and African-Americans and while Football is extremly popular in America it certainly isnt as popular as boxing worldwide. Mikkel Kessler is Huge in Denmark. The Klitchkos are huge in germany. Abraham is huge in Germany. Im sure even Golovkin is huge in Kazakstan. Here in America, its simple. B-Hop, or any other of the leading boxers for that matter are not white. Mayweather, B-Hop, Mosley, Ward, Wright, and all other up and coming boxers will never get the accolades that they deserve as long as they arent white or physically appealing to the caucasian demographic like DelaHoya was (and DelaHoya was HUGE).

As the only current gold medalist for boxing in the USA (who happened to be a FEMALE too) Im 100% certain that if Claressa Shields was white she would be HUGE. Shed be on Opra, Jimmy Kimmel, Late night talk shows. Shed be everywhere. But she isnt. Why? Simple. Shes not white/caucasian. Sure one could concede that that as an African-American gabby Douglas received accolades. However gabby douglas was only 14/15 thats what got her the praises- her age-not her talent. Im sure if Gabby doulas was older, just as claressa shields shed be in the same position.

With all the talent we have in the sport, subway had the NERVE to put some guy i have never seen or heard of before as the "boxer" within their athlete endorsers for their company. And "coincidentally" he just so happened to be white.

There are many other factors of course. However it all comes down to race.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 10 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Marcus @ Mar 10 2013, 02:06 PM) *
I believe there was a thread similar to this post before.
The over arching answer to the question: B-Hop is not white. Point. Blank. Period. That umbrellas every of the other points you mentioned. Boxing is a minority dominated sport with Hispanics and African-Americans and while Football is extremly popular in America it certainly isnt as popular as boxing worldwide. Mikkel Kessler is Huge in Denmark. The Klitchkos are huge in germany. Abraham is huge in Germany. Im sure even Golovkin is huge in Kazakstan. Here in America, its simple. B-Hop, or any other of the leading boxers for that matter are not white. Mayweather, B-Hop, Mosley, Ward, Wright, and all other up and coming boxers will never get the accolades that they deserve as long as they arent white or physically appealing to the caucasian demographic like DelaHoya was (and DelaHoya was HUGE).

As the only current gold medalist for boxing in the USA (who happened to be a FEMALE too) Im 100% certain that if Claressa Shields was white she would be HUGE. Shed be on Opra, Jimmy Kimmel, Late night talk shows. Shed be everywhere. But she isnt. Why? Simple. Shes not white/caucasian. Sure one could concede that that as an African-American gabby Douglas received accolades. However gabby douglas was only 14/15 thats what got her the praises- her age-not her talent. Im sure if Gabby doulas was older, just as claressa shields shed be in the same position.

With all the talent we have in the sport, subway had the NERVE to put some guy i have never seen or heard of before as the "boxer" within their athlete endorsers for their company. And "coincidentally" he just so happened to be white.

There are many other factors of course. However it all comes down to race.

Wow Marcus, thanks for the insight Bro, i never really looked at all those demographics you stated about Subway and whatnot but that is totally helpful insight. It does seem to continue the old addage that "we have to be twice as good" and even then that isn't always enough.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 10 2013, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Race is a factor

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 10 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

why didn't they celebrate barry bonds?

why didn't they celebrate clarressa shields?

i think you answered your own question. it's the same reason a good portion of our population is against our own president. it's sad...but nothing has really changed.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 10 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

He's a dick, maybe?

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 10 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 10 2013, 06:58 PM) *
He's a dick, maybe?

How so? What has he done to alienate the American public so much so that it would not consider a man who has done something in history that no other has done??

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Mar 11 2013, 12:43 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 10 2013, 03:29 PM) *

1. Former Felon
4. He's African American (not necessarily a racial thing here) but if he were White then I believe he'd get the fanfare because white America still longs for their GWH5. He isn't exactly pleasing to the eye (looks), the missing teeth do not help

DISCUSS!!

Thats the biggest one in my opinion. Boxing fans are not the same group of intellectuals who elected a black president. There is still a substantial amount of home teamism and racism in sports, in general. If Hopkins had been white or Mexican or Puerto rican, he'd be considered the greatest.

I also think that Blacks have been so dominant in sports for so long that its no big deal that theres a black guy whose good at sports. I think thats the general thinking. Its a big deal when you have a white guy in a spot that was previuosly dominated by blacks. Thats shit works the other way around too. Whites have dominated US politics and the office of the president. So much so that if we had a white president, its no big deal. Now that there's a black guy in the oval office, its a HUUUGE deal.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 11 2013, 04:09 AM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 10 2013, 11:26 PM) *
How so? What has he done to alienate the American public so much so that it would not consider a man who has done something in history that no other has done??

The whole "ain't no white boy gonna beat me" all the while cryin' the "THEY don't wanna see a brotha succeed" mantra. That's just a personal thing to me.

Seriously, America doesn't celebrate him b/c he's not really "celebratory". Meaning, he's not a casual fan-friendly fighter, boxing isn't on the perch it once was and he's not particularly appealing, aesthetic-wise (no homo--think women, here). That being said, the biggest underlying issue is, as Arum once said, "black fighters can't draw flies to sh*t". I don't believe that to be inherently true, but in BHop's case, it's pretty accurate.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 11 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #10

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Fuck rigid and racist jew Arum.. Hopkins had a decent crowd at the Barlays it seemed and is doing pretty good for himself--Hopkins is a great story of accomplishment and perseverance that If he were white would he the type of stuff that is showcased on OPRAH

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 04:18 AM