IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sugar Ray Robinson vs Floyd Mayweather..
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 27 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #41

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 26 2010, 10:40 PM) *
I wouldn't doubt at all that Robinson threw over 40 jabs a round. When I watch him, it seems like he threw even more. And it was a consistent round by round output. Ray hardly took any rounds off. I don't think I've seen a fighter with the stamina he had. I could only imagine the type of training he did compared to what most guys do. He could 15 rounds with absolutely no problem. Even in his last days at welter when he was absolutely killing himself to make the weight.

Oscar's jab is excellent but I always felt De La Hoya didn't have the confidence in his jab that he should have had. Even in his prime. He abandoned his jab against Quartey, Whitaker, and Mosley(The first fight). And we all saw against Mayweather how he put it away after getting caught with a few counter right hands. Ray wouldn't put it away. He would counter Mayweather's right with left hooks and he would fade going down the stretch.

I think Floyd would do some good things as well. At welterweight, Docusen and Gavilan, slick fighters with good skills were able to make Robinson miss. Floyd would be able to as well. And he would land his rights. The challenge would be to stay sharp and in his zone for 12 or 15 rounds against a guy that is so fast and relentless, not to mention that he punches with knockout power in either hand.

Ray would train hard but not like guys today..Guys today would spar 15 rounds for a 15 round fight and sometimes even a 12..Ray would spar 4-6 rounds for 15 round fights..He'd spar 4 one day,then 6 another,and maybe 8 another day..He'd do 2 rounds on the speed bag,2 jump roping,2-4 on the heavybag,2-3 shadowboxing while working his legs,maybe 2 on the double end,calestenics,and leave the gym after 2 hours of training..He'd also run 3-5 miles in combat boots when he'd be getting ready for a 15 rounder..Running forward,backward,and side to side while shadowboxing..So,guys today may seem to train harder but they are over training and that's why they get so tired..Ray was really good at knowing when he'd peak in training and when he'd peak,he'd be fighting within a few days..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 29 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #42

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

I think this wouldn't be quite as difficult for Robinson as some would imagine, I see him winning this convincingly while in his prime. Ray would outwork him, outbox him, and take the 0 out of his record.

I see the fight like this: Sugar troubles Mayweather for five rounds as Mayweather tries to figure him out. Sugar maintains the pace and outworks Mayweather, having won the early rounds he's well ahead. Eventually I think Sugar would floor Mayweather, however I've SRR by UD.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 29 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #43

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

^^^I think its a UD as well. I don't completely rule out a stoppage because of how hard and how fast Robinson could punch, but I give Floyd the benefit of the doubt that he'll last the distance because he'd be mentally prepared to do so against a guy that can do the damage the Ray could.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 29 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #44

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 29 2010, 08:24 PM) *
^^^I think its a UD as well. I don't completely rule out a stoppage because of how hard and how fast Robinson could punch, but I give Floyd the benefit of the doubt that he'll last the distance because he'd be mentally prepared to do so against a guy that can do the damage the Ray could.

I think a big factor is whether or not Sugar really wanted to end the fight. I think a prime Sugar would be more than capable of getting a stoppage against Mayweather, that guy would unload on you for a minute straight if he'd to.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 29 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #45

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

^^^^Yeah it is well known that Ray carried a few guys. And the guys who took his punch either were bigger men, or skilled slick fighters with good chins(Gavilan, Docusen). And guys like Zivic and Angott gave him some problems because of their roughhouse tactics.

I don't doubt Ray's ability to KO Floyd. But Floyd is very smart so if anyone of today era at welterweight could last 15 with him, it would be Floyd.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 29 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #46

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 29 2010, 09:19 PM) *
^^^^Yeah it is well known that Ray carried a few guys. And the guys who took his punch either were bigger men, or skilled slick fighters with good chins(Gavilan, Docusen). And guys like Zivic and Angott gave him some problems because of their roughhouse tactics.

I don't doubt Ray's ability to KO Floyd. But Floyd is very smart so if anyone of today era at welterweight could last 15 with him, it would be Floyd.

So true..Ray carried a lot of guys..

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 03:31 AM