Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins-Calzaghe official? (In Vegas April 12?), 1 Topic Merged Here
easywork
post Jan 4 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,491

Hopkins-Calzaghe in Vegas on April 12th?

"I believe the date the 11th or the 12th of April. I know I'm just looking to make it happen. I don't believe anything is signed yet. I got a letter from Arnold Joseph and Richard Schaeffer saying that we have an oral agreement. I could say oral agreements have stood up for the last five years of my career. They expressed to me that we have a deal and I'm expecting an official confirmation on that no later than Monday. I was hoping to hear something yesterday or today, but I'm expecting things to be wrapped up the middle of next week the latest," stated light heavyweight king Bernard Hopkins in a recent interview.

Hopkins revealed that the fight would likely take place in Las Vegas at the Mandalay Bay or the MGM Grand and he hopes that HBO will be willing to do another 24/7 series for the fight. "I think maybe with a 24/7 if everybody is willing to pitch in, that's HBO, Golden Boy and Frank Warren, if they're willing to pitch in because that ain't free, but I think it would do everybody justice, not only in our bank accounts, but I think the fans will get to see the behind the scenes back and forth that goes on with the game. Again, this ain't a salespitch to convince anybody, I'm just saying that this is one of them kind of fights where I think 24/7 is needed to uplift what's already there. Coming off the heels of the big blockbuster that happened on December 8 one month later, I think it would be great."

Hopkins also revealed that he's been training lightly for the past two or three months, but he's planning on beginning serious training for the fight in about two or three weeks. Along with Brother Nasseem and Freddie Roach, Hopkins is considering reuniting with Mackie Shillstone. "I didn't use him for the Winky Wright for one reason or the other, but for this fight I see that his biggest weapon is punches in bunches and trust me, from what I've experienced with the Tarver fight with Mackie Shilstone, he got me to the point where I was throwing so many punches per round that it was unbelievable."

When asked whether or not Calzaghe would be one of the toughest southpaws he's ever faced, Hopkins emphatically stated, "Oh, No. No. No. Absolutely not. The best southpaw I ever fought in terms of being tricky is John David Jackson." In fact, Hopkins went so far as to say that Calzaghe was at the bottom of the list of southpaws he's faced, behind the likes of Robert Allen, Antonio Tarver and Winky Wright.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jan 4 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Well I guess we'll see. Hopkins is very confident and thats always a great weapon. But he'll have to throw more than just 10 punches a round to keep pace with Joe who will not let him rest at all.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 4 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

Biggest fight of the 08' year,.....I can't wait,....Lets send another one back across the Ocean!!

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 4 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I still cant believe people think this is such a walk in the park for Calzaghge. First of all, what troubles ole Hopkins is speed/athletic ability/strenght...only reason Taylor was as competitive as he was.

Clazgahe doesn't have big power. The guy throws pitty pat slaps...he throws alot of them though thats for sure. Kessler is a bad dude...but defense wise, he is absolute shit compared to the 43 year old. Kessler backs straight up with no head movement and Calzaghe was able to catch him with straights. Hopkins gives Calzgahe a whole new look. He is not the defensively inept Jeff Lacy who looked like total shit against Peter Manfredo and that other guy Segeri whatever. Manfredo could have beaten Lacy had he stuck to his original gameplan. I like Jeff but he was one of the most overrated fighters in boxing just like Pantera Miranda IS/WAS....just a strong guy who fans got excited about.

Calzaghe has never been in here with anyone half as good as Hopkins. Calzgahe might win by outworking Hopkins but I wouldn't be suprised if he looks the more worn down, beat up, roughed up fighter at the end of the night. I dont expect Calzgahe to hit Hopkins clean with those pitty pat slaps he throwing against Lacy, Manfredo, and Kessler.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 5 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,253

I dont expect Calzgahe to hit Hopkins clean with those pitty pat slaps he throwing against Lacy, Manfredo, and Kessler

Nope. And if he does land some of those winging slaps, he's gonna be eating jailhouse right hands coming straight down the pike. Perhaps uppercuts too. Counters. This is a good matchup on paper. I think Hopkins will diffuse this guy.

+Quote Post
Blayde
post Jan 5 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,655

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Jan 5 2008, 05:19 AM) [snapback]373468[/snapback]
Calzaghe has never been in here with anyone half as good as Hopkins. Calzgahe might win by outworking Hopkins but I wouldn't be suprised if he looks the more worn down, beat up, roughed up fighter at the end of the night. I dont expect Calzgahe to hit Hopkins clean with those pitty pat slaps he throwing against Lacy, Manfredo, and Kessler.

Ok, so if Kessler isnt half as good as Hopkins, who da hell in Hopkins record is half as good at Calzaghe? Lets forget about Jones and Taylor because Hopkins lost these fights. A blown up Winky? Blown up welterweights like Oscar and Tito? Tarver?

Come on, man. That argument doesnt make sense. Calzaghes record isnt really great, but Hopkins' is also clearly overrated, although its a bit better than Calzaghe's. Future might tell us something different though depending on how Kessler will look in the future. IMO Kessler at 168 is better than Winky at 170, Oscar and Tito at 160 and also Tarver at 175.

This post has been edited by Blayde: Jan 5 2008, 10:32 AM

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 5 2008, 12:43 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,253

IMO Kessler at 168 is better than Winky at 170, Oscar and Tito at 160 and also Tarver at 175.

I disagree. IMO, Winky, Oscar AND Tito are all better fighters, skill-wise, than Kessler. The one advantage Kessler probably enjoys over them all, at 168, is punching power. But I would say Winky and Oscar are more complete fighters, hell maybe even Tito., and that P4P Tito is the mure pure puncher. That said, Kessler was done after 6-7 rounds. He had nothing left in the gas tank, something none of the aforementioned three have ever been in their respective primes or in their comfort zones. What's more, his foot movement and balance were for shit. He stood stright up and down, and most times square.

Like you said, time will tell. Styles make fights, and that is the only thing, at this point in Hopkins' career, that keeps Joe in the game. Cause boxingwise, skill set for skill set, Joe Calzage does not do ANYTHING better than Bernard Hopkins. The only reason Joe gets a "W" at this point, and it is definitely possible, is if he just "out actives" Bernard. We've already seen with the Taylor fights, that the judges will award inneffective aggression if you are the fighter perceived to have more money in you for the industry to squeeze out, so it is distinctly possible that we could see Joe awarded a victory for those wack ass wining 5-7 punch hook-to-the body flurries that we saw versus Kessler. Very possible. But on the other side of that fucking coin, this is Bernard Hopkins we're talking about here. When the fuck has ANYBODY landed that kind of shit 5-7 times in a row? Roy Jones wasn't landing any of that shit and Roy was at LEAST...at LEAST as fast, and much more of an ackward guy and better fighter at the time he and Bernard fought.

I can envision Hopkins smothering, tieing up, and roughing up Joe all night long. I could imagine a stinker of a fight to the common guy too.. I can see Hopkins winning a decicion. I could also see Hopkins losing a decision in a fight where he comes out unmarked too. Who knows. We'll see. At a current +180, I laid down some money on Bernard. If that number increases to make Hopkins a bigger underdog, which I doubt - ESPECIALLY as he talks leading up to the fight and people see and hear him - then I will lay some more on him. If that number comes in, I may lay some on Joe.

I favor Hopkins to win this fight. I just think he has the more complete game. That does not mean he wins.

+Quote Post
Blayde
post Jan 5 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,655

I just dont get why Oscar and Tito are seen as such good fighters at MIDDLEWEIGHT. I mean you just cant forget about size and physical attributes. Besides Oscar wasnt in his best shape against Sturm, but he struggled a lot in that fight. And Tito didnt have a chance against Winky. Ok, thats good for Winky, but doesnt change the fact that there was a huge difference between their levels at 160. No one can tell me Winky would be able to beat a Kessler like that!?

+Quote Post
Future_Champ
post Jan 5 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Amateur

Member No.: 6,572

QUOTE(Blayde @ Jan 5 2008, 12:55 PM) [snapback]373492[/snapback]
I just dont get why Oscar and Tito are seen as such good fighters at MIDDLEWEIGHT. I mean you just cant forget about size and physical attributes. Besides Oscar wasnt in his best shape against Sturm, but he struggled a lot in that fight. And Tito didnt have a chance against Winky. Ok, thats good for Winky, but doesnt change the fact that there was a huge difference between their levels at 160. No one can tell me Winky would be able to beat a Kessler like that!?

You cant compare the Trinidad that lost to Winky with the Trinidad that was knocked out by Hopkins six years earlier.Trinidad was in his prime back then. Hopkins haters try to forget how Trinidad just got done destroying William Joppy at middle weight before he fought Hopkins so Trinidad definatly had his power at middlewieght, he just couldnt hit Hopkins.But i dont know why people compare past opponets in boxing, that means nothing cause styles make fights. Calzaghe isnt going to be effective with his high punch output style because he will be worn down by Hopkins couterpunching, DEFENSE, and body punching. I think Hopkins will take the fight over late and we might see a stopage.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 5 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

To be honest, I dont think Kessler is any better than Tarver.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 09:12 AM