Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skills vs. Popularity
The Original MrF...
post Jan 29 2013, 02:13 AM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

Also, let me be fair, the same thing applies to Blacks in certain positions... Black Quarterbacks for example were not the norm for years, so any time we had a black QB, he was given much more media attention than some of his non black contemporaries. In some cases that worked in reverse because many caught more scrutiny as well. Winning cures all of those things though. Coming from the ATL and being a BIG Falcons fan, I know how a city can become polarized by race because of a player.

Imagine how things would shake out if we had an Asian QB in the NFL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 29 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #22

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 29 2013, 12:13 AM) *
Also, let me be fair, the same thing applies to Blacks in certain positions... Black Quarterbacks for example were not the norm for years, so any time we had a black QB, he was given much more media attention than some of his non black contemporaries. In some cases that worked in reverse because many caught more scrutiny as well. Winning cures all of those things though. Coming from the ATL and being a BIG Falcons fan, I know how a city can become polarized by race because of a player.

Race and sports have been linked hand and hand for awhile. Going back to Jack Johnson, Ali and many greats. Johnny Maziel is the first freshman to win the Heisman award, why because he played like a black dude. Vick played he same way at V Tech and he never even got a mention! Johnny M does the option QB style and he is prized wildly. Go figure.

Race differently has something to do with the way certain athletes get covered. They talking heads for the NFL bitched when Jon Harrabaugh benched that overrated asshole in Alex Smith but when Jeff Fisher benched Vince Young it was a great coaching move and the sad part was Vince was winning.

Pac could do no wrong in the media's eyes, even his losses were applauded, Mayweather he burns money at a club that he was paid to do and he a miscreant. Go figure. I don't get the double standards. This goes back to popularity and skill sometimes popularity is larger than the fighter's skill set. By the way, if Jeremy Lin were black, he wouldn't be in the league.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 31 2013, 02:09 PM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Popularity is key in boxing. As long as you're popular, you can have the shittiest skill set known to mankind, and people will still love you. I've seen some highly skilled fighters over the years, go unnoticed.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Plah @ Jan 29 2013, 12:19 AM) *
Floyd.. is that you? haha jk.. Spot on.

i've made these arguments in other forums years before floyd said it. i also made the argument about pac avoiding slick black fighters about a year before bhop or john david jackson mentioned it as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 02:36 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 29 2013, 01:37 AM) *
Bravo. Lebron comes to mind when I read that. The guy is so under appreciated, we've been spoiled by his phenomenal play that people just overlook it because he does it so commonly

i can't speak on lebron. i stopped watching a couple years after jordan retired. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i know kobe wishes he was jordan.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 29 2013, 02:13 AM) *

if doug williams, warren moon or randall cunningham were white....they'd be household names.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 31 2013, 02:47 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 31 2013, 02:09 PM) *
Popularity is key in boxing. As long as you're popular, you can have the shittiest skill set known to mankind, and people will still love you. I've seen some highly skilled fighters over the years, go unnoticed.

brandon rios....

ivan calderon...

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 1 2013, 07:48 AM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 31 2013, 02:36 PM) *
i can't speak on lebron. i stopped watching a couple years after jordan retired. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i know kobe wishes he was jordan.

Amen to that... Me too.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 1 2013, 07:49 AM
Post #29

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 31 2013, 02:39 PM) *
if doug williams, warren moon or randall cunningham were white....they'd be household names.

Also if Tim Tebow were black he'd be packing grocery bags at Kroger.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 1 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 1 2013, 07:49 AM) *
Also if Tim Tebow were black he'd be packing grocery bags at Kroger.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i never had the pleasure of watching him play. i only caught the highlights of him kneeling and praying.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 01:17 PM