IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Khan vs Peterson...Perception is Starting to Change (NO SPOILERS!), Is anybody else overlooking Peterson? (Preview/Poll Added!)
Khan vs. Peterson: Preview and Poll
Who Wins?
Khan by Dec (Close) [ 4 ] ** [57.14%]
Khan by Dec (Wide) [ 1 ] ** [14.29%]
Khan by KO/TKO [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Peterson by Dec (Close) [ 1 ] ** [14.29%]
Peterson by Dec (Wide) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Peterson by KO/TKO [ 1 ] ** [14.29%]
Draw [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
DQ (Indicate Loser in Response) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
Cshel86
post Nov 14 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Added a poll and pinning this up as a preview thread! Vote and comment!

I must be honest, I almost didn't give Peterson a chance after the fight was announced this summer, but Im sure his motivation is through the roof at this point. He's fighting in his hometown, and it appears that he's been severely overlooked, which is a MAJOR motivational factor. I mean damn, Khan is babbling about who's he wants next, and the winner of whoever, blah, blah, blah. Peterson could very well be the guy to fuck up Khan's little plans in his hello kitty planner.

Peterson really has nothing to lose, and most viewers (the unqualified ones), are already giving the fight to Khan. After I saw what I saw on Saturday night (JMM/Pac), anything is possible. Im looking at how Peterson withstood Ortiz's shit, and fought all the way back to a draw. His power isn't the topic of discussion, which is probably why people wont give him a chance. My point is, as long as he has 1 or more KO wins on his record, then he's very much capable of producing one. Hell, Malignaggi almost knocked Diaz out in their rematch, and we all know Paulie punching power is as soft as a baby's butt.

The thing is, Peterson needs to find a way to cut the ring off, so Khan wont have the opportunity to circle him...like he always does his opponents. Head movement is also a big key factor for Peterson, because we all know Khan throws 3-4 punches at once, then moves out. No one can question Peterson's technique, but he has to either be quick or find a way to turn Khan in order to neutralize his offense, and execute his shit as quick and precisely as possible. Peterson's biggest mistake would be to stand there in all hopes of trading with Khan, and end up with a busted up face and low punch output...or possibly finishing the fight on his back.

Oh yeah...I hate Anthony Peterson! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Nov 14 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,413

This is a very live fight for Khan Shel. Peterson got heart. He hit Ortiz with an overhand right that might put Khan to sleep. Looking forward to this fight and I will give Amir Khan credit if he pulls this one off in an impressive manner.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 14 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (HazConvictedFelonMane @ Nov 14 2011, 01:32 PM) *
This is a very live fight for Khan Shel. Peterson got heart. He hit Ortiz with an overhand right that might put Khan to sleep. Looking forward to this fight and I will give Amir Khan credit if he pulls this one off in an impressive manner.

Exactly! Khan hasn't really had a live opponent since Maidana. Though Maidana was clearly outclassed most of the fight, he still almost gave it Khan like mail on Sunday! Im thinking that if Peterson can neutralize Khan's offense, then will have a great chance at pulling off an upset...maybe not a KO, but he needs to be aggressive enough to steal the cards convincingly. I will credit Khan for pulling this off, though its his fight to win anyway.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 14 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Exactly! Khan hasn't really had a live opponent since Maidana. Though Maidana was clearly outclassed most of the fight, he still almost gave it Khan like mail on Sunday! Im thinking that if Peterson can neutralize Khan's offense, then will have a great chance at pulling off an upset...maybe not a KO, but he needs to be aggressive enough to steal the cards convincingly. I will credit Khan for pulling this off, though its his fight to win anyway.

While I'm not exactly crazy 'bout Khan, I'm even less sold on Anthony Peterson. I think Khan wins this fight, w/ Peterson able to get off here and there. You're right, he hasn't had a live opponent since Maidana...but the key is, he's had THAT opponent...and if we're being honest, save for the 10th round on, he pretty much dominated that fight. He controlled the fight against a guy, who made Victor Ortiz "take his ball and go home". Yes, that Ortiz that ALLOWED Peterson to get back in the fight, b/c (for whatever reason) he's his own worst enemy. He hit Ortiz w/ that right and while Ortiz felt it, he didn't go home. Consider this: who wins Bradley vs. Khan? Then consider what Bradley did to Lamont.

I know, I know...you can't buy into the "if fighter A, lost to fighter B, who lost to fighter C; we must conclude fighter C will beat fighter A". However, it does give some insight as to what may likely happen should they fight. Save some hometown adrenaline due to the crowd, I dont' see Peterson winning this fight...I mean, why else would Khan fight Peterson in his hometown...better yet, why would Golden Boy, make this fight in Peterson's backyard?

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 14 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 14 2011, 11:36 AM) *
I must be honest, I almost didn't give Peterson a chance after the fight was announced this summer, but Im sure his motivation is through the roof at this point. He's fighting in his hometown, and it appears that he's been severely overlooked, which is a MAJOR motivational factor. I mean damn, Khan is babbling about who's he wants next, and the winner of whoever, blah, blah, blah. Peterson could very well be the guy to fuck up Khan's little plans in his hello kitty planner.

Peterson really has nothing to lose, and most viewers (the unqualified ones), are already giving the fight to Khan. After I saw what I saw on Saturday night (JMM/Pac), anything is possible. Im looking at how Peterson withstood Ortiz's shit, and fought all the way back to a draw. His power isn't the topic of discussion, which is probably why people wont give him a chance. My point is, as long as he has 1 or more KO wins on his record, then he's very much capable of producing one. Hell, Malignaggi almost knocked Diaz out in their rematch, and we all know Paulie punching power is as soft as a baby's butt.

The thing is, Peterson needs to find a way to cut the ring off, so Khan wont have the opportunity to circle him...like he always does his opponents. Head movement is also a big key factor for Peterson, because we all know Khan throws 3-4 punches at once, then moves out. No one can question Peterson's technique, but he has to either be quick or find a way to turn Khan in order to neutralize his offense, and execute his shit as quick and precisely as possible. Peterson's biggest mistake would be to stand there in all hopes of trading with Khan, and end up with a busted up face and low punch output...or possibly finishing the fight on his back.

Oh yeah...I hate Anthony Peterson! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Thoughts?

I agree that this is a 50/50 bout. I respect Khan for taking on a very live opponent. Yeah, I agree with your basic assesment (although a k.o is probably not going to happen), because when he lost to Ortiz (only saw bits of him vs. Bradley) he never seemed able to really assert himself the way that I thought that he could by using his boxing skills and maybe that's because he wasn't 100% hell bent on bringing the pain, or maybe he just isn't really that top tier. Has Peterson learnt how to elevate his game after self-analysis of his losses to Bradley and Ortiz? Can he elevate his game? Hopefully he's motivated and hopefully so's Khan.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 14 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 14 2011, 02:31 PM) *
While I'm not exactly crazy 'bout Khan, I'm even less sold on Anthony Peterson. I think Khan wins this fight, w/ Peterson able to get off here and there. You're right, he hasn't had a live opponent since Maidana...but the key is, he's had THAT opponent...and if we're being honest, save for the 10th round on, he pretty much dominated that fight. He controlled the fight against a guy, who made Victor Ortiz "take his ball and go home". Yes, that Ortiz that ALLOWED Peterson to get back in the fight, b/c (for whatever reason) he's his own worst enemy. He hit Ortiz w/ that right and while Ortiz felt it, he didn't go home. Consider this: who wins Bradley vs. Khan? Then consider what Bradley did to Lamont.

I know, I know...you can't buy into the "if fighter A, lost to fighter B, who lost to fighter C; we must conclude fighter C will beat fighter A". However, it does give some insight as to what may likely happen should they fight. Save some hometown adrenaline due to the crowd, I dont' see Peterson winning this fight...I mean, why else would Khan fight Peterson in his hometown...better yet, why would Golden Boy, make this fight in Peterson's backyard?

Dont worry Noles, Im waaay less sold on Anthony Peterson than you. I hate Anthony Peterson! Thats got to be the most undisciplined little brother in the sport...reminds me of Marcus Vick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Lamont on the other hand, is the focal point. I get what you're saying about the way his fight went with Bradley, definitely not very impressive. I just give him more of a chance than Khan's recent opponents. I already stated my doubts about him in this fight, but I feel like Khan is somewhat overlooking him because there are other big fights within his reach that will materialize within the next 3-4 months. I was just looking at how he withstood Ortiz's punishment, though Ortiz is considered a head case, he still delivers those "clock-cleaners".

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 14 2011, 02:34 PM) *
I agree that this is a 50/50 bout. I respect Khan for taking on a very live opponent. Yeah, I agree with your basic assesment (although a k.o is probably not going to happen), because when he lost to Ortiz (only saw bits of him vs. Bradley) he never seemed able to really assert himself the way that I thought that he could by using his boxing skills and maybe that's because he wasn't 100% hell bent on bringing the pain, or maybe he just isn't really that top tier. Has Peterson learnt how to elevate his game after self-analysis of his losses to Bradley and Ortiz? Can he elevate his game? Hopefully he's motivated and hopefully so's Khan.

Hell, I believe that Peterson is a mandatory, so that may be the only reason the fight is taking place. The first negotiations for this fight were nothing short of a kick in the ass and slap in the back of the head to follow. I have to read up on it again, but if I remember correctly, Team Khan wanted the upper end of a 70/30 split and I dont believe Peterson would've received any of the UK money. Then the saddest part was, they tried to make Peterson sign a rematch clause with the SAME stipulations, even though he would've been the WBA champ, had he won. What kind of BS was that?

Can he elevate his game? That remains to be seen, so I guess we will have to see next month...

+Quote Post
Tha Docta
post Nov 14 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,774

not impressed with Peterson at all. i dont think he has a chance in hell of winning this fight.

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Nov 14 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

Peterson just doesn't have that "It" factor. I think he will have his moments but will lose a UD to Khan.

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Nov 14 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #9

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 14 2011, 03:31 PM) *
I mean, why else would Khan fight Peterson in his hometown...better yet, why would Golden Boy, make this fight in Peterson's backyard?

There is a boat load of local talent here that is going to be on display....

Icluding a newly signed prospect in Dusty Harrison (17 yr old, 2-0)

And ofcoarse Heavyweight Seth Mitchell who I had the brief pleasure of speaking with Saturday night...

The card is loaded with D.C talent...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 14 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Nov 14 2011, 10:40 PM) *
There is a boat load of local talent here that is going to be on display....

Icluding a newly signed prospect in Dusty Harrison (17 yr old, 2-0)

And ofcoarse Heavyweight Seth Mitchell who I had the brief pleasure of speaking with Saturday night...

The card is loaded with D.C talent...

That question was aimed at how little GBP thinks of Peterson's chances. If they thought he really and truly could beat Khan, there is NO WAY they fight in D.C. NONE.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 12:26 AM