IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.25 Million Buys Official - Mayweather-Ortiz 2nd highest grossing non-heavyweight fight, Jeopardy anyone?
Cshel86
post Oct 31 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #41

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

People may not be getting the fights that they want out of the sport, but it appreciating the fights that are being made is the key. Hell, Mayweather could've not fought for the rest of the year, and folks would've complained. Being the fact that he did decide to fight this year, and then had great undercards fights on the card, was an event in itself.

Yeah some fights are dull, but thats all part of the game. Hopkins/Dawson was terrible for the two rounds that it lasted, but hey, the undercards didn't disappoint, so I didn't feel completely robbed out of my money.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MontoyaWA
post Oct 31 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #42

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,414

QUOTE (thehype @ Oct 28 2011, 11:56 AM) *
I hear what you're saying, but honestly, it was actually a decent card and Ortiz was taking a nice little beatdown before he started with the head-ramming. The 1-2 at the end stopped the abuse a little sooner than most were hoping, but I don't necessarily blame Mayweather for that. Honestly, I'd much rather pay to see something like that than pay to see another fight like Pacquiao vs. Mosley.

Not really sure I believe you about not buying Mayweather vs. Pacquiao though. After waiting so long for it to happen, how can you NOT buy it? Unless, of course, you're expecting it to be a lopsided unanimous decision for Mayweather. LOL.

Actually, I can see you not buying it....but I'll bet you watch it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I promise you I'll never buy another PPV boxing fight, but yeah I will watch, just won't be paying for it in any way. It kills me that this PPV was followed up the Dawson/Hopkins PPV, which I would have never considered purchasing, I just find it ironic...

I went against my better judgment paying $70 bucks for a PPV fight, but I honesestly thought this was going to be a good one. I think a lot a people forget how this whole card actually unfolded. Alvarez/Gomez fight was a complete dud as well, with a phantom stoppage. Vargas/Lopez was the best fight on the card, and that is the type of matchup I'd expect to see at my local state fair. Nothing special about the card when it was all said and done.

+Quote Post
jlupi
post Oct 31 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #43

Junior Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 2,117

What was interesting is that unlike almost all of these announcements, there was not a single mention of HBO Pay-Per-View (which distributed this card) or any comments from Mark Taffet from HBO PPV in this release. None of the pertinent HBO contacts were listed at the bottom of the release either. Let’s just say that this raised the eyebrows of everyone in boxing and that there are some interesting theories as to why they were left out (I think you can figure out what it is). One boxing insider told me flatly, “Without the network being involved in the announcement, it’s not official.”

I tried to get a comment from someone at HBO and was told by a spokesperson that the numbers put out were verified- but at the same time, they couldn’t go on the record.

Hey, they announced it and I have absolutely no reason to doubt them. None at all.

Steve Kim, Max Boxing

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 3 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #44

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

With Floyd doing numbers like 1.25M against Ortiz (which wasn't a PPV-worthy dance partner, though he had a puncher's chance), thats great leverage to use in negotiations for the Pac fight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post
jlupi
post Nov 3 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #45

Junior Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 2,117

his undercard didnt hurt. a couple of popular mexicans are good for 3-400,000

This post has been edited by jlupi: Nov 3 2011, 03:32 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 3 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #46

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (jlupi @ Nov 3 2011, 04:32 PM) *
his undercard didnt hurt. a couple of popular mexicans are good for 3-400,000

+1

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:17 PM