IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Will No Longer Acknowledge a '0', Have at it...
Cshel86
post Aug 31 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Being "undefeated" nowadays is no longer an effective promotional device (in my opinion). There is only one flashy undefeated guy out there, and we know who he is. He effectively used it for promotional purposes, but this is the LAST time, and I repeat, the LAST time I want to hear a fighter bragging about being undefeated, especially if:
1. You dont have enough personality to save your life or keep me awake while watching your interviews (or lack there of)
2. You cant put asses in seats (other than your family members, training team, and entourage)
3. Your ring appeal is sub-par or I know for a fact that I will have to be drunk in order to sit through one of your fights
4. You feel that the world owes you something because you're undefeated

When I hear about a young "undefeated" prospect, I find it hard to hold down breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only undefeated fighters that I care about are the ones who dont care about losing their '0'.

Thoughts?

This post has been edited by cshel86: Aug 31 2011, 09:48 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Aug 31 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (cshel86 @ Aug 31 2011, 07:47 AM) *
Being "undefeated" nowadays is no longer an effective promotional device (in my opinion). There is only one flashy undefeated guy out there, and we know who he is. He effectively used it for promotional purposes, but this is the LAST time, and I repeat, the LAST time I want to hear a fighter bragging about being undefeated, especially if:
1. You dont have enough personality to save your life or keep me awake while watching your interviews (or lack there of)
2. You cant put asses in seats (other than your family members, training team, and entourage)
3. Your ring appeal is sub-par or I know for a fact that I will have to be drunk in order to sit through one of your fights
4. You feel that the world owes you something because you're undefeated

When I hear about a young "undefeated" prospect, I find it hard to hold down breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The only undefeated fighters that I care about are the ones who dont care about losing their '0'.

Thoughts?

That bar is a tad high, but I agree with your general sentiments.

Good post.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 31 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2011, 10:59 AM) *
That bar is a tad high, but I agree with your general sentiments.

Good post.

Yeah, I guess they have to lose that goose egg and then go on a manic conquest in all hopes of not getting their asses kicked again.

+Quote Post
Seek
post Aug 31 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #4

An inbred jackass...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,971

Man Canelo is one massive dude and I like his work ethic recently. Definitely going to be a huge star in boxing. The general public outside of his mexican fanbase are catching on. I hope they put him in there with a real challenge his next fight though. It's time for the test baby

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

let's be honest....tv doesn't care about fighters without the '0' lose the '0' and watch ur money get cut in half. it may not mean much to average fans...but for the guys training hard everyday...dedicating themselves to their craft....all the sacrifices and discipline...that '0' means the world. all the best have lost their '0' at some point...but NOT losing it is what pushed them to the highest heights.

sugar ray robinson was undefeated in the amateurs and had about 70 fights before his first loss to jake lamotta.

roberto duran had about 42 fights before he lost his '0' he went on to win approximately 30 something more before he lost to leonard in their rematch.

the list of fighters who have made it to 40 wins with no losses is a very short one.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 31 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #6

I fucked with the wrong monkey...

Group: Guests
Member No.: 12,696

what matters is who you fight. if you're fighting good competition while remaining undefeated... you've really done something

This post has been edited by Eighty88Eight: Aug 31 2011, 01:38 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 31 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Eighty88Eight @ Aug 31 2011, 02:37 PM) *
what matters is who you fight. if you're fighting good competition while remaining undefeated... you've really done something

how does one measure "good competition?"

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 31 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 02:33 PM) *
let's be honest....tv doesn't care about fighters without the '0' lose the '0' and watch ur money get cut in half. it may not mean much to average fans...but for the guys training hard everyday...dedicating themselves to their craft....all the sacrifices and discipline...that '0' means the world. all the best have lost their '0' at some point...but NOT losing it is what pushed them to the highest heights.

sugar ray robinson was undefeated in the amateurs and had about 70 fights before his first loss to jake lamotta.

roberto duran had about 42 fights before he lost his '0' he went on to win approximately 30 something more before he lost to leonard in their rematch.

the list of fighters who have made it to 40 wins with no losses is a very short one.

You have mentioned GREAT fighters that were undefeated at that time prior to their loss. We have been blessed with the undefeated fighters who THINK they are the greatest ever. You should carry yourself in this manner at all times, but to not even live up to the reputation of being the best is simply unacceptable. Sure that '0' motivates a fighter to train hard, but if they continue to duck the best in exchange for fighting tomato cans to keep that '0'...then their confidence and security will always be questioned.

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 31 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 31 2011, 02:51 PM) *
how does one measure "good competition?"

is floyd mayweather a good fighter?

+Quote Post
Eighty88Eight
post Aug 31 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #10

Robinson was 40-0 until his first lost. not no 70-0.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:11 PM