IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showtime:Ortiz/Lopez&Matthysse/Soto@9(ET)/6(PT)-SPOILERS, Prelms 2 hrs. before on Show.Extme.(No New Threads or Public Streams)
Jack 1000
post Jun 23 2012, 02:41 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

For all the on-going and post-fight reactions to tonight's big double-header on Showtime. Preliminary fights begin two hours earlier on Showtime Extreme. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Ortiz: 146.5 lbs
Lopez: 144.75 lbs
Matthysse: 138.75 lbs
Soto: 139.5 lbs

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/003_Ortiz_IMG_9039-1.jpg) (IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/004_Lopez_IMG_9051-1.jpg) (IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/005_Matthysse_IMG_9014.jpg) (IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/006_Soto_IMG_9023.jpg)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Lopez/Ortiz: I'll go with my gut feeling and say that this could possibly be an upset...

1. Ortiz could possibly be overtrained, after two long training camps of fights that fell through.
2. This year, thus far, "last-minute" opponents have made a great account of themselves and either been robbed or have exposed the star fighter (ex: Campillo, Nunez (in the Lattimore fight), Lopez in the Vargas fight (last year)
3. Ortiz could possibly have a mental lapse if things dont go his way early, or Lopez shows some balls.

Now, if Lopez fights a stupid fight and hands his ass to Ortiz, then the assumed outcome will occur. It's clear that Lopez is the smaller man here, but he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Another kicker is the the fact that Canelo fight has already been announced, which is added mental pressure for the mentally-faint Ortiz.

Matthysse/Soto: I haven't seen much of Soto over the recent years, but this is boxing, so anything could happen.

1. Soto has been at 140 for over a year, so he should be comfortable tonight.
2. Soto has a height advantage, not sure how that will play in his favor.
3. Matthysse punches with conviction, and all intentions on sending his opponent to the moon.
4. If Soto plays the "Mexican-type fight" role in a smart manner, but effectively cutting off the ring (rather than just walking towards Lucas), then we'll see how Matthysse adjusts.

Overall, this is a great card!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jun 23 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #4

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 23 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Lopez/Ortiz: I'll go with my gut feeling and say that this could possibly be an upset...

1. Ortiz could possibly be overtrained, after two long training camps of fights that fell through.
2. This year, thus far, "last-minute" opponents have made a great account of themselves and either been robbed or have exposed the star fighter (ex: Campillo, Nunez (in the Lattimore fight), Lopez in the Vargas fight (last year)
3. Ortiz could possibly have a mental lapse if things dont go his way early, or Lopez shows some balls.

Now, if Lopez fights a stupid fight and hands his ass to Ortiz, then the assumed outcome will occur. It's clear that Lopez is the smaller man here, but he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Another kicker is the the fact that Canelo fight has already been announced, which is added mental pressure for the mentally-faint Ortiz.

Matthysse/Soto: I haven't seen much of Soto over the recent years, but this is boxing, so anything could happen.

1. Soto has been at 140 for over a year, so he should be comfortable tonight.
2. Soto has a height advantage, not sure how that will play in his favor.
3. Matthysse punches with conviction, and all intentions on sending his opponent to the moon.
4. If Soto plays the "Mexican-type fight" role in a smart manner, but effectively cutting off the ring (rather than just walking towards Lucas), then we'll see how Matthysse adjusts.

Overall, this is a great card!

I think for Lopez/Ortiz, I will go for Ortiz by a close decision. I think the judges will be on-edge to try to be fair after Bradley-Pacquiao, so Delahoya's "house fighter" advantage might be neutralized a bit. Now is Victor gonna fight like against Berto in a FOTY type situation, OR is he gonna wanna run and hide and smile ala Delahoya if things don't go his way? (Mayweather?) Lopez has a great chance if the Ortiz that fought Mayweather shows up. If the Ortiz that fought Berto shows up, he'll win around 116-112.

On the other fight, I am gonna take Soto by SD, maybe controversial. Matthyssee almost ALWAYS comes out on the short end of the stick in one SD loss after another. So this is gonna be one of those 115-113 Soto, 115-113 Matthyssee and a two-wide 117-111 Soto type of outcome. It won't be the type of robbery associated with Bradley-Pacquiao, it will also come down to Lucus not being busy enough in close rounds, where Soto may be favored, but not outrageous in the results. Lucus just won't do enough again!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 23 2012, 06:14 PM) *
I think for Lopez/Ortiz, I will go for Ortiz by a close decision. I think the judges will be on-edge to try to be fair after Bradley-Pacquiao, so Delahoya's "house fighter" advantage might be neutralized a bit. Now is Victor gonna fight like against Berto in a FOTY type situation, OR is he gonna wanna run and hide and smile ala Delahoya if things don't go his way? (Mayweather?) Lopez has a great chance if the Ortiz that fought Mayweather shows up. If the Ortiz that fought Berto shows up, he'll win around 116-112.

On the other fight, I am gonna take Soto by SD, maybe controversial. Matthyssee almost ALWAYS comes out on the short end of the stick in one SD loss after another. So this is gonna be one of those 115-113 Soto, 115-113 Matthyssee and a two-wide 117-111 Soto type of outcome. It won't be the type of robbery associated with Bradley-Pacquiao, it will also come down to Lucus not being busy enough in close rounds, where Soto may be favored, but not outrageous in the results. Lucus just won't do enough again!

Good stuff Jack! Along with my theories of overtaining, overlooking, and mental lapses, you're correct. I think Ortiz will use his size advantage and try to bully Lopez. He actually came in bigger than the muscular Berto and had his way with him for most of the fight.

As for the possibility of Matthysse getting robbed, that TOTALLY slipped my mind, maybe because I didn't see this one going the distance. Another thing that you have to look at when you bring up the Matthysse robberies, is the fact that both of those guys (Judah and Alexander) are slick as shit and are both fast starters, Judah more so than Alexander.

Matthysse allowed Judah to bank those early rounds, then he beat Judah's ass in the middle rounds, and left the latter rounds in the air. That was my same assessment for the Alexander fight, but now that I went back and looked at it, they were going tit-fot-tat, problem is, again, Matthysse was a bit too relaxed early on in the fight (maybe because he wanted to be the counterpuncher).

Being the fact that he's been robber twice, he will more than likely start quick tonight. He HAS to be first, and follow up on any good shots that he places. All that we know about Matthysse is that he's a BIG puncher, but we haven't seen him stop anybody in the U.S., which could have served as his demise when it came down to the cards. No doubt that this fight tonight will be a war...while it lasts.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jun 23 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Charlo vs. Douglin - Gotta love the middleweight division.

Douglin's pressing the action, but Charlo's not runnng away. Close first round.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Jun 23 2012, 06:30 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Great first round for Charlo and Douglin!

Charlos's sharp as shit with his jab and ESPECIALLY that right hand! Dammit is that right hand symbolic! He doesn't give a FUCK if Duglin is a southpaw, he's fighting him like he's orthodox.

Douglin had some good lefts hands that landed, but for the most part, he missed a lot of them.

Charlo 10 - 9

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Why is Douglin so damn cool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) He still didn't get the round, but he landed a couple of left hands.

PS: No way in hell my mom could be my trainer...she gave me enough shit trying to teacher me how to drive.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jun 23 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:31 PM) *
Great first round for Charlo and Douglin!

Charlos's sharp as shit with his jab and ESPECIALLY that right hand! Dammit is that right hand symbolic! He doesn't give a FUCK if Duglin is a southpaw, he's fighting him like he's orthodox.

Douglin had some good lefts hands that landed, but for the most part, he missed a lot of them.

Charlo 10 - 9

Yeah. Although Douglin's sort of walking into it, but Charlo's got good hands.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 23 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Gave the 3rd to Douglin as a comparative round, since he dicked up the first 2 rounds. Their heads are gonna collide soon, I can feel that shit coming...

+Quote Post

20 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 06:43 AM