> Boxing Gloves, I need help in choosing 16 ounce sparring gloves
Spyder
post Apr 26 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #21

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 26 2010, 09:01 AM) *
Spyder, how big are they on the inside? This is probably the pair that I would want to buy but I am always concerned about buying stuff like shoes and gloves without trying them first. The security blanket here is that they have laces, but hopefully not too big on the inside. I am like a small guy, 5 6/ 140

Not too big. My hands aren't big, and they fit me securely. The laces are cool for security/peace of mind...but they really do become a pain in the ass. The hook n loop closures are the best way to go for training gloves.

If you do end up getting the lace-up pair, pick yourself up some cheap sweat bands to cover your laces instead of tape.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Apr 26 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #22

Proud American

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

I've always used Grant straps.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 26 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #23

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 26 2010, 09:21 AM) *
I had a pair like these for 3 years and they never tore on the inside. If you're looking for something a bit smaller, get the "Mexican style" training gloves. Same quality and weight, but the glove is more compacted and smaller around the fist.

You know what, you had me convinced going with this pair. Earlier today I went to a mma/boxing store downtown Toronto and the 16 ounces gloves with laces all felt a little too spacey on the inside. The velcro system definitely had the better feel.
So I called Title just to inquire about their shipping methods because there is not much information on the website in terms of money and shipping time, but the customer service rep was really clueless, he just wanted to get rid of me.
So I ordered a pair of Rival boxing gloves just now. I did spend twice as much as I wanted to, but there is no shipping cost. They are in Montreal so by ground mail they should probably arrive here by Friday and the customer service rep was really knowledgeable and explained everything to me. These rival gloves are hybrid with lace and velcro. They sell them on the Title website too.

Here are the links with the gloves on the rival website and the title web site:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/boxing-equip.../p17531507.html Rival

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-traditi...ing-gloves.html Title Boxing.

Thanks for the help guys!

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 26 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #24

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 25 2010, 09:52 PM) *
Grant!

I have/use Grant gloves..They are the best quality glove Ive ever worn..They basically mold to your hand after using them for awhile..Downside is,quality=money..I was selling fights to people and saved up 170+ bucks to buy em..Lace up of course..Gloves today have gone downhill..They don't open up enough to parry properly with and the finger part of the glove goes real far down towards the palm instead of higher up,making it easier to open the glove all the way..

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 26 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #25

The Savage

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 26 2010, 03:09 PM) *
You know what, you had me convinced going with this pair. Earlier today I went to a mma/boxing store downtown Toronto and the 16 ounces gloves with laces all felt a little too spacey on the inside. The velcro system definitely had the better feel.
So I called Title just to inquire about their shipping methods because there is not much information on the website in terms of money and shipping time, but the customer service rep was really clueless, he just wanted to get rid of me.
So I ordered a pair of Rival boxing gloves just now. I did spend twice as much as I wanted to, but there is no shipping cost. They are in Montreal so by ground mail they should probably arrive here by Friday and the customer service rep was really knowledgeable and explained everything to me. These rival gloves are hybrid with lace and velcro. They sell them on the Title website too.

Here are the links with the gloves on the rival website and the title web site:

http://www.rivalboxing.com/en/boxing-equip.../p17531507.html Rival

http://store.titleboxing.com/rival-traditi...ing-gloves.html Title Boxing.

Thanks for the help guys!

I really dislike Rival gear..The gloves in my opinion suck..I dont like the way they feel and I also don't like the way they look(which doesn't matter as long as the glove is right)..

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Apr 27 2010, 02:05 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 26 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I been using Twins/Fairtex

Fairtex are pretty good gloves.

I've got a pair of Title 14 oz and they've lasted me ages although I do need a new pair now.

I might just put some socks on my hands.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Apr 27 2010, 02:09 AM
Post #27

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Apr 27 2010, 03:05 AM) *
Fairtex are pretty good gloves.

I've got a pair of Title 14 oz and they've lasted me ages although I do need a new pair now.

I might just put some socks on my hands.

Isn't it your birthday?

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 27 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #28

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 26 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I have/use Grant gloves..They are the best quality glove Ive ever worn..They basically mold to your hand after using them for awhile..Downside is,quality=money..I was selling fights to people and saved up 170+ bucks to buy em..Lace up of course..Gloves today have gone downhill..They don't open up enough to parry properly with and the finger part of the glove goes real far down towards the palm instead of higher up,making it easier to open the glove all the way..

That's an interesting point, I haven't seen people parrying jabs like I don't even remember in how long. Now is it because of the gloves or is it a lost art. Actually, I think JM Marquez does parry on a much more consistent basis especially now that his reflexes have slowed down. Of the top of my head, I can't think of another active fighter.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 28 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #29

The Savage

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 27 2010, 10:17 PM) *
That's an interesting point, I haven't seen people parrying jabs like I don't even remember in how long. Now is it because of the gloves or is it a lost art. Actually, I think JM Marquez does parry on a much more consistent basis especially now that his reflexes have slowed down. Of the top of my head, I can't think of another active fighter.

It's a lost art..There is a lot involved with the parry and a lot that it does..It's not just to stop a jab..Watch the way Joe Louis,Marciano,Robinson,and others would parry a jab..It's almost like they are making a circle around their face and use the momentum of the opponents jab against them..They have full control over their opponents hand..They raise it up around their forehead incase the opponent throws a right hand which will make the opponent hit his own arm with his right hand(I've done it and so have my stablemates)..Also,if they throw it while you're moving around the left side of your face,your hand is right there to catch the right hand..Archie Moore did this a lot..He'd parry and would sometimes keep his arm on there when he'd see the right hand coming..The reason you parry this way is also to make their have to reload their arm and not be able to double or triple their jab..Another reason is to counter off it..You can also parry a right hand and bring them into a left hook or parry their jab and while their whole side of their face is exposed,you get a free shot on them with a right hand..The parry also drains the life out of your opponents jabbing arm..

SCIENCE!!!

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 29 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #30

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...boxing_everlast

Cool article about Everlast gloves and their plan to take back market share, redesign of their gloves, etc...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 09:34 AM