> Felix Trinidad vs Shane Mosley
SmartyBeardo
post May 1 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #11

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 27 2011, 03:18 AM) *
No takers? The fight is at 147, both guys undefeated. I am going with Shane by late stoppage.

On SSM's best day he was no BHop.

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 28 2011, 04:33 AM) *
Shane's quickness, chin and body work would see him through in end, IMO. He gets to Trinidad before Tito gets to him.

Tito would outbox him, push him around and punish him all night long. Cotto is, was and never will be the fighter or boxer that Trinidad was at Welter Weight. Cotto handled SSM. Vernon Forrest was a very good WW, but he was no Felix Trinidad at WW on his very best day.

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Apr 29 2011, 02:22 AM) *
This matchup popped in my mind not too long ago actually. I think it would have been an exciting fight! This fight looks similar to the 1st Mosley-De La Hoya fight but Mosley hurting Trinidad more and possibly getting a very late stoppage somewhere in the Championship rounds.

You mean hurting and stopping the same Trinidad that took ODLH's, Carr's, Campas', Reid's and Vargas' zeros?

I agree Shane is more of a Lightweight but at the early years of Welterweight he was still a damn quick fighter and decent power, who as a fighter has a bit more to offer than Felix. Although Tito had great power, I don't think Tito had a good enough jab or ability to outbox Mosley to set him off his game. Shane had the energy to also go 12 rounds and I think his body work would slow the attack down on Felix. I also agree that Mosley would get the better of the exchanges and his shots would have more of an effect on Tito, than Tito's shots on Mosley.

I disagree with every word of this, except possibly the quickness factor. Trinidad was a superior boxer, with better power.

In this fantasy matchup I think Mosley's speed kills Tito's power!

Tito's size, skill and power are simply too much for SSM.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 29 2011, 02:35 AM) *
Give me Mosley in this one. Generally boxers give Mosley trouble, Trinidad wouldn't have been one of those guys. Tito has power no doubt, but Mosley has a great chin. I see Mosley stopping him in the late rounds. More durable, and Tito will be there to be hit.

But Forrest, Winky and Cotto were those guys? Please.

I like SSM but this shit is truly fantasyland.

I don't think Trinidad had the build or the boxing skills like Vernon to have the same effects that he had on Mosley. Tito would also 'fight' against Shane which may work to Mosley's advantage also, who has more skills than Trinidad.

Disagree 100% here. Tito had too much size, power and skill for SSM at WW.

Trinidad most defiantly has the edge in power, but that doesn't mean his shots are always going to have the bigger effect on his opponents. Mosley has a great chin and other than Forrest, no one has ever been able to have him in danger (due to above).

You mean the same Forrest that got beat down by Mayorga twice. PBF had SSM confused and doing everything but getting on his knees and begging not to be knocked out.

Trinidad could not only be put to the canvas but could be hurt and Mosley had decent power himself and much quicker hands which would be a big factor in this bout.

Are we talking about the same Trinidad who out boxed Camacho and Whitaker? Stop with the quickness shit, please.

DLH may have not been a harder hitter than Tito but he was a much better boxer who could counter well. Trinidad would have been an easier target for Shane, who may have not traded as much like he did against DLH, but he still would have got his shots in on Tito and would have held if necessary. I think it's a close fight to pick but other than maybe power I feel Mosley had a great chin to put him through the finish line of this fight. I don't think either would have an easy time against eachother, but I do think Mosley would take the close rounds on cleaner shots and have enough power to possibly stop Trinidad late.

We are talking about the same ODLH that was Tito's leftovers by the time SSM got to him, right?

I don't think it would have been as close or exciting as you do. It would be a good fight that Tito would dominate in a comfortable UD, IMO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post May 1 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 1 2011, 05:26 PM) *
On SSM's best day he was no BHop.

Tito would outbox him, push him around and punish him all night long. Cotto is, was and never will be the fighter or boxer that Trinidad was at Welter Weight. Cotto handled SSM. Vernon Forrest was a very good WW, but he was no Felix Trinidad at WW on his very best day.

You mean hurting and stopping the same Trinidad that took ODLH's, Carr's, Campas', Reid's and Vargas' zeros?

I disagree with every word of this, except possibly the quickness factor. Trinidad was a superior boxer, with better power.

Tito's size, skill and power are simply too much for SSM.

But Forrest, Winky and Cotto were those guys? Please.

I like SSM but this shit is truly fantasyland.

Disagree 100% here. Tito had too much size, power and skill for SSM at WW.

You mean the same Forrest that got beat down by Mayorga twice. PBF had SSM confused and doing everything but getting on his knees and begging not to be knocked out.

Are we talking about the same Trinidad who out boxed Camacho and Whitaker? Stop with the quickness shit, please.

We are talking about the same ODLH that was Tito's leftovers by the time SSM got to him, right?

I don't think it would have been as close or exciting as you do. It would be a good fight that Tito would dominate in a comfortable UD, IMO.

In hind site Cotto was in his prime and fought the performance of his life with a great jab against Mosley who was on the downside at the time. Mosley took all of Cotto shots and was never hurt. Well Felix Trinidad is no Vernon Forrest either! Felix will without a doubt go down as a greater fighter, but they are very different fighters from each other.

What does Mayorga beating Forrest have anything to do with a Trinidad-Mosley match up? I assume we are talking both at their best at Welterweight..unless in this fantasy match up it involves a Mosley who is well past his prime, over trained and coming off a long period of inactivity? I don't think Mayweather (who Trinidad is nothing alike) outboxing that version of Mosley is much of an argument.

Yes we are talking about the same Trinidad that fought an aging Camacho and a coked Whitiker who neither had the power of Mosley to keep the Puerto Rican honest!

Don't make DLH out to be in anyway damaged when he fought Mosley, he was arguably by many still undefeated! Tito took nothing away from DLH other than his '0' in a very famous gift. So maybe we aren't talking the same DLH you are!

I will stop talking about the quickness shit of Mosley when you stop talking about this supposed superior skills shit of Trinidad.

I really don't see how it's such a wild suggestion that Mosley beats Trinidad?

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 2 2011, 12:31 AM) *
Ok. So we have gathered that no way Mosley can win this fight because:

• SSM is no BHop
  • Trinidad beat undefeated fighters before
  • Mosley lost to Cotto
  • Forrest lost to Mayorga
  • Tito out boxed Camacho and old Whitaker

Ok guys. The discussion ends here, no way Mosley can win this fight.

Not sure what I was thinking...

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 2 2011, 02:14 AM) *
I also think people are making too much of an issue about Mosley getting seriously hurt. Yes Trinidad hits hard, but other than the Forrest fight, Mosley has been proven to have one of the great chins. Rock solid.
Mosley is a really physically strong guy, even at 147. He even out muscled and out strengthed Margarito rather comfortably who is a big guy.

Also I'm not saying that Mosley is a great boxer, but lets not make Trinidad to be some great boxer either. He lost to Winky Wright in rather embarrassing fashion, and it was just the 1,2 the whole entire night and he simply couldn't figure that out. Tito literally lost every single minute of that fight, I don't even think he was close to even winning 30 seconds of that fight.
He also got out boxed by DLH comfortably, and was given a lucky decision. Also that fight, it was Oscar that gave it away, Trinidad never won it. Oscar made the ultimate mistake and paid the price. Trinidad isn't that great of a boxer, he is rather one dimensional, kinda like Mosley is a little one dimensional.
I just think Mosley is physically stronger (doesn't mean hits harder) and is more durable and takes better shots.

Agree.

Yup exactly! Both Mosley and Trinidad have been clearly outpointed in the past, but when Trinidad got outpointed he did't even make round(s) competitive with his power and all this apparent superior skills he had.

I see what DLH was able to do to Trinidad & although at 154, I also saw what a young Vargas did to Trinidad and I really don't think it's out of the question for Mosley (who is more skilled than Trinidad) to beat him in a close fight and possibly get a stoppage. Certainly not out of the question like some have made it out to be so far!

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post May 1 2011, 11:35 PM
Post #13

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

That's such a close call... as a puerto rican I grew up watchin Trinidad.. ill try not to be biased.lol

The first order of business is deciding when the "prime" of their careers started/finished.. and I deff too High to get into specifics.. lol. Overall, IMO of course, Mosely was a bit faster and Tito hit harder with either hands... Tito would've gone down but only to get up and return the favor as he usually did... I see Mosely gettin stopped late... Tito by TKO.. the fight woulda been hell and deff ugly at times.. awesome.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post May 1 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

Well when Tito couldn't penetrate Winky or was stopped by BHOP. Neither were a prime Tito.

Titos prime when he moved a lot more laterally and relied on more than just big shots, not to mention, where P4P he was at his absolute strongest was at 147 around the time he fought Carr and Whitaker.

You also cannot state Mosley had the strength to hold his own with Margarito, when that was an old Mosley. We would be talking of the Mosley V DLH 1, Taylor, Diaz here.

You can't give Mosley the strength, speed, punch output all at once when at Welter he never had the 1st and later two at the same time. Once he left his 'power boxing' he became a low punch output, strong, big hitter. Before that he was more of a fast, high output, counter-puncher type of fighter, not showing a great deal of strength at Welter.

People are picking all little bits of their careers to make arguments without someone defining which exact period we are talking about.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: May 1 2011, 11:44 PM

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post May 2 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #15

Middleweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ May 1 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Ok. So we have gathered that no way Mosley can win this fight because:

• SSM is no BHop
  • Trinidad beat undefeated fighters before
  • Mosley lost to Cotto
  • Forrest lost to Mayorga
  • Tito out boxed Camacho and old Whitaker

Ok guys. The discussion ends here, no way Mosley can win this fight.

ASSuming again, eh Fitz?

I had to hack my post up because I quoted too much shit. You know damned well I think this kind of fantasy comparison shit is ludicrous. The fantasy about SSM's overwhelming strength at WW is laughable. Compare the records at WW. SSM does not stand up to Trinidad. You can talk shit about the Trinidad v ODLH decision if you like. You can claim it a gift. The Golden Boy got beat, in his prime, his 1st loss, to Tito.

When did SSM beat him (or was that a gift too?)? That's right, after Trinidad did him. When did PBF beat his ass? Pac?

Again, I have always liked SSM, but if Trinidad was in his prime at WW right now, Pac and PBF would be fighting at 140.

The truth hurts.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post May 2 2011, 12:44 AM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

That is an interesting comment Beardo.

PBF or Pac V Tito at Welter are other fights that would be good match-ups for Tito IMO, despite the fact I think Mosley, Pac and PBF are all ahead of Tito P4P.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post May 2 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #17

Middleweight

QUOTE (and the NEW @ May 1 2011, 10:44 PM) *
That is an interesting comment Beardo.

PBF or Pac V Tito at Welter are other fights that would be good match-ups for Tito IMO, despite the fact I think Mosley, Pac and PBF are all ahead of Tito P4P.

I can't disagree with the P4P comparisons because of Trinidad's lack of longevity. But, that's not what we are fantasizing about here.

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post May 2 2011, 04:14 PM
Post #18

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

QUOTE (and the NEW @ May 1 2011, 11:39 PM) *
Well when Tito couldn't penetrate Winky or was stopped by BHOP. Neither were a prime Tito.

Titos prime when he moved a lot more laterally and relied on more than just big shots, not to mention, where P4P he was at his absolute strongest was at 147 around the time he fought Carr and Whitaker.

You also cannot state Mosley had the strength to hold his own with Margarito, when that was an old Mosley. We would be talking of the Mosley V DLH 1, Taylor, Diaz here.

You can't give Mosley the strength, speed, punch output all at once when at Welter he never had the 1st and later two at the same time. Once he left his 'power boxing' he became a low punch output, strong, big hitter. Before that he was more of a fast, high output, counter-puncher type of fighter, not showing a great deal of strength at Welter.

People are picking all little bits of their careers to make arguments without someone defining which exact period we are talking about.

my thoughts exactly...

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post May 2 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Welcome JON.

Seems this fantasy fight got a bit lost in the ego trips.

+Quote Post
TheFonz
post May 3 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #20

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

I will make it clear. I am talking about the Mosley that beat Oscar.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 09:01 AM