IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do Pacquaio's political ambitions mean for the Philippines?
Cheesey1
post Oct 11 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

So, Emmanuel Pacquaio is on the verge of possibly taking his political career to the next level. I'm not saying that he'll succeed, just that he's definitely giving it a go.

What does that mean for the people of a country who've been through many tough times, but seem to be on the upswing nowadays. If he parlays his cult of personality into higher political office, what can the people expect?

There's an interesting article on Bloomberg.com and here's the link:
Pacquaio's Politics

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Oct 11 2012, 11:24 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 12 2012, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Idk.. if his boxing career tells us anything is that he rarely makes decisions for himself and when he does they seem like bad business decisions. Unless politics in the Philippines just elect puppets and have someone else making decisions I don't see it going very well. But who knows, he seems like a nice guy whos passionate about his country.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Oct 12 2012, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Oct 12 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 12 2012, 03:32 PM) *
Idk.. if his boxing career tells us anything is that he rarely makes decisions for himself and when he does they seem like bad business decisions. Unless politics in the Philippines just elect puppets and have someone else making decisions I don't see it going very well. But who knows, he seems like a nice guy whos passionate about his country.

I agree. I remember the days of the first Aquino and Marcos. Aquino's son seems to be doing a decent job, but if the people want someone like Pacquaio, then so be it.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 12 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

If he's having this hard of a time dealing with the politics of boxing and managing his own career, then good luck to the Philippines. Unless they're as absent-minded as he can be at times, then he may not have a hard time getting elected.

Sad thing is, Manny seems to not be able to make a sound decision about anything nowadays. He's too busy getting tricked, but hell, if that's what's politicians do. If the people elect him, then that should be right up his alley. I believe that all candidates are passionate about their country, until they're elected.

If Manny was able to be tricked into signing for a 4th Marquez fight and a contract extension, then I'm sure he'd end up getting talked into allowing Bob Arum to be the interim President of the Philippines or something crazy like that. If you feel bad for the Philippines now, then imagine Bob running it. Even a spot in Congress for Bob over there, would spell disaster.

PS: I didn't read the article in the opening post yet, so forgive my ignoramus ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 12 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

we've had actors, comedians, former athletes and a wwf wrestler become politicians here in the good ol' u.s of a. if i've learned anything in all my years...it's that the masses will vote based on popularity more than merit. like a few have already stated...if his boxing business decisions are any indication....they're are definitely going to be in for a ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) they can expect 2 chiefs of staff....2 secretaries....2 of basically everything....like he has in boxing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

2 promoters

top rank and golden boy

2 managers/advisors

gacal and koncz

2 trainers

buboy and freddie

2 strength and conditioning coaches

the filipino dude and ariza

i'm sure the list goes on....

let's not forget the entourage/church.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 12 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 12 2012, 06:34 PM) *
If he's having this hard of a time dealing with the politics of boxing and managing his own career, then good luck to the Philippines. Unless they're as absent-minded as he can be at times, then he may not have a hard time getting elected.

Sad thing is, Manny seems to not be able to make a sound decision about anything nowadays. He's too busy getting tricked, but hell, if that's what's politicians do. If the people elect him, then that should be right up his alley. I believe that all candidates are passionate about their country, until they're elected.

If Manny was able to be tricked into signing for a 4th Marquez fight and a contract extension, then I'm sure he'd end up getting talked into allowing Bob Arum to be the interim President of the Philippines or something crazy like that. If you feel bad for the Philippines now, then imagine Bob running it. Even a spot in Congress for Bob over there, would spell disaster.

PS: I didn't read the article in the opening post yet, so forgive my ignoramus ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

You know what I think manny is playing dumb or is smarter than we think. I'm sure he figured that if he signed an extension w/ top rank he would get walk forward opposition to make him look good and if he opted out he would be expected/demanded to take on tougher opponents and wouldn't have the "oh my promoter picks my fights I just fight" excuse.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 12 2012, 06:48 PM) *
we've had actors, comedians, former athletes and a wwf wrestler become politicians here in the good ol' u.s of a. if i've learned anything in all my years...it's that the masses will vote based on popularity more than merit. like a few have already stated...if his boxing business decisions are any indication....they're are definitely going to be in for a ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) they can expect 2 chiefs of staff....2 secretaries....2 of basically everything....like he has in boxing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

2 promoters

top rank and golden boy

2 managers/advisors

gacal and koncz

2 trainers

buboy and freddie

I'm starting to think this whole sudden deep church involvement is because of his politics and not because of him. The guy was a rascal before and a little after this politician thing started and Philippinos are very religious. I wouldn't be surprised if he is just doing it to gain support.. but again this is just my gut feeling

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Oct 12 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 12 2012, 06:34 PM) *

Ha! At least read the bloody article man.

Apart from that I agree

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Oct 12 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 12 2012, 06:48 PM) *

2 promoters

top rank and golden boy

2 managers/advisors

gacal and koncz

2 trainers

buboy and freddie

Yup.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Oct 28 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

You have got to admire Manny Pacquaio. The Top Rank website has a photo of him upon arrival in America for the JMM quadruple-match (made up word), sitting there with either a bible or a Mitt Romney style binder of women. I'm not hating, I know God lives and I want the best for the Philippines, it was just too funny not to share.

Bible or Mitt Romney Style Binder?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 28 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Oct 28 2012, 06:07 PM) *
You have got to admire Manny Pacquaio. The Top Rank website has a photo of him upon arrival in America for the JMM quadruple-match (made up word), sitting there with either a bible or a Mitt Romney style binder of women. I'm not hating, I know God lives and I want the best for the Philippines, it was just too funny not to share.

Bible or Mitt Romney Style Binder?

Yep Cheesey, dont be fooled...that's a Romney-style binder. Manny filled it up with Filipino women before he hopped on the plane...gotta expand Romney's stable. I'm not hatin'...all I ask, is that they share the love.

I need to be able to rate this plethora of women that they congregate about. Fair? Asking too much? Not asking for enough? Let me know...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 05:47 PM