Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chavez vs. Whitaker
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 14 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

-After watching Chavez vs. Whitaker, I am speechless. The performance that Sweet Pea put on was simply AMAZING. Let's look at the fight

Chavez: Mexico's pride and joy. 87-0 record going into the fight (talk about a padded record. That is where Jr, gets it from)...he is fighting in San Antonio Texas, which is basically a home town event. The crowd is on his side experience is on his side and early favorites are on his side. He can punch with the best of them. Chavez is invinciable

Sweet Pea Whitaker: The Champion! Facing Chavez Jr. in his backyard. His defensive skills are second to none. Not a big puncher but has grease lightening hand speed. Chavez is bigger than he is so how can Sweet Pea win?

Cortez: He seems to never take himself out of a big fight. He loves to be scene, but he did a fairly decent job.

Crowd: Hyped up until they saw Sweet Pea giving Chavez a heck of a time

Fight: The first three rounds was Chavez after that Whitaker adjusted wonderfully. He was hitting Chavez at well. Making him miss and completely took Chavez out of his game plan. He could not get Whitaker to fight his fight. Chavez never adjusted. Actually he started to tire even leaning on Joe Cortez in the later rounds. He was gasping for air and he could not compete with Sweet Pea's speed. If Whitaker had punching power it would of been over but still, Sweet Pea dominated the fight. He slipped punches worked the body well and fought flawlessly on the inside. Amazing fight. Amazing fight. I would say this had to be one of the most dominating performances by any fighter, I would say this fight competes with the way Floyd handle Corrales and the way Roy Jones handle many of his opponents in the 90s. Outstanding
Result: A draw. That was high way robbery. Wall Street could learn from those judges how to steal! That was the worse decision ever. I mean ever. I had the fight 9-3 Whitaker.

Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Dec 14 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 14 2011, 07:46 PM) *
-After watching Chavez vs. Whitaker, I am speechless. The performance that Sweet Pea put on was simply AMAZING. Let's look at the fight

Chavez: Mexico's pride and joy. 87-0 record going into the fight (talk about a padded record. That is where Jr, gets it from)...he is fighting in San Antonio Texas, which is basically a home town event. The crowd is on his side experience is on his side and early favorites are on his side. He can punch with the best of them. Chavez is invinciable

Sweet Pea Whitaker: The Champion! Facing Chavez Jr. in his backyard. His defensive skills are second to none. Not a big puncher but has grease lightening hand speed. Chavez is bigger than he is so how can Sweet Pea win?

Cortez: He seems to never take himself out of a big fight. He loves to be scene, but he did a fairly decent job.

Crowd: Hyped up until they saw Sweet Pea giving Chavez a heck of a time

Fight: The first three rounds was Chavez after that Whitaker adjusted wonderfully. He was hitting Chavez at well. Making him miss and completely took Chavez out of his game plan. He could not get Whitaker to fight his fight. Chavez never adjusted. Actually he started to tire even leaning on Joe Cortez in the later rounds. He was gasping for air and he could not compete with Sweet Pea's speed. If Whitaker had punching power it would of been over but still, Sweet Pea dominated the fight. He slipped punches worked the body well and fought flawlessly on the inside. Amazing fight. Amazing fight. I would say this had to be one of the most dominating performances by any fighter, I would say this fight competes with the way Floyd handle Corrales and the way Roy Jones handle many of his opponents in the 90s. Outstanding
Result: A draw. That was high way robbery. Wall Street could learn from those judges how to steal! That was the worse decision ever. I mean ever. I had the fight 9-3 Whitaker.

Any thoughts?

This was, IMO, the biggest robbery since Dillinger!!!

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Dec 15 2011, 06:21 AM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Sweat peas been jacked more times than Kanes cousin Harold. The Chavez fight was robbery. The DLH was a robbery too. Only Oscar can win a fight without landing a punch.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 15 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Yeah they definitely pissed on Whitaker's leg and told him that it was raining outside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Man, Sweat Pea was something that Chavez had never seen before! Hell, if Whitaker had the power, we probably would've witnessed something special in that fight. JCC just couldn't deal with that ducking and slipping, and the frustration was apparent.

I agree Leon, the De La Hoya fight was somewhat of a robbery. Pure politics in my opinion, but hey, what can we do? Oscar was supposed to be the next big thing, so they threw him in there with a legend, and gave him the fight...wow. At least he changed the sport, made big money, and started Garter Belt Promotions. Much power to him...

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 15 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 15 2011, 09:38 AM) *
Yeah they definitely pissed on Whitaker's leg and told him that it was raining outside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Man, Sweat Pea was something that Chavez had never seen before! Hell, if Whitaker had the power, we probably would've witnessed something special in that fight. JCC just couldn't deal with that ducking and slipping, and the frustration was apparent.

I agree Leon, the De La Hoya fight was somewhat of a robbery. Pure politics in my opinion, but hey, what can we do? Oscar was supposed to be the next big thing, so they threw him in there with a legend, and gave him the fight...wow. At least he changed the sport, made big money, and started Garter Belt Promotions. Much power to him...

The fact that he was 87-0 when he came into this fight. I thought, "this dude fights every week or month." the fact that he was 32 or 31 when they fought was amazing because he wasn't over the hill for a boxer. I am curious to see his entire record. I am starting to rethink Chavez's career and greatness. Whitaker won that fight hands down. He made Chavez so uncomfortable. Chavez was strying to figure out what to do. That pressing and coming forward crap did not work at all. De La Hoya took over Chavez, and the fact that De La Hoya had the shit eating grin smile did not hurt either. I guess Victor is next in line?

Whitaker had a perfect fight. I wonder why Zab has not learned from this great boxer?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 15 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 15 2011, 01:32 PM) *
The fact that he was 87-0 when he came into this fight. I thought, "this dude fights every week or month." the fact that he was 32 or 31 when they fought was amazing because he wasn't over the hill for a boxer. I am curious to see his entire record. I am starting to rethink Chavez's career and greatness. Whitaker won that fight hands down. He made Chavez so uncomfortable. Chavez was strying to figure out what to do. That pressing and coming forward crap did not work at all. De La Hoya took over Chavez, and the fact that De La Hoya had the shit eating grin smile did not hurt either. I guess Victor is next in line?

Whitaker had a perfect fight. I wonder why Zab has not learned from this great boxer?

Hell Im sure he had more than 87 fights before he came into that fight..more than likely some of them didn't even make it to the books. Canelo is in the same situation, and Im pretty sure he's had more fight than we're aware of.

In Mexico, those guys turn pro as early as 15 (like most of the great Mexican fighters), and he more than likely fought guys with less skill, but thats usually how it goes early in a fighter's career anyhow. At the state that boxing is on nowadays, I will refrain from labeling anybody the next big thing until shit starts to come back together.

Too many fighters nowadays want to pass go and collect $200, before they master the other properties. Everybody's TOO fuckin' concerned about money, and its fuckin' the game up, big time.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:54 AM