Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the fabulous four, duran, leonard, hearns and hagler
Jovi
post May 13 2013, 11:07 AM
Post #21

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,532

Just watched Hagler/Duran. I had Hagler comfortably ahead of the fight, the judges had it way too close in my eyes. Hagler's defense and speed is better than i thought, he was deflecting alot of Duran's punches, but that right hand was catching his eye, rounds 11-13 weren't fun for Hagler. But after that he still outworked, and out boxed Duran. Duran seemed tired too early, if Hagler hadn't gone so hard at the beginning and wasn't looking for the knockout so early he would've gotten it later if he just starting early with the body shots. Wasn't as clean as SRL or as brutal Hearns, but still a solid win for Hagler.

Hands of Stone is about Roberto Duran......with Usher as Sugar Ray Leonard...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif)

This post has been edited by Jovi: May 13 2013, 11:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 13 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (klonopinz @ May 11 2013, 10:24 PM) *
Since nobody is repping duran, I have to jump in here for my boy. The very fact that duran is even mentioned with these other 3 big huge athletic men, makes him even more amazing. This was a skinny kid from the dirts of panama, a lightweight fighter who gave all these guys a hard fucking time. This guy was almost always at a disadvantage whenever he fought any of the other 3. His arm length always screwed him over big time, especially with hearns. He could deal with the speed of leonard, the reach of hagler, but not both at the same time, thats why he got knocked out by hearns.

But you also have to remember this, he was the only one to beat sugar ray leonard of the 3, and tommy hearns knocked him out, but then got knocked out by Iran Barkley, whom duran defeated and went the distance with, even dropped his ass, at 38 years old. He even went the distance with hagler in haglers prime, the only guy hagler couldnt kncokout during his rampage at middleweight. And no, i beleive hagler was about done when leonard fought him in 87, he wanted leonard in 1982, but never got him. Duran was the first guy to really step up and give marvin hagler a super fight.

And he gave hagler hell. He fought the man toe to toe,on the inside, which NOBODY else survived. Anybody that fought hagler on the inside, toe to toe, got knocked out hard, liek hearns, or eventually taken into deep water and drowned over time, like mugabi. . Duran is so underrated its ridiculous. He had more skill than any of the other 3, but his physical gifts werent as great as theres, yet he competed with them all. Yes, you can tell im a super duran fanboy lol

this...minus the last sentence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 13 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 13 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Great title for a Duran story if the movie is in fact about him.

gabriel gael garcia is playing duran and robert dinero is playing ray arcel. it's coming out.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 13 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ May 13 2013, 12:07 PM) *
Just watched Hagler/Duran. I had Hagler comfortably ahead of the fight, the judges had it way too close in my eyes. Hagler's defense and speed is better than i thought, he was deflecting alot of Duran's punches, but that right hand was catching his eye, rounds 11-13 weren't fun for Hagler. But after that he still outworked, and out boxed Duran. Duran seemed tired too early, if Hagler hadn't gone so hard at the beginning and wasn't looking for the knockout so early he would've gotten it later if he just starting early with the body shots. Wasn't as clean as SRL or as brutal Hearns, but still a solid win for Hagler.

Hands of Stone is about Roberto Duran......with Usher as Sugar Ray Leonard...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wtf.gif)

shit. i forgot about that part.

that tells u something about duran...."rounds 11-13 weren't fun for hagler..."

when i was a kid i was afraid for duran in this fight. i thought hagler was going to kill him...as did many others. duran held his own.

duran's book is a very good read. i highly recommend it.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post May 13 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #25

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

srl could probably play himself in that movie

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post May 13 2013, 11:19 PM
Post #26

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

The thing about hagler tho, he had a chin of titanium that allowed him to expoloit, duran did not have that guft, and relied on pure skill and defense to survive murderous punchers. If it wasnt for haglers chin, i no he wouldnt hvae survived some of those wars he fought, especially hearns. The reason hagler beat duran had a lot do do with durans jab, or lack there of. Durans arms were too small for him to reach hagler with a jab, therefore he couldnt fuck with hagler alot on the outside. So he was landing his short right hands inside, and boxing hagler when he could. Hagler, born invulnerable to punches, didnt have durans respect as far as being able to hurt him, so he just outworked him because he could. If duran cant stop hagler from coming forward, then he can only really potshot him when he does.

Hagler had a huge ass reach on him, was a natural middleweight, was in his prime, and was fighting his first big fight, so he had more to prove. Duran was slowly burning out at this stage, at 34. He had already beaten leonard, fought everyone under the sun in the 70s, and he was constantly fighting guy where he was at a disadvantage in weight, frame, and age, (usually all 3).

Before i go, i want you guys to look at some analagies compared to the 80s when considering duran. Im using pacquiao because he holds the same class and position that duran did, being they are the same size, went up in weight, are poor kids from 3rd world, etc etc

147 Duran vs Leonard = Pacquiao vs Mayweather, with pacquiao winning lol
154 Duran vs Hearns = pacquiao vs paul williams, this is just ridiculous
160 Duran vs Hagler = Pacquiao vs golovkin
168 Duran vs Barkley = Pacquiao vs Ward, dude, come on.....

+Quote Post
Genius
post May 14 2013, 02:13 AM
Post #27

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) The Sugar man beat all of them.....

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 14 2013, 02:18 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (klonopinz @ May 14 2013, 12:19 AM) *
The thing about hagler tho, he had a chin of titanium that allowed him to expoloit, duran did not have that guft, and relied on pure skill and defense to survive murderous punchers. If it wasnt for haglers chin, i no he wouldnt hvae survived some of those wars he fought, especially hearns. The reason hagler beat duran had a lot do do with durans jab, or lack there of. Durans arms were too small for him to reach hagler with a jab, therefore he couldnt fuck with hagler alot on the outside. So he was landing his short right hands inside, and boxing hagler when he could. Hagler, born invulnerable to punches, didnt have durans respect as far as being able to hurt him, so he just outworked him because he could. If duran cant stop hagler from coming forward, then he can only really potshot him when he does.

Hagler had a huge ass reach on him, was a natural middleweight, was in his prime, and was fighting his first big fight, so he had more to prove. Duran was slowly burning out at this stage, at 34. He had already beaten leonard, fought everyone under the sun in the 70s, and he was constantly fighting guy where he was at a disadvantage in weight, frame, and age, (usually all 3).

Before i go, i want you guys to look at some analagies compared to the 80s when considering duran. Im using pacquiao because he holds the same class and position that duran did, being they are the same size, went up in weight, are poor kids from 3rd world, etc etc

147 Duran vs Leonard = Pacquiao vs Mayweather, with pacquiao winning lol
154 Duran vs Hearns = pacquiao vs paul williams, this is just ridiculous
160 Duran vs Hagler = Pacquiao vs golovkin
168 Duran vs Barkley = Pacquiao vs Ward, dude, come on.....

duran > pac

leonard > mayweather

hearns > williams

hagler > golovkin

ward > barkely (maybe...)

the only similarities they had was that they were little guys moving up in weight. duran was a beast.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post May 14 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #29

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

it is a size comparison. not a fighter comparison. It shows you the ridiculousness of the fights he took

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 15 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #30

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Hagler was the best of the four, Leonard got gift decisions.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:40 PM