IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather's Style/Technique, Why does nobody else box like him?
MadFresh
post Sep 22 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,249

Hello all!

I'm very much into the styles and techniques of boxers from all around the world. Many boxers adopt very similar styles, although one remains unique (almost).

My question is this: Why don't more boxers, perhaps young boxers, use Mayweather's style and technique? I understand that it is very hard - not only to teach but to perform, however this should not discourage others from at least trying it?

He is undoubtedly one of the best boxers there has ever been, so why not try to imitate (at least to a degree)? I also understand that boxing is a very individual sport, and the fighter should always do what suits them. However, if you look at many other sports from golf to soccer to basketball, many athletes performing at the very elite level use similar styles.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

MF (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Sep 22 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #2

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (MadFresh @ Sep 22 2011, 12:12 PM) *
Hello all!

I'm very much into the styles and techniques of boxers from all around the world. Many boxers adopt very similar styles, although one remains unique (almost).

My question is this: Why don't more boxers, perhaps young boxers, use Mayweather's style and technique? I understand that it is very hard - not only to teach but to perform, however this should not discourage others from at least trying it?

He is undoubtedly one of the best boxers there has ever been, so why not try to imitate (at least to a degree)? I also understand that boxing is a very individual sport, and the fighter should always do what suits them. However, if you look at many other sports from golf to soccer to basketball, many athletes performing at the very elite level use similar styles.

cause there are only so many that come outta grand rapids, mi lol im fuckin around
if up and comers try and imitate his style theyre gonna get fucked up or gonna look unnatural cause style is cultivated individually for each boxer based on their persona and physique.

as far as technique goes, there are plenty of boxers out there that are defense oriented (lot of em use the shell defense too) but not many prospects wanna be known for that cause that does not sell tickets or help move a career.

also just a warnin lot o the old timer posters gonna haze your ass cause yer 1st post is mayweather-oriented, and thats a trend that is startin to chap everyones ass lol

+Quote Post
flazi
post Sep 22 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #3

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

its an old school style. James toney uses a version of it. Jersey joe walcott used it and other old schoolers. Not too many ppl around to teach it.

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Sep 22 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,413

Hello all!

I've seen it already. A couple of weeks back, Yuriorkis Gamboa was using the style against Danny Ponce De Leon. Sergio Martinez has his version of that style/technique. Slick southpaw with his hands down, good at slipping shots and countering with sneaky shots that are able to cause KO's becuase the opponent does not make eye contact with them. That is very dangerous when a fighter can hit you with a shot that you were oblivous to. I've noticed that european fighters have altered their default styles for the slick american style. B-Hop's summation of the slick black fighter is spot on, as you begin to see many fighters who are not black, nor american using that style. It is very effective and I must say it is something to watch.

+Quote Post
HazConvictedFelo...
post Sep 22 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,413

Hello all!

Hazing begins! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fuck.gif)

+Quote Post
PColeman28
post Sep 22 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,639

QUOTE (MadFresh @ Sep 22 2011, 09:12 AM) *
Hello all!

It's just not that simple what he does isnt easy to acomplish, his defense, his accuaracy that's what makes him who he is, and one could go out there and try and do his shoulder roll defense and all that and you'll look like him, but you won't be him, so every fighter has to find out who they are and fight like that, every great boxer had something about his style that another great didn't use, some of them do have similar qualities, but every fighter has something about them that is unique... even in football, no cornerback can ever ever ever simulate the things deion sanders did in pass coverage, it's just extremely difficult to do, modern NBA athletes aren't like michael jordan some have similar things even championship rings,but they don't play like jordan... shaq was on a different level for centers, wilt chamberlin was on a different level what 6'8 guy plays like magic johnson? these dudes were special and that's any great in any sport....as far as mayweather the only i think a fighter can take away from him and use is working on punch accuracy and timing (which ever trainer teaches to his boxer(s) anyways.)

+Quote Post
Crafty
post Sep 22 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #7

Amateur

Member No.: 12,878

I was actually just wondering the same thing. If its such an excellent defense technique then why don't all boxers do it? I mean, even I can do it. It is a better way to defend than the traditional method.

On a side note, Mayweather's technique is great in the ring. But in a streetfight that method of fighting will get you beat 10 times out of 10.

+Quote Post
PColeman28
post Sep 22 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,639

QUOTE (Crafty @ Sep 22 2011, 11:58 AM) *
I was actually just wondering the same thing. If its such an excellent defense technique then why don't all boxers do it? I mean, even I can do it. It is a better way to defend than the traditional method.

On a side note, Mayweather's technique is great in the ring. But in a streetfight that method of fighting will get you beat 10 times out of 10.

It depends on who you are...if you look at the canelo gomez fight from saturday canelo was using the defense and kept getting hit flush on the chin...the guy obviously doesn't know what the hell he was doing, but in the next fight mayweather used it and barely got hit and when he did get hit no shots landed flush...it depends on who you are and if you know what your doing, you just can't watch hella mma and boxing and then go pick a fight with someone on the streets thinking you know what your doing because you've seen hella mma and boxing matches lol that's just silly...

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 22 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Why does nobody else box like Floyd?

I heard a rumor that Roy Jones Jr and Bernard Hopkins owned row homes behind each other. One night they bumped into each other in the alley behind their homes as they were dumping the trash and, as the legend goes, one thing leads to another, and Bernard hits Roy w a jailhouse right and bends him over, comes inside him, jailhouse style, and 9 months later Roy gives birth to PBF in a corn field (thx Prince). Now, PBF has a little more of his mother (Roy) in him than his father (Ex), so once them reflexes go he's fucked.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 22 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

It's a difficult style, and he's been doing it since he was a baby so its second nature to him.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:19 AM