IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alexander? Not Guerrero? (Topics Merged), Update:IBF Will Not Sanction Mayweather-Alexander (Brook is Mandatory)
Plah
post Jan 30 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #81

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 30 2013, 08:47 AM) *
2 guys in this era who I would have absolutely loved to have seen in the ring against Floyd ?

Vernon Forest and Winky Wright.

Both had excellent jabs, were accurate punchers from all distances and excellent defenses.

THOSE would have clearly been difficult fights for Floyd.

This.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 30 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #82

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 30 2013, 06:43 AM) *
Lol, I was VERY busy.

As for him fighting Williams or Margarito...why not fight them? I can totally understand the Margarito and post-Top Rank contract with Floyd, understood. I seriously think that Paul Williams should've happened in 2008 when he was still a WW. I agree that Williams wasn't a big name fighter, but to an extent, Floyd wasn't either. If anything, he was still new to it.

If you think about it, not everyone that fought Oscar, became a superstar/cash cow after they beat him. For instance, Shane beat Oscar twice, and ended up taking $300k paydays on PPV against guys like Winky Wright. Again, not everybody becomes a superstar/cash cow, just because they fought one.

Floyd wasn't a De La Hoya-type star, who could fight just about anybody, and do some decent numbers, so a Williams fight in 2008, wouldn't have been so much of a stretch for him. If anything, that fight would've challenged him, and kept doubt out of most fans' mind. Instead, he retired, JUST to came back and fight the LW champion of the world.

And yes, popularity can help you get away with whatever you want in the sport. I'm not sure if Trout brings in the money that Floyd wants, but if we're talking about who deserves the fight more, we can pick Trout any day out of the week. At least he and Floyd have common opponent that had something left in the tank (Cotto). I cant even speak Mosley being a common opponent, because he was just there for a payday.

NICE!
Shane has0 personality. And let's face it the 24/7 series sold that fight. Mayweather cracked me up when he was like "you said I stole your shit, okay, what are you going to do about it" Gangsta! You can't have two good guys fighting each other, makes for boring theater or drama as Larry Merchant would like to call it.

My only defense with Floyd not fighting Paul Williams was that he said that he was going to retire after the Hatton fight and he did. Now if he came back and foght Paul Williams after JMM called him we would of said he ducked JMM. So either way the guy loses. It either way the fight didn't happen and what is done is done. I would say his fight with Winky Wright or Vernon Forest (RIP) would have been damn interesting as someone stated before. Two smart fighters, not a ton a speed but smart nevertheless.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 1 2013, 02:52 PM
Post #83

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 29 2013, 06:08 PM) *
Welcome back! Your lady must of had you tied down (lol), I ain't mad at that! I feel your point and I am not protecting Floyd by any means. All I am saying is when people say he should of fought Margarito and Paul Williams I don't understand why. Margs was a no name and Paul Williams was getting his name out there. As boxing fans if Floyd would have taken these two fights would we really be overjoyed or saying, why the hell is he fighting these two men? Plus Paul Williams is 154 plus fighter, Floyd can barely make 151 let alone 154. You are saying why should Floyd fight an overhyped Alvarez and not a Trout who has proven himself against a viable contender in Cotto? I agree Saul should actually fight people his own weight and size, but he is popular and sometimes popularity let's you get away with bloody murder (Ray Lewis?). I think Trout would be a hard match up but would Trout bring in the money that Mayweather wants? Now if Red Head fights Trout and loses (fingers crossed) then yes Mayweather should indeed fight Trout. K-9 is a boring fighter and I hope Smith nails him but I would say this in regards to Floyd, if he is holding that 154 belt then he should fight 154 fighters with 0 excuses. But if he holds a 147 belt then he should fight his mandatory even though I do not want to see the shit. Fair is fair. If the guy earned it then he deserves a shot.

margarito had and defended his title more than the other belt holders at that time. no one wanted to fight him. williams was the one that was more than willing and he beat him convincingly. floyd never mentioned his name. cotto mentioned williams name and said he was more deserving of a shot at his belt than margarito...but we all know bob wouldn't allow that. williams had to take margarito to court to get his shot. that would have been the perfect time for floyd to fight williams. instead he sat back and let all these guys fight each other. we all know what happened after that. on the weight issue... williams was as low as 143 when he fought as a welter. he was 145 when he fought margarito. weight shouldn't have been an issue.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 1 2013, 02:54 PM
Post #84

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 30 2013, 08:34 AM) *
You have to look at matchups.

The only hope that a Chavez style, "stalk till they drop" type fighter has against a technician is if the latter gets tired. We've established that Mayweather has never had fitness issues. I don't see any other result than a pretty easy unanimous decision.

The Paul Williams fight is fascinating. However, I think what would have worked against Williams is that he never truly learned to use his height and reach. Watch tapes of his fights. He ends up on the inside A LOT more than you would think. I think Floyd would have made him pay for not having a solid jab. On the inside, it was no match. A lot of people think you can just keep winging punches, but when you start missing, it takes a lot out of you. You also start thinking more and punching less. Watch film and you'll see. Floyd would likely have won a decision.

he knew how to fight on the back foot...he just got away from that often because he loved to mix it up. i think williams height, reach and volume would have given floyd problems.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 1 2013, 06:38 PM
Post #85

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 1 2013, 12:52 PM) *
margarito had and defended his title more than the other belt holders at that time. no one wanted to fight him. williams was the one that was more than willing and he beat him convincingly. floyd never mentioned his name. cotto mentioned williams name and said he was more deserving of a shot at his belt than margarito...but we all know bob wouldn't allow that. williams had to take margarito to court to get his shot. that would have been the perfect time for floyd to fight williams. instead he sat back and let all these guys fight each other. we all know what happened after that. on the weight issue... williams was as low as 143 when he fought as a welter. he was 145 when he fought margarito. weight shouldn't have been an issue.

Margarito to the casual fan and non fan unknown. Boxing fans knew he was I actually didn't know Margs until I saw him fight Cotto and I was like damn, damn! Paul Williams I am not going to lie, I watched him fight Sergio and I think that might had been the second time I saw him fight. He robbed a guy in his comeback fight and then the accident. I will go back and look at both fighters and look at their careers. Again Margs is a slow welter weight and Paul takes so much punishment. I will do my homework on both fighters tonight. Thanks for the insight Professor.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 1 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #86

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 1 2013, 06:38 PM) *
Margarito to the casual fan and non fan unknown. Boxing fans knew he was I actually didn't know Margs until I saw him fight Cotto and I was like damn, damn! Paul Williams I am not going to lie, I watched him fight Sergio and I think that might had been the second time I saw him fight. He robbed a guy in his comeback fight and then the accident. I will go back and look at both fighters and look at their careers. Again Margs is a slow welter weight and Paul takes so much punishment. I will do my homework on both fighters tonight. Thanks for the insight Professor.

there's a lot of history to catch up on. margarito was beating the dog shit out of a lot of ppl and had been a sparring partner for dlh. dlh didn't want any parts of margarito. i forget the guys name...but he ripped his ear off with a punch in a fight. he was a beast. williams fights with martinez was the beginning of the end. i thought he won the first fight with martinez. martinez even admitted he thought he lost...there was just one judge that had a score that was waaaay off....but they got the right winner. martinez left no doubt in the rematch. prior to martinez....williams was on a tirade himself and pretty much ran out of opponents willing to face him which is why he ended up fighting martinez again. margarito, williams and martinez were all avoided by plenty of fighters...they all blazed trails...martinez blazed the most significant trail of the 3.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 2 2013, 01:47 AM
Post #87

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 1 2013, 03:54 PM) *
he knew how to fight on the back foot...he just got away from that often because he loved to mix it up. i think williams height, reach and volume would have given floyd problems.

Williams height would be a problem for anyone if he used it! He can be outboxed for gods sake quintana outboxed him for 12. But he never used his reach and height how he should have, that boy was too philly and I don't even think hes from philly lol. Eventually that's what got him caught cold against serg

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 2 2013, 09:57 PM
Post #88

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 2 2013, 01:47 AM) *
Williams height would be a problem for anyone if he used it! He can be outboxed for gods sake quintana outboxed him for 12. But he never used his reach and height how he should have, that boy was too philly and I don't even think hes from philly lol. Eventually that's what got him caught cold against serg

Nope...Aiken, S.C.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 2 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #89

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 2 2013, 10:57 PM) *
Nope...Aiken, S.C.

As I thought lol. The guy just loved to exchange and be exciting, he was never taught to be lengthy and box from the outside.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 3 2013, 11:38 AM
Post #90

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 2 2013, 01:47 AM) *

He used his reach and height in the Margarito fight. That was the only time I saw Williams do that. He boxed and won an easy decision. If he fought everybody that way, the guy would have been unbeatable.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 09:47 AM