IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT): Berto vs. Guerrero-SPOILERS, No Duplicate Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of Hatton Comeback
Jack 1000
post Nov 25 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #81

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Nov 24 2012, 09:55 PM) *
What if someone pulled that skull mask off of that dude in the costume and he was Asian lol

Hahahaha!!!! Who is that dude?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Genius
post Nov 25 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #82

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,359

Like to see Berto get with Cottos trainer....he needs some bounce in his legs.

This post has been edited by Genius: Nov 25 2012, 02:27 PM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 25 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #83

The Consultant

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 24 2012, 10:44 PM) *
How many muthafuckkin' times were they gonna let Guerrero hit Berto after the bell??? WTF??? That's some bullshit as California nonsense.

You know and it's getting worse! Even with experienced refs. We are seeing more and more local refs afraid to penalize the local guy!!! Solution? Bring in more international refs. Commissions are doing it for judges. But California, Nevada, Texas, they all want to use one of their own who NEVER penalizes the guy they are trying to promote. Lou Moret just made holding and hitting legal by his laid-back non-authority! Guerrero should have had AT LEAST 2 POINTS off for holding and hitting.

What a great fight! I had it 7-4-1 with an even 7th round!!!!! (For Guerrero)

Jack

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 25 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #84

The Consultant

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 25 2012, 12:41 AM) *
Not trying to be a hater but I didnt see anything in Guerrero that had me walking away any more impressed with him. Both guys fought with a lot of guts but from a skill standpoint, I still don't see anything that warrants Guerrero talking the shit he has been. I can't take away the effort he put forth though. He worked in there. I thought he was being an asshole in the post fight when Berto was talking. Bertowasnt trying to make excuses. He was imply agreeing with Max and Guerrero threw a hissy fit. He was talking cash shit as if he didnt get hit all night himself. I had the fight WAY closer. I actually had Berto winning rounds 5, 10 and 11 unlike Lederman. I think the knockdowns were the difference. Both guys have huge holes in their games though. At some point Berto has to decide whether he wants to be a guy who's known for these drag out brawsl, most recently ending in defeat... Or is he going to utilize his physical gifts and start boxing liek someone with some ring generalship and IQ. I think it starts with changing trainers. I've seen his trainer drop the ball in too many of his fights. He kept telling him to squat and not lean all night. Maybe it was something they worked on that they thought would pay dividends but there were far more pressing opportunities and things to correct in that fight.

All in all, damn the fight and it's participants. I've seen enough brawls. I was hoping for a real boxing match. Either way, decent fight to watch. Both guys left it in the ring. The bigger matter to me was the horrendous officiating. Like seriously...WTF was that? Had to be one of the worst I've seen in a while. Guerrero held and hit all night. He was jamming his head into Bertos eye. Then, when he clearly made an effort to close the real estate and grapple, the ref takes away Berto's only defense by erroneously calling hit's behind the head and blaming him for holding. But the most egregious thing was the 15 punch combo he allowed Guerrero after the final bell. One or two in the heat of the moment...ok. But Berto had literally stopped fighting and Robert Guerrero was just tee-ing off for about 10 seconds str8.

Guerrero won fair and square...but Berto had every right to call the ref on his shit. That's not just itpicking. Guerrero's tactics were huge weapons in the fight. When their hands were free during the middle and end of the fight, Berto was lacing him with shots.

I would like to see MORE BRAWLS like that! I think people remember that more than skilled boxing, but it's a matter of viewpoint. I totally agree that boxing needs to clean up its officiating, because too many refs are not penalizing the local guys when point deductions are so obviously needed. Loved the fight, hated the ref. I thought the judging was excellent. However, I could see Berto maybe taking two more rounds that could have gone either way.

A close fight with the knockdowns being the difference, is still a good scorecard.

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 25 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #85

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 25 2012, 02:29 PM) *
You know and it's getting worse! Even with experienced refs. We are seeing more and more local refs afraid to penalize the local guy!!! Solution? Bring in more international refs. Commissions are doing it for judges. But California, Nevada, Texas, they all want to use one of their own who NEVER penalizes the guy they are trying to promote. Lou Moret just made holding and hitting legal by his laid-back non-authority! Guerrero should have had AT LEAST 2 POINTS off for holding and hitting.

What a great fight! I had it 7-4-1 with an even 7th round!!!!!

Jack

Im not sure if I should stone the ref to death for being scared to penalize Guerrero, or throw that same rock to wake him up from autopilot mode. Solution? Bring in Kenny Bayless! When everybody else wants to screw up, just give the assignment to Bayless. I guarantee Robert wouldn't have gotten away with what he did last night.

I love matchups like last night's, but promoters need to be more sensitive about the fact that a formidable ref is needed in these fights. I didn't wait 2 months for this fight, just to see an incompetent ref ruin the flow of it.

Im not sure who's worse...California or Texas.

Texas:
Pascal/Cloud
Kirkland/Molina
Chavez/Rubio (drug test neglect)

California:
Dawson/Hopkins 1
Mares/Agbeko (Russell Mora)
Mares/Moreno

Im 110% sure I've missed a few, but I was just trying to make a quick point. Lol. Moret was horrible last night.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 25 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #86

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

the ref really ruined that fight for me. his stern warnings and finger pointing to berto....followed by soft warnings to guerrero who was really dirty throughout....not a good look for the cali commission. i thought they were both guilty of holding, so i get how that one nullifies...but guerrero lead with his head all night and i didn't recall hearing any warnings for that. i was equally disappointed that berto had no answer for guerrero leading with his head. he should have been sweeping the head or pulling down on the back of his head to stop him from doing it. guerrero hit low repeatedly....the ref let him get away with murder and i forget which commentator said it...but yes, berto was fighting two men in the ring. if i'm an opponent of a golden boy fighter...there is no way in hell i'm going to cali to fight him after witnessing this bullshit and the way mares' opponents have been getting the short end of the stick. (see mares/darchinyan,agbeko 1&2 and moreno)

i thought guerrero could have won without all that unnecessary bullshit. he did control the action and did a great job of smothering. he took some hellacious shots from berto and kept coming. is it enoiugh to get him a shot at floyd? probably not...but i do believe he's carving out his place in the division. someone mentioned him fighting ortiz, lopez or maidana...i think he beats them all. i'd much rather see him face bradley. i'd favor bradley in that one.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 26 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #87

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 25 2012, 03:02 PM) *
the ref really ruined that fight for me. his stern warnings and finger pointing to berto....followed by soft warnings to guerrero who was really dirty throughout....not a good look for the cali commission. i thought they were both guilty of holding, so i get how that one nullifies...but guerrero lead with his head all night and i didn't recall hearing any warnings for that. i was equally disappointed that berto had no answer for guerrero leading with his head. he should have been sweeping the head or pulling down on the back of his head to stop him from doing it. guerrero hit low repeatedly....the ref let him get away with murder and i forget which commentator said it...but yes, berto was fighting two men in the ring. if i'm an opponent of a golden boy fighter...there is no way in hell i'm going to cali to fight him after witnessing this bullshit and the way mares' opponents have been getting the short end of the stick. (see mares/darchinyan,agbeko 1&2 and moreno)

i thought guerrero could have won without all that unnecessary bullshit. he did control the action and did a great job of smothering. he took some hellacious shots from berto and kept coming. is it enoiugh to get him a shot at floyd? probably not...but i do believe he's carving out his place in the division. someone mentioned him fighting ortiz, lopez or maidana...i think he beats them all. i'd much rather see him face bradley. i'd favor bradley in that one.

Same for me. This isn't the first time I've seen guerrero fight this way, he is a cheat.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Nov 26 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #88

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 26 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Same for me. This isn't the first time I've seen guerrero fight this way, he is a cheat.

He uses a lot of dirty (veteran) tactics, but I wouldn't go as far as callin' him a cheat. Bernard Hopkins is guilty of this, too.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Nov 26 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #89

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Berto needs Floyd Sr.. period...

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 26 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #90

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 25 2012, 03:02 PM) *

Terrific post! I too wont go as far as saying Berto lost because of the ref. Thats not fair to Guerrero. Who knows how he would have adjusted. That being said, Berto was fighting two people in there. He should have handled Guerrero head butting and all the hitting and holding better. A lot of that blame has to go to Bertos trainer. Berto is in the heat of battle, just regaining his composure after the knockdown, fighting Guerreros tactics and the ref, and barely able to see out of both eyes. Thats when you need your cornerman to be an extra set of eyes. I felt like his trainer dropped the ball yet again. For starters, I think Berto should have added a combination to that uppercut that landed all night. Maybe even double up with the uppercut. Also, Guerrero had a decent jab, but it was slow and he left it out there at times. Bert has fast hands. His trainer should have been telling Berto to be first with his own jab. There were so many things to be taken advantage of in that fight that Bertos trainer seemingly missed. But ultimately, the ref ruined that one for me.

Floyd Sr is great but I think, given Bertos personality, he needs a guy like Virgil Hunter or even Jeff Mayweather. Guys who are low key and will make him focus 100% on getting better as a fighter. With Sr, you have to already be disciplined. He isnt gonna teach you how to be professional. If you dont take yourself serious enoug with him, you just end like Hatton.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 06:48 AM