Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boxing and Race, Is it Racism to cheer for your own? or Ethnic Pride
Dolimite
post Jul 25 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

It is a known fact that when it comes to boxing, fans usually cheer on the lines of what two ethnic groups are fighting. If the fighter one fighter is of Mexican descent and the other fight is Asian, the Mexican fans will cheer for the Mexican boxer and the Asian fans will cheer for the Asian boxer. I find this interesting because in no other sport is this more highlighted. The reason why Alvarez is so popular is because of his ethnicity. The Majority of Mexicans are cheering for him because he is Mexican. Even Mexican fighters who are cheering on Canelo say the reason why is because he is Mexican.

The same when a Puerto Rican fights anyone, they cheer for him because of his ethnicity. Does this help or hurt boxing. Should fans always be blinded by the ethnicity of the fighter or should they appreciate the fighter for their skills versus skin color? Or does the color line bring in more bucks? If Saul was fighting another Mexican fighter would his fight coming up be more popular or would it be an average sell? Is it the fact that Saul is facing a black fighter Saul's fans are out in full force (I know Mayweather brings another level of hype but work with me)? Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd and his fight with Trinidad was highly rated. A Mexican American fighting a African American and a Puerto Rican.

How do you yawl feel about cheering for a fighter just because they are the same ethnicity?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HyyerBlaze
post Jul 25 2013, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,954

Its just like the olympics...people like to cheer for their countrymen, I dont see anything wrong with that.

I think american boxers should brace being from the USA more than they usually do....like wearing USA trunks and stuff of that nature.

Apollo Creed status haha
(IMG:http://www.filmapia.com/sites/default/files/filmapia/pub/scene/scene/Apollo-Creed-James-Brown.jpg)

This post has been edited by HyyerBlaze: Jul 25 2013, 12:04 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jul 25 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Am from Iraq so its kinda hard to cheer on any of my countrymen, but personally I don't see it as a massive issue for people to support boxers because of where there from. It's more of an issue when people take it too far vs the other fighters fans. Thats usually when the racism kicks off

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 25 2013, 01:02 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 25 2013, 01:45 PM) *
Am from Iraq so its kinda hard to cheer on any of my countrymen, but personally I don't see it as a massive issue for people to support boxers because of where there from. It's more of an issue when people take it too far vs the other fighters fans. Thats usually when the racism kicks off

They cant be worse than Philly fans. With hockey, they're the fuckin worse. They're crazy I tell ya! I've heard that soccer fans across the pond, are not to be played with either. Lol

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 25 2013, 01:08 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 25 2013, 12:43 PM) *
It is a known fact that when it comes to boxing, fans usually cheer on the lines of what two ethnic groups are fighting. If the fighter one fighter is of Mexican descent and the other fight is Asian, the Mexican fans will cheer for the Mexican boxer and the Asian fans will cheer for the Asian boxer. I find this interesting because in no other sport is this more highlighted. The reason why Alvarez is so popular is because of his ethnicity. The Majority of Mexicans are cheering for him because he is Mexican. Even Mexican fighters who are cheering on Canelo say the reason why is because he is Mexican.

The same when a Puerto Rican fights anyone, they cheer for him because of his ethnicity. Does this help or hurt boxing. Should fans always be blinded by the ethnicity of the fighter or should they appreciate the fighter for their skills versus skin color? Or does the color line bring in more bucks? If Saul was fighting another Mexican fighter would his fight coming up be more popular or would it be an average sell? Is it the fact that Saul is facing a black fighter Saul's fans are out in full force (I know Mayweather brings another level of hype but work with me)? Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd and his fight with Trinidad was highly rated. A Mexican American fighting a African American and a Puerto Rican.

How do you yawl feel about cheering for a fighter just because they are the same ethnicity?

before puerto ricans, blacks and mexicans it used to be irish, italians and jews. ethnicity has always played a part but i believe the true BOXING fans (and not the BOXER fans) don't cheer according to ethnic lines. i am of puerto rican and mexican decent...mixed with some african blood in there. i've never cheered on a fighter because of his ethnicity. i learned from an early age...it's about who is the better boxer. my first boxing hero was muhammad ali. the fighter that made me become a boxing fanatic was roberto duran. along the way i have enjoyed them all.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 25 2013, 02:32 PM
Post #6

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 11:02 AM) *
They cant be worse than Philly fans. With hockey, they're the fuckin worse. They're crazy I tell ya! I've heard that soccer fans across the pond, are not to be played with either. Lol

Philly fans are fucking terrible! Boston fans suck, Atlanta fans are obnoxious, and New York fans are mean! But English soccer fans just crazy!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 25 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 25 2013, 03:32 PM) *
Philly fans are fucking terrible! Boston fans suck, Atlanta fans are obnoxious, and New York fans are mean! But English soccer fans just crazy!

Man I'll put Philly fans right up there with English soccer fans. They always go for broke, and are more than willing to exchange blows if you either talk bad about their team or if their team is losing. Lol

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 25 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 25 2013, 02:02 PM) *

everytime im at an eagles game when im walking through the parking lot drunk about to walk into the link, i spit on all the cars who have opposing team stickers, i mean straight loogies point blank. if you got a opposing jersey your getting shit on verbally at least, if not me throwing a water bottle at the back of your fuckin head. shit is real homie. dont fuckin play wit us

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 25 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #9

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

but about the question, i not only love to see a great white hope, but i also rep fighters who have my persona and share my swag, style w/e you wanna call it, they just emulate a sort of energy that you identify with. thats why i like floyd and duran so much. i also loved hagler, just loveed his tough ass smash through you attitude, and his blue collar style. Plus my old man worked with a drunk from brockton, and he would come down to visit us and tell me about hagler when he was coming up and it just made me love him from an early age.

I always enjoy seeing a great white player tho, not because i think about race superiority or anything, but beacue it makes me feel like ok, race has nothing to do with athletics, its all about drive and pashion and natural skill, and that can come in any color or shape, because there are so many diffeent sports where one particular race dominates, such as whites in hockey, blacks in basketball, etc etc, but i love to see tiger woods, or larry bird. or manny pacquiao, wich shows you that it has nothing to do with race, were alll jsut humans with two legs and two arms, and what one man can do another can do. that makes me feel good. i also love underdogs.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 25 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I'm Mexican and other than marquez I don't like very many Mexican fighters... But I'm really into the sport so I guess its different for me or something

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:57 PM