IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Now that Kovalev knocked off Cleverly, Can he beat Adonis or BHop??
BrutUalBK
post Aug 17 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

I think a fight with Kovalev and Stevenson is a great match up stylewise but I don't believe that Kovalev is ready for BHop (Hopkins is too experienced both defensively and offensively).

What are your thoughts on these match-ups, who wins and how??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Aug 17 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Aug 17 2013, 10:16 PM) *
I think a fight with Kovalev and Stevenson is a great match up stylewise but I don't believe that Kovalev is ready for BHop (Hopkins is too experienced both defensively and offensively).

What are your thoughts on these match-ups, who wins and how??

I tend to agree about Hopkins, except if Kovalev relentlessly punches the body. Stevenson vs. Kovalev would be interesting. Tough one, as long as Stevenson boxes I have to pick him, but that is certainly a nice match up. Got to see how Stevenson looks against, what will hopefully be a wiser, Cloud first.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Aug 17 2013, 11:33 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Adonis gets KO'd. Hopkins DOES not fight him. In fact I expect Hopkins/Stevenson before either guy touches Kovalev

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Aug 18 2013, 01:40 AM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 17 2013, 11:47 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I don't see him beating Hopkins. Him and Stevenson would be good.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 19 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i liked what i saw from kovalev...but they should hold off on matching him with bhop. he'll get taken into deep water and drowned by bhop. cleverly made that fight easy for kovalev by leaning in all night and not throwing much. i've only seen him fight a couple times and he's usually more offensive. he should have tried to put kovalev on his heels or like roy said...box more to take some of the steam out of kovalev. one thing is for sure...the dude can punch.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Aug 19 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 17 2013, 11:33 PM) *
Adonis gets KO'd. Hopkins DOES not fight him. In fact I expect Hopkins/Stevenson before either guy touches Kovalev

Why not??? You think BHop is afraid of him or what? lol

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Aug 19 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 19 2013, 04:29 PM) *
i liked what i saw from kovalev...but they should hold off on matching him with bhop. he'll get taken into deep water and drowned by bhop. cleverly made that fight easy for kovalev by leaning in all night and not throwing much. i've only seen him fight a couple times and he's usually more offensive. he should have tried to put kovalev on his heels or like roy said...box more to take some of the steam out of kovalev. one thing is for sure...the dude can punch.

Exactly!! I mean this dude (Kovalev) beats one nobody and all of a sudden the bandwagon fans go screaming how BHop is afraid of him and won't fight him and other silly simple-minded stuff like that, come on-who the hell is Cleverly anyway? He didn't look all that cleverly to me (please do not pardon the pun).

Hopkins is far too experienced and skilled for a fighter who simply bulls his way in a straight line with no counterpunching ability and so many holes in his defense that it looks like Swiss cheese.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Aug 20 2013, 04:10 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Aug 19 2013, 06:14 PM) *
Why not??? You think BHop is afraid of him or what? lol

Hopkins had trouble with Dawson and even Pascal to some degree. This guy will jump on him like no other and throw hard blows at arms legs, head and hit whatever he can hit. At 49, Hopkins doesnt need that type of gruelling fight. Win or lose, he'd take some serious heat. Kovalev can absolutely hit with impact. If Pascal can put Hopkins down, then certainly Kovalev can. Props to Hopkins, if he takes the fight, but I truly see him going in another direction. I dont see that as an easy fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 21 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Aug 19 2013, 05:17 PM) *
Exactly!! I mean this dude (Kovalev) beats one nobody and all of a sudden the bandwagon fans go screaming how BHop is afraid of him and won't fight him and other silly simple-minded stuff like that, come on-who the hell is Cleverly anyway? He didn't look all that cleverly to me (please do not pardon the pun).

Hopkins is far too experienced and skilled for a fighter who simply bulls his way in a straight line with no counterpunching ability and so many holes in his defense that it looks like Swiss cheese.

not sure where i read it...but someone said kovalev was the original mandatory for bhop but passed on his shot to fight cleverly. if that's true then i got to rethink my opinion of this kid. i see the skill...he just doesn't bull his way in. he's highly skilled...but again, i'd like to see him in with someone that won't be so easy to hit.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Aug 21 2013, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 20 2013, 04:10 AM) *
Hopkins had trouble with Dawson and even Pascal to some degree. This guy will jump on him like no other and throw hard blows at arms legs, head and hit whatever he can hit. At 49, Hopkins doesnt need that type of gruelling fight. Win or lose, he'd take some serious heat. Kovalev can absolutely hit with impact. If Pascal can put Hopkins down, then certainly Kovalev can. Props to Hopkins, if he takes the fight, but I truly see him going in another direction. I dont see that as an easy fight.

So, let me get this straight; because BHop had a little trouble with Dawson (who is far technically superior than Kovalev) and Pascal (who is far faster and is very awkward) this means he is supposed to have all kinds of problems with a fighter who basically has a style like Pavlik's???

Yes, I agree BHop doesn't need a grueling fight but Kovalev isn't fast with neither his footwork nor his punches and he doesn't have the technical abilities of a master boxer and I haven't seen much of a defense in him either so I'm failing to see what he brings other than his youth, punching power and the fact that he'll be coming forward in a straight line (tailormade for Nard).

I don't see the fight as an easy fight either and I do see BHop going in a different direction of as right now because he has Murat on the table but Nard knows he's gonna need an opponent with a decent name/someone who is making noise in the division like Kovalev or Stevenson so one way or the other he's going to take on a fighter who is younger and more powerful, and it may as well be Sergey because the one advantage that Stevenson possess over many in the division is that he's a Southpaw but more importantly is that he's a SP with power.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 03:37 PM