> Ward's New Attitude
mattww
post Jun 5 2013, 09:13 AM
Post #11

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,940

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 5 2013, 11:42 PM) *
Fight more talk less. That's how you get exposure. Have 3 or 4 top opponents and dominate like he most likely would and he'd be good. Get a fighter of the year award and actually get on a PPV.

JCC, GGG, Canelo, BHOP. The Dawson or Froch rematches; which i don't really think he needs since he handled both soundly and definitively. Froch does deserve it more.

Also Andre Ward on Money team would be awesome i think, Mayweather should stack up on the Olympians. Get Rigondeaux too. I would love to see Mayweather, Ward, and Rigondeaux on the same fight card. Probably wouldn't happen but now a days if I'm paying for a PPV, i better be paying for more than 1 talent to watch.

I haven't been around too long but i wondered if they ever had days when their was more than 1 headlining fight on a PPV card so its actually worth the money instead of just 1 Main fight. They do it on UFC and i like the idea.

3 or 4 top opponents? The man has faced Dawson, Froch, Abraham and Kessler the past 3 years, not to mention solid wins in between.
He's already won a fighter of the year award.
Getting on PPV falls on his management and promotional team.
Canelo isn't going anywhere near Ward draining himself to 154, neither is GGG or BHOP as he's stated all along. There's no need for a Froch rematch unless it makes financial sense, cause he took care of him pretty easily the first time, as he did Dawson. The only fight out there is JCC if he wants to step up, or a move to light heavyweight.

There's not a lot going for Ward, he's already shown he's the cream of the crop, there isn't anyone out there around the division that will pose any kind of challenge to him, and that's out of his control. That, and the boxing public and networks don't appreciate the sweet science for what it is anymore. Ward's a master technician that only the die hard purists who appreciate real boxing can be entertained about. And it's pretty sad that a true champion like Ward has to suffer for it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 5 2013, 11:59 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Fight more talk less. That's how you get exposure. Have 3 or 4 top opponents and dominate like he most likely would and he'd be good. Get a fighter of the year award and actually get on a PPV.

JCC, GGG, Canelo, BHOP. The Dawson or Froch rematches; which i don't really think he needs since he handled both soundly and definitively. Froch does deserve it more.

Also Andre Ward on Money team would be awesome i think, Mayweather should stack up on the Olympians. Get Rigondeaux too. I would love to see Mayweather, Ward, and Rigondeaux on the same fight card. Probably wouldn't happen but now a days if I'm paying for a PPV, i better be paying for more than 1 talent to watch.

I haven't been around too long but i wondered if they ever had days when their was more than 1 headlining fight on a PPV card so its actually worth the money instead of just 1 Main fight. They do it on UFC and i like the idea.

The only thing that you stated here that he hasn't done is been on a PPV. He's tried the fight more talk less, it didn't work. He dominated the best opponents in his division in the super 6 and it still didn't work for him. He even beat and stopped Dawson which was one of his best fights and it aint work. He won fighter of the year when he whipped Froch a few years ago

It's broke and it needs fixing, he knows that now and he is trying to do just that. And I don't think that would be a good idea for him to fight under TMT. Greatness shouldn't fight under greatness

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Jun 6 2013, 09:42 AM
Post #13

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

it just seems like after each of his Biggest fights (the fights after super six) he ends up getting injured or something and we don't see him or hear from him in awhile. I know its his promotional team but Damn, he needs to take responsibility for himself. Its Andre Ward's career, not j prince's or whatever his promoters name is. Andre Ward isn't a top or big draw so he can't fight like he is fighting only once or twice a year... We need 3 or 4 fights a year.

I'm trying to understand Ward, so ill put myself in his shoes. All that skill, god given talent, gold medalist, undefeated and still not a top draw? He's a good man, so the people would like him if he got alittle exposure, maybe talked alittle tiny bit more trash just for a headline here or there. But the best way for him to get exposure is doing what he does best and beat anybody who steps in the ring with him. Maybe a few more fighters from the latino demographic. JCC at his weight, and when Canelo grows out of middle weight he can get it too. GGG said he would go up for the fight so why not take down this titan. He wont get the exposure beating up the White boys that not much people know.

I had a fight party for Ward vs Dawson. The people i had over aren't boxing purists so i was the only one who was really into it while they were trying to figure out who was who. I liked Dawson but he just got into the ring with the wrong one, totally outclassed. While people saw that as a boring fight, i saw it as a pivotal moment in both fighters Careers. And now look i haven't seen a fight from either of them...Soon ill finally see Chad again and hopefully that loss made him work harder because he has room to improve.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jun 6 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 6 2013, 06:42 AM) *
it just seems like after each of his Biggest fights (the fights after super six) he ends up getting injured or something and we don't see him or hear from him in awhile. I know its his promotional team but Damn, he needs to take responsibility for himself. Its Andre Ward's career, not j prince's or whatever his promoters name is. Andre Ward isn't a top or big draw so he can't fight like he is fighting only once or twice a year... We need 3 or 4 fights a year.

I'm trying to understand Ward, so ill put myself in his shoes. All that skill, god given talent, gold medalist, undefeated and still not a top draw? He's a good man, so the people would like him if he got alittle exposure, maybe talked alittle tiny bit more trash just for a headline here or there. But the best way for him to get exposure is doing what he does best and beat anybody who steps in the ring with him. Maybe a few more fighters from the latino demographic. JCC at his weight, and when Canelo grows out of middle weight he can get it too. GGG said he would go up for the fight so why not take down this titan. He wont get the exposure beating up the White boys that not much people know.

I had a fight party for Ward vs Dawson. The people i had over aren't boxing purists so i was the only one who was really into it while they were trying to figure out who was who. I liked Dawson but he just got into the ring with the wrong one, totally outclassed. While people saw that as a boring fight, i saw it as a pivotal moment in both fighters Careers. And now look i haven't seen a fight from either of them...Soon ill finally see Chad again and hopefully that loss made him work harder because he has room to improve.

The weight really bothered Dawnson, I am sorry, Dawson was way past his head for draining himself.

Ward needs a new promotional company. If he fought GGG it would be smart because he is the new top gun. Mind you people want Ward to fight Mayweather!!!!!!! Not for Ward's legacy but for Mayweather's! That tells you what people think of his skill set but come, no one knows Ward outside of Oakland and hardcore fans. If Ward signed with either TR or GB he would be exposed at the greatest level. He is knocking on 30 and hasn't had a block buster PPV offer or a big money fight. He needs exposure. A good guy with a sharp tongue will give him fan. He can be the rich man's Shane Mosley. If he fought JCC Jr. that would be big, but he would have to sign with Top Rank, that is alot of money for Bob and Bob loves money.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jun 6 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jun 3 2013, 10:59 PM) *
Have yawl notice Ward has a new attitude. he speaks with a chip on his shoulder and has an air of conceded type of attitude. I wonder if he is thinking he has to change his good guy type of tune or he is just tired of people overlooking him. He is 29, so I guess he has to try to start making big money fights and putting asses in the seats. With the rise of certain fighters popularity, Ward must feel the pressure to not fade out. I don't blame him for calling out Chavez Jr.

What Ward is tired of is the same criticisms that BHop had to endure the latter part of his career and that is that due to the fact that he is so technical he appears boring and adding to the fact that he isn't a big puncher (meaning he doesn't KO everyone) he is less of a draw/less exciting.

I think the criticisms are unfair, Ward is very technical and I actually enjoy the kind of fighter that actually uses boxing skills to win; every fight doesn't have to be a KO to be exciting to me.

Ward does those little things so much better than many of today's fighters which is why he and guys like BHop are still on top and will stay that way. He does feel the heat from it and is lashing out a little at those naysayers but all he has to do is continue to win and he will receive the admiration he deserves especially when he gets older.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 6 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *

stacking ppv cards with good fights isn't foreign to boxing. don king had 5 title fights on one card once. that was the last ppv i ever bought. it ended up being shit. but he did stack some great cards back in the day. he was the best at this.

ward was fighter of the year after he won the super 6.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jun 6 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jun 6 2013, 01:34 PM) *
What Ward is tired of is the same criticisms that BHop had to endure the latter part of his career and that is that due to the fact that he is so technical he appears boring and adding to the fact that he isn't a big puncher (meaning he doesn't KO everyone) he is less of a draw/less exciting.

I think the criticisms are unfair, Ward is very technical and I actually enjoy the kind of fighter that actually uses boxing skills to win; every fight doesn't have to be a KO to be exciting to me.

Ward does those little things so much better than many of today's fighters which is why he and guys like BHop are still on top and will stay that way. He does feel the heat from it and is lashing out a little at those naysayers but all he has to do is continue to win and he will receive the admiration he deserves especially when he gets older.

You don't think his promotional company (J Prince) is fucking him in the long run?

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Jun 6 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

I wanna blame his promotional company, and i dont wanna question Andre ward's integrity but the blame for his "fame" in boxing falls on him. He has the credentials and skills to be big but if his promoter was the problem why doesn't he just leave? So many people have left Top Rank because they felt some way about it, why doesn't ward do the same thing with his promotional company?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 6 2013, 06:36 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jovi @ Jun 6 2013, 06:28 PM) *
I wanna blame his promotional company, and i dont wanna question Andre ward's integrity but the blame for his "fame" in boxing falls on him. He has the credentials and skills to be big but if his promoter was the problem why doesn't he just leave? So many people have left Top Rank because they felt some way about it, why doesn't ward do the same thing with his promotional company?

he's content with goosen. he's getting what he wants. everyone seems to be measuring him to floyd. they're different ppl.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Jun 6 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #20

Lightweight

Member No.: 4,081

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 4 2013, 02:56 PM) *
He has a unique problem in the sense that whose out there for him to fight? He could rematch Froch and beat on him some more but after that, then what? There are some solid SMW's coming up but they need time to develop and by that time he'll probably be up at LHW. And whose there for him to fight? I'd like to see a rematch between he and Chad at Chad's comfortable weight as I think he'd perform better but I still see Ward beating him. He's a star who wants to go to the next level with no talent around him to get him there

And he has an exposure problem, true he's with HBO now and that will help tremendously. But his promoter needs to push him more, I don't know why the hell he got with J Prince because no one seems to know what he does exactly in the management capacity. Ward is a special talent and it takes outside the box and special ideas to push that talent and get it to where it needs to be. I think he should leave his promoter, who he should go with I don't really know

Hopkins had this same problem back in the day. Ward just has to continue to do what he is doing...and that is clean out everyone. He can make good money doing just that and eventually a mega-fight will come up. Ward will eventually get his big fights. It may not be now, but if he continues to dominate then someone will emerge over the next 2 or 3 years.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:35 PM