> Which is worse??, Your personal worst of the evils
checkleft
post Nov 5 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (flazi @ Nov 5 2012, 03:48 PM) *
thinking back, how many other margarito oppenents never been the same after they fought? so far only one comes to my mind, hercules kyevelos (sp?).

Cintron and cotto were definitely never the same. I have often been suspicious of his Martinez win too but obviously he only got better since then
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 6 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 5 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Knuckle pads (rolls of tape and gause on the knuckle) are illegal in New York, Vegas, and I think California. And both Trinidad and pacquiao have been caught doing it by Richardson and I believe both were made to rewrap their hands.

And I believe Resto admitted to having his wraps dipped in plaster of Paris on top of getting the padding removed for that fight and a few others.

Definitely agree with you on the steroids part.

what you are talking about is when the tape is rolled between the fingers. that's something different and doesn't add to anything. it protrudes past the knuckle....and yes, that is illegal.

again....trinidad wrapped his hands without the other corner being present. they re-wrapped his hands in the same manner. richardson accused them of stacking....(tape, then gauze, then tape..) but if they did anything illegal, there would have been punishment by the commission like what resto and margarito had. same goes for pac.

resto's case is very well documented....there was padding removed from the glove. it's not hard to research this. i've been involved in these discussions before. i've wrapped hands both professionally and on the amateur level for the past 15 years in a few different states and countries. i've done the research.

on a different note...what richardson has become a master at is psychological games surrounding the wrapping of hands. he does know the rules...and he does catch the mistakes....but i think he just brings a nervous energy to something that is normally a very relaxing moment for fighter and trainer. he comes in and disrupts that....and it gets carried to the ring. a good trainer wouldn't allow it....especially one that is on his shit and does things by the book.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 6 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 6 2012, 05:04 PM) *
what you are talking about is when the tape is rolled between the fingers. that's something different and doesn't add to anything. it protrudes past the knuckle....and yes, that is illegal.

again....trinidad wrapped his hands without the other corner being present. they re-wrapped his hands in the same manner. richardson accused them of stacking....(tape, then gauze, then tape..) but if they did anything illegal, there would have been punishment by the commission like what resto and margarito had. same goes for pac.

resto's case is very well documented....there was padding removed from the glove. it's not hard to research this. i've been involved in these discussions before. i've wrapped hands both professionally and on the amateur level for the past 15 years in a few different states and countries. i've done the research.

on a different note...what richardson has become a master at is psychological games surrounding the wrapping of hands. he does know the rules...and he does catch the mistakes....but i think he just brings a nervous energy to something that is normally a very relaxing moment for fighter and trainer. he comes in and disrupts that....and it gets carried to the ring. a good trainer wouldn't allow it....especially one that is on his shit and does things by the book.

Resto has admitted to having padding removed and plastering that same night.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3329115

But in trinidads case there are quotes from Richardson saying he was stacking (tape anywhere on the knuckle). But that's just word of mouth and the NY commission isn't exactly the most trustworthy source lol

But the tape thing is because there are many tricks out there to harden the tape like dipping them in ice water. That's why I think both are equally as bad cause in my mind tape is trying to deceive while plaster is more obvious.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 6 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Plaster all day! Worse fuckin' violation in the sport. I've seen guys on PEDs, that STILL get the short end of the stick. Maybe they were using the cheap shit, who knows. I cant get past that plaster though....

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 7 2012, 05:44 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Nov 6 2012, 05:47 PM) *
Resto has admitted to having padding removed and plastering that same night.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3329115

But in trinidads case there are quotes from Richardson saying he was stacking (tape anywhere on the knuckle). But that's just word of mouth and the NY commission isn't exactly the most trustworthy source lol

But the tape thing is because there are many tricks out there to harden the tape like dipping them in ice water. That's why I think both are equally as bad cause in my mind tape is trying to deceive while plaster is more obvious.

i stand corrected. thanks for the link.

richardsons' quotes have been contradicting on the trinidad matter.

wet wraps....or soaking them in plaster paris....that is a serious crime and should be punishable by a lifetime ban.

nysac is better than most....but you're right...that's not saying much.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 7 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 7 2012, 06:44 PM) *
i stand corrected. thanks for the link.

richardsons' quotes have been contradicting on the trinidad matter.

wet wraps....or soaking them in plaster paris....that is a serious crime and should be punishable by a lifetime ban.

nysac is better than most....but you're right...that's not saying much.

Exactly! But these stupid ass boxing politics interfere. Marg should have been fined and banned so he couldn't earn another penny

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 8 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 6 2012, 05:04 PM) *

Well For Pacquiao, he DEFINITELY rolled at least 1 inch of tape between his fingers in his fight with Margacheato. If it doesn't help....why do it?

But Plaster of Paris wraps has to be the worst offense. Think about it. Essentially, you're beating someone with a cast.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Nov 8 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

the plaster takes it by a mile

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 8 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 8 2012, 09:12 AM) *
Well For Pacquiao, he DEFINITELY rolled at least 1 inch of tape between his fingers in his fight with Margacheato. If it doesn't help....why do it?

But Plaster of Paris wraps has to be the worst offense. Think about it. Essentially, you're beating someone with a cast.

if you've ever had your hands wrapped...rolling the tape between you fingers is less serious than stacking. some believe it makes it easier to cut an opponent....but through the padding of an 8oz glove....i'm not so sure. i'd encourage any of u guys to test it yourselves and see the difference.

as for the plaster of paris....you will get no argument from me on that one. also....try wetting some gauze....that can have similar effects.

i won't name any names....but i know from experience that some trainers use some very sly tricks to give their fighters an unfair advantage with illegal wraps. that shit is no joke and even happens in the amateurs.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 9 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #20

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 8 2012, 09:36 PM) *
if you've ever had your hands wrapped...rolling the tape between you fingers is less serious than stacking. some believe it makes it easier to cut an opponent....but through the padding of an 8oz glove....i'm not so sure. i'd encourage any of u guys to test it yourselves and see the difference.

as for the plaster of paris....you will get no argument from me on that one. also....try wetting some gauze....that can have similar effects.

i won't name any names....but i know from experience that some trainers use some very sly tricks to give their fighters an unfair advantage with illegal wraps. that shit is no joke and even happens in the amateurs.

I'm not comparing it to stacking. Stacking is worse. Just LOOKING at stacking, you can tell that. But rolling tape between your knuckles should be illegal also. IMO, wrapping your hands should only be there to protect your hands. The wraps should not have ANY type of advantage and why nobody has made more of a fuss about it baffles me. I also think there should be a uniformed way of wrapping your hands. Either that, or have a neutral person wrap them. I know fighters like it done a "certain way" but fuck that. That shit is dangerous.

I'm not a fighter (at least not in te ring lol) so I'm sure you have more stories than I do but some of the ones I heard:
freezing the tape
spraying the tape and gauze with athlete's foot spray like Tinactin or something.
spraying the knucklepad with the clear epoxy you use to treat concrete and granite countertops

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 02:36 AM