IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather signs 6 fight deal w/showtime: Announces Guerrero as May 4th opponent, R.I.P. HBO
Jack 1000
post Feb 25 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #111

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Three Good Articles (Links at the link below.)

"Could the Mayweather Deal Collapse Under it's own Success?"

Learned that Floyd has total say of opponents in the deal." (Like Roy Jones in his prime at HBO, and many know where that lead.) Also, the opponent list is included in the plan, and unfortunately, outside of Guerrero, who isn't even well know to non-boxing fans, there's not really a lot of big names to justify the $60 PPV cost. Granted these ARE NOT the bums that Jones fought in his prime. Problem is, few are gonna pay $60 to watch Floyd fight Devon Alexander. Yes, he's on the list:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/boxing-buzz-170-173639

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 25 2013, 06:47 PM
Post #112

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

I saw on multiple websites including the Boston herald's article and on ESB about Mayweather reportedly turning in a list of opponents. And those opponents were Angulo, Alexander, Guerrero, Garcia, Maidana, and Canelo

I hope that's not true, there's only one name on there that poses a risk of him losing and that his Alvarez. With Showtime basically guaranteeing Mayweather's purses, this puts an interesting spin on things

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 25 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #113

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 25 2013, 06:45 PM) *
Three Good Articles (Links at the link below.)

"Could the Mayweather Deal Collapse Under it's own Success?"

Learned that Floyd has total say of opponents in the deal." (Like Roy Jones in his prime at HBO, and many know where that lead.) Also, the opponent list is included in the plan, and unfortunately, outside of Guerrero, who isn't even well know to non-boxing fans, there's not really a lot of big names to justify the $60 PPV cost. Granted these ARE NOT the bums that Jones fought in his prime. Problem is, few are gonna pay $60 to watch Floyd fight Devon Alexander. Yes, he's on the list:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/boxing-buzz-170-173639

Jack

i saw that list...it left a lot to be desired. honestly....for both floyd and showtime....it's a bit premature to be making multi fight deals. a win isn't exactly guaranteed in his next fight. i stated in another thread that i saw the potential for this to nose dive if he looks like shit against guerrero, which i believe he will.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Feb 25 2013, 06:54 PM
Post #114

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

Bums or not, the Roy Jones of the 90's doesn't lose to anyone from that era.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 25 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #115

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Plah @ Feb 25 2013, 07:54 PM) *
Bums or not, the Roy Jones of the 90's doesn't lose to anyone from that era.

we'll never know.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 26 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #116

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 25 2013, 05:47 PM) *
I saw on multiple websites including the Boston herald's article and on ESB about Mayweather reportedly turning in a list of opponents. And those opponents were Angulo, Alexander, Guerrero, Garcia, Maidana, and Canelo

I hope that's not true, there's only one name on there that poses a risk of him losing and that his Alvarez. With Showtime basically guaranteeing Mayweather's purses, this puts an interesting spin on things

Honestly, I see Guerrero as more of a threat than Alverez and I still think Floyd beats "The Ghost" as well. I just don't think "Cinnamon Head" is all that good.

The one factor is the layoff, and how many springs may have been lost in Floyd's steps. But what can Alverez do against Floyd to give him a chance of winning? Their best efforts are strong and determined Castillo, and neither Guerrero nor Alverez have the experience of Castillo. I think Guerrero's best chance is a Castillo I type of fight. Middle-ground is a Hatton type of fight, and worst is a swell and bust up one sided fight like Genaro Hernandez. I hope Robert doesn't get that! I can't tell you how its gonna go, I could see all three possibilities, well maybe not the Hernandez type of fight, Robert's got a great chin, but again does his face hold up? Alverez is a bigger name than Gurerro, but Guerrero is the tougher fighter. at least on paper.

Jack

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 26 2013, 12:44 AM
Post #117

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 25 2013, 11:05 PM) *
Honestly, I see Guerrero as more of a threat than Alverez and I still think Floyd beats "The Ghost" as well. I just don't think "Cinnamon Head" is all that good.

The one factor is the layoff, and how many springs may have been lost in Floyd's steps. But what can Alverez do against Floyd to give him a chance of winning? Their best efforts are strong and determined Castillo, and neither Guerrero nor Alverez have the experience of Castillo. I think Guerrero's best chance is a Castillo I type of fight. Middle-ground is a Hatton type of fight, and worst is a swell and bust up one sided fight like Genaro Hernandez. I hope Robert doesn't get that! I can't tell you how its gonna go, I could see all three possibilities, well maybe not the Hernandez type of fight, Robert's got a great chin, but again does his face hold up? Alverez is a bigger name than Gurerro, but Guerrero is the tougher fighter. at least on paper.

Jack

Guerrero I think is going to try to maul Floyd but I think he'll end up eating some shots on his way in, in order to get his offense going. I could see his face getting marked up and maybe his eye getting closed Ortiz style. He brings different tools to the fight but I think this is his best option to pull off the win. But depending on which way he tries to fight will decide what Floyd chooses to do. Regardless I see him beating Guerrero and if he fights in September I think he'll beat Canelo soundly too

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 26 2013, 02:46 AM
Post #118

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Imagine if the ghost comes out and tries to outbox Floyd, now that's be a shocker

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Feb 26 2013, 09:04 AM
Post #119

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think Floyd is too much of an opportunist to make a list of people to fight ahead of time. What if those guys get beat horribly in the near future and lose their buzz? Boxing is home to the literal "one hit wonders". I can't imagine why someone would pigeonhole themselves like that.

AS far as the Ghost is concerned, the only thing that I see as a threat regarding him is his reach. Floyd hasn't fought a tall guy in a while.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 26 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #120

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Is it me, or did it appear that Floyd was getting that credit that he "truly deserved" last weekend? It was just too weird for me. Lol

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 08:50 AM