Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> James Toney setting the right example, regarding catchweights
Guest_Fitz_*
post Sep 27 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Guests

After months of speculation, future Hall of Famer James "Lights Out" Toney made his proposed bout with cruiserweight contender Denis Lebedev official when he traveled to Russia to put pen to paper and announce the fight over the weekend. "I told you I would call you from Russia when I put my name on the piece of paper. It's on," stated Toney, who contacted FightHype.com earlier today with the news. Toney, who is now a lot thinner than the heavyweight frame he sported in his last fight, was offered the fight at a catchweight, but he refused in order to avoid any potential excuses following the outcome of the showdown.

"I didn't want a catchweight. I want him at his weight class. **** I may be smaller than him by fight time. I may weigh in at 197 pounds or so when it's all said and done. I don't want any excuses after I whoop his ass," Toney explained. It's no secret that the cruiserweight division is much more popular in Europe than it is here in the United States, but according to Toney, the treatment he's receiving in Russia is second to none. "These fans and media over here know that I'm not Roy Jones Jr. when it comes to fighting. I have a lot more left in the tank than Jones did when he came over here to fight Lebedev. He was done. They treating me like 50 Cent over here in Russia. Wait until I come to do the press tour. They will love me."

Lebedev was last seen knocking out Roy Jones Jr. in May with just 2 seconds remaining in their 10-round bout. Toney, who has twice as many knockouts (44) as Lebedev has wins (22), hasn't been in the ring since February when he won a unanimous decision victory over Damon Reed, when he weighed in at a career high of 257 pounds. Toney will now be returning to the cruiserweight division, a division in which he hasn't fought in since 2003. This fight will also mark only the second time Toney has traveled outside of the country for a fight as a professional in his 84-fight career. The first time was over 20 years ago when he fought in Monaco.

This is the type of mentality every fighter should have, I was pretty happy when I read this, good work on that decision.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Sep 27 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Proud American

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

I read this yesterday and was thinking the same thing.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Sep 27 2011, 06:25 PM
Post #3

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

toneys gonna whip lebedev...

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Sep 27 2011, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

I want to see Toney under 200. That will be a far tougher fight for him than Lebedev even if he gets his ass whipped in Russia.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 27 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #5

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

Toney - at least attitude wise - has always represented everything you could ever want in a fighter. He will truly fight anybody anywhere anytime and he just doesn't give a fuck.

The dramatic loss of weight at his age however concerns me. When you're used to being that fat for that long, you don't realize how much physical strength you can lose when you drop all those pounds. I hope James is sparring his ass off and getting used to what it feels like to fight at that weight again cause it's been a while.

This post has been edited by Big Slim Sweet: Sep 27 2011, 08:24 PM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 27 2011, 08:27 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 28 2011, 02:23 PM) *
Toney - at least attitude wise - has always represented everything you could ever want in a fighter. He will truly fight anybody anywhere anytime and he just doesn't give a fuck.

The dramatic loss of weight at his age however concerns me. When you're used to being that fat for that long, you don't realize how much physical strength you can lose when you drop all those pounds. I hope James is sparring his ass off and getting used to what it feels like to fight at that weight again cause it's been a while.

From what I understand, and maybe Percy could confirm this, is that James has been taking weight off gradually since the Damon Reed fight. If he's been shedding it over a course of 6-8 months he should be OK.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 27 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Toney is going to put a beating on Lebedev. As he himself said, he has more in the tank then RJJ @ this stage in his career and RJJ was beating Lebedev until that KO. I'm excited to see Toney back in action

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 27 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

James has always been one of my favs. Hope he has one good run left in him.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 27 2011, 11:11 PM
Post #9

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Sep 27 2011, 08:27 PM) *
From what I understand, and maybe Percy could confirm this, is that James has been taking weight off gradually since the Damon Reed fight. If he's been shedding it over a course of 6-8 months he should be OK.

No doubt if he's been doing it that way it's tremendous for his physical health and well being, I'm just saying I hope he's getting accustomed to fighting at that lesser weight again before stepping in the ring, because he has definitely lost some physical strength as well. It's inevitable. There's a lot of power carried in fat.

Of course, he'll be fighting a smaller man as well, so maybe it will average itself out. I hope so. It would be awesome to have Lights Out back for one more run, with a chance to fight Hopkins and/or Tarver to boot. Now THERE'S your next great 24-7.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Sep 27 2011, 11:14 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Sep 28 2011, 12:11 AM) *
No doubt if he's been doing it that way it's tremendous for his physical health and well being, I'm just saying I hope he's getting accustomed to fighting at that lesser weight again before stepping in the ring, because he has definitely lost some physical strength as well. It's inevitable. There's a lot of power carried in fat.

Of course, he'll be fighting a smaller man as well, so maybe it will average itself out. I hope so. It would be awesome to have Lights Out back for one more run, with a chance to fight Hopkins and/or Tarver to boot. Now THERE'S your next great 24-7.

Absolutely

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 06:01 PM