> floyd taking shots at ward!?, wtf?
dre98
post Mar 13 2013, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,589

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 02:41 PM) *
different strokes for different folks. there is truth to what floyd was saying....but did it need to be said?

if you're paid...does it need to be shouted from the mountain tops, do you need to be flashy?

if you're a gangster....do u need to act hard?

if you're better than someone else at anything do you need to constantly remind everybody?

i guess if you're insecure, you'll sing your own praises....or go fishing for compliments. i get that sometimes ppl need to be reminded but floyd is at a point in his career that he shouldn't have to say shit. when he does...he leaves himself open to interpretation and criticism. he likes the attention....and he isn't stupid. a lot of what he says is to stir up conversation and to get ppl mentioning his name. like he said...love him or hate him....we're all gonna watch. i enjoy seeing him do his thing. there are times when i enjoy the side show shit...i.e. him cursing larry merchant....and there are times when i cringe...him cursing his pops. when he fights....i watch, learn and take notes. all that other shit is meaningless to me. i don't watch him because he's controversial...or a fool...or a genius at marketing himself or any of that. i watch him because he is a genius in the ring.

Respect .......somethings arent necessary but what can you really say when a man puts on a good show or nobody puts the beats on him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 13 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 10:39 AM) *
stop. u joking right?

I cant see where it hurts his carreer. People are outraged because there was some truth to what Floyd said. Broner is more known than Ward. I dont hear you disputing that.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 13 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Ward seemed to reply pretty well.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 13 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 02:41 PM) *
different strokes for different folks. there is truth to what floyd was saying....but did it need to be said?

if you're paid...does it need to be shouted from the mountain tops, do you need to be flashy?

if you're a gangster....do u need to act hard?

if you're better than someone else at anything do you need to constantly remind everybody?

i guess if you're insecure, you'll sing your own praises....or go fishing for compliments. i get that sometimes ppl need to be reminded but floyd is at a point in his career that he shouldn't have to say shit. when he does...he leaves himself open to interpretation and criticism. he likes the attention....and he isn't stupid. a lot of what he says is to stir up conversation and to get ppl mentioning his name. like he said...love him or hate him....we're all gonna watch. i enjoy seeing him do his thing. there are times when i enjoy the side show shit...i.e. him cursing larry merchant....and there are times when i cringe...him cursing his pops. when he fights....i watch, learn and take notes. all that other shit is meaningless to me. i don't watch him because he's controversial...or a fool...or a genius at marketing himself or any of that. i watch him because he is a genius in the ring.

+1

But why is he seemingly the only one who gets demonized for Trash Talking when you guys who constantly are popping off at the gums and can't bust a grape in Welch's backyard? People like PM talks trash a mile a minute but can't even put a hole in a donut, people like Freddie Roach who was never much a fighter can spew venom (99% untrue) and no one will say anything or try to demonize him.

If we were to make a list of all the Trash Talkers ever to be in this sport then I can guarantee that Floyd wouldn't even rate/rank being up there with the best of them.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: Mar 13 2013, 03:34 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 13 2013, 03:12 PM) *
I cant see where it hurts his carreer. People are outraged because there was some truth to what Floyd said. Broner is more known than Ward. I dont hear you disputing that.

i'll dispute that right now. broner is not more known than ward.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 13 2013, 03:34 PM) *
+1

But why is he seemingly the only one who gets demonized for Trash Talking when you guys who constantly are popping off at the gums and can't bust a grape in Welch's backyard? People like PM talks trash a mile a minute but can't even put a hole in a donut, people like Freddie Roach who was never much a fighter can spew venom (99% untrue) and no one will say anything or try to demonize him.

If we were to make a list of all the Trash Talkers ever to be in this sport then I can guarantee that Floyd wouldn't even rate/rank being up there with the best of them.

i don't think they get a free ride. paulie isn't very well liked by many. he was boo'd in his own hometown his last fight! i don't think he gets a pass either but the shit he talks is much different than the shit floyd talks. floyds shit is almost venomous in comparison. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i agree on the freddie thing. (except i think he was a decent fighter) i called his shit talking a long time ago when ppl were demonizing floyd sr for attacking freddie when in reality it was freddie who attacked floyd sr first.

the thing that gets missed by most....

say what you will about wards earnings....or malignaggi's earnings....these guys do this for a living!!!! do you know how small the percentage is of guys who are prize fighters that earn enough to do this for a living??? sure, they're not on floyd's level....but who is? success is a relative term. i agree that ward should be making much more than he is...but let's be honest about this, he didn't capitalize on his gold medal the same way fighters did in the past. he took a much different route to get where he is today. him and virgil had to learn the ropes on their own. they didn't have the advantage of having 3 prize fighters (one a former world champion) in ward's family. floyd is where he is for multiple reasons. would he still be where he is today if it weren't for his pops? i don't think so. how about his uncle roger taking over when pops was in jail? floyd could have been derailed long ago. he didn't get to where he is all by himself. he's had very experienced ppl behind him. so ward being where he is...without the same advantages that floyd has...is still very good. can he take it higher? sure, but there's also other factors to consider. the timing of this all is different. the talent pool in wards situation is waaaaay smaller than it was for floyd. bottom line...ward is who he is...i don't believe he needs to sell his soul or become a villain or talk shit or have any kind of bullshit gimmick to be successful. he is one of the very few fighters i would pay to see. his career is far from over and however high he takes himself remains to be seen. floyd had a huge lull in career after that whole 'slave wages' comment he made in reference to his hbo contract. he may have been even bigger had he not set himself back with that statement....or he may have lost by now. who knows?

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 13 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #17

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 01:55 PM) *
i'll dispute that right now. broner is not more known than ward.

Whens the last time Ward had 1.4 mil viewers on HBO?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 13 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 13 2013, 04:12 PM) *
Whens the last time Ward had 1.4 mil viewers on HBO?

ward has only been on hbo for a short while. i'd be curious to see his numbers on showtime. ward has fought internationally known fighters and beat them handily. dawson, kessler, bika, froch, miranda and abraham. let's not forget that he won an olympic gold medal. ward has been around for quite some time and has headlined his own cards on tv. how many fights has broner headlined? how many internationally known fighters has he beaten? i don't care how hard he clings on to floyds nuts...that isn't going to give him more accomplishment or recognition than ward.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Mar 13 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #19

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2013, 05:10 PM) *
i don't think they get a free ride. paulie isn't very well liked by many. he was boo'd in his own hometown his last fight! i don't think he gets a pass either but the shit he talks is much different than the shit floyd talks. floyds shit is almost venomous in comparison. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i agree on the freddie thing. (except i think he was a decent fighter) i called his shit talking a long time ago when ppl were demonizing floyd sr for attacking freddie when in reality it was freddie who attacked floyd sr first.

the thing that gets missed by most....

say what you will about wards earnings....or malignaggi's earnings....these guys do this for a living!!!! do you know how small the percentage is of guys who are prize fighters that earn enough to do this for a living??? sure, they're not on floyd's level....but who is? success is a relative term. i agree that ward should be making much more than he is...but let's be honest about this, he didn't capitalize on his gold medal the same way fighters did in the past. he took a much different route to get where he is today. him and virgil had to learn the ropes on their own. they didn't have the advantage of having 3 prize fighters (one a former world champion) in ward's family. floyd is where he is for multiple reasons. would he still be where he is today if it weren't for his pops? i don't think so. how about his uncle roger taking over when pops was in jail? floyd could have been derailed long ago. he didn't get to where he is all by himself. he's had very experienced ppl behind him. so ward being where he is...without the same advantages that floyd has...is still very good. can he take it higher? sure, but there's also other factors to consider. the timing of this all is different. the talent pool in wards situation is waaaaay smaller than it was for floyd. bottom line...ward is who he is...i don't believe he needs to sell his soul or become a villain or talk shit or have any kind of bullshit gimmick to be successful. he is one of the very few fighters i would pay to see. his career is far from over and however high he takes himself remains to be seen. floyd had a huge lull in career after that whole 'slave wages' comment he made in reference to his hbo contract. he may have been even bigger had he not set himself back with that statement....or he may have lost by now. who knows?

Always gotta be a student to the game, Same frequency when it comes to Mayweather, probably Broner too... If i never saw Mayweather vs Marquez, idk if i would even be boxing.. But about Ward, he should just take it as positive criticism, he knows hes above it. But Mayweather aint lying, and i think most of the problem has to do with Ward's Activity as of recently. Every fight he gets alittle bit more popular but then u dont see him fight again for another year, he doesnt ride his own momentum, thats where he suffered career wise. If he keeps up the inactivity, Ward's legacy will stay exactly like him. Great, quiet, and Humble...With Ward being a big boy, everyone too big for Mayweather i think would get beat by Ward. I can't think of anyone right now that could beat him, he's sleeping on himself. I didn't know about him until i saw Froch fight. After he Decimated Dawson, I'll never question him again.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 13 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #20

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 13 2013, 04:37 PM) *
Always gotta be a student to the game, Same frequency when it comes to Mayweather, probably Broner too... If i never saw Mayweather vs Marquez, idk if i would even be boxing.. But about Ward, he should just take it as positive criticism, he knows hes above it. But Mayweather aint lying, and i think most of the problem has to do with Ward's Activity as of recently. Every fight he gets alittle bit more popular but then u dont see him fight again for another year, he doesnt ride his own momentum, thats where he suffered career wise. If he keeps up the inactivity, Ward's legacy will stay exactly like him. Great, quiet, and Humble...With Ward being a big boy, everyone too big for Mayweather i think would get beat by Ward. I can't think of anyone right now that could beat him, he's sleeping on himself. I didn't know about him until i saw Froch fight. After he Decimated Dawson, I'll never question him again.

You know here's the problem with the world; they want everyone to be this humble/lovable person when it comes to boxing but is that guy gonna really be that way when he's whuppin up on somebody's head? Obviously not, so I can kinda dig what Floyd was saying even though I don't like how he said it but that is what makes the world we live in unique>>>when we can be ourselves and not try to be what everyone else wants or think we should be.

Imagine if all of us were the same, how boring would life be? Floyd and his antics nobody cares for but for the press/media to go bonkers when he says something they don't like about one of their beloved/humble/likable people then everybody runs and gets their panties all in a bunch over it (by the way, I'm not directing any of this at you).

At the end of the day, it is what it is; should it matter that Floyd said it? No, what if Freddie Roach had said it, would it be worldwide news, would anyone really care and would they chose to Demonize him for it???

There are far more important issues than Floyd bashing on the humble and lovable character Shoe Shine Boy (Andre Ward)!! LOL, honestly there is!!

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:07 AM