Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Manny Steward
mgrover
post Oct 27 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #31

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

this is bad, people say boxings dying because of MMA, bullshit, its slowly fading because things like this happen, and people are to forget the ancestors of the sport.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Oct 31 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #32

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

While I'm not trying to piss on the man's grave, you have to say the good along with the bad to have the true measure of a man. With that said then here goes:

Steward was the Father of the most bogus excuses for losing a fight, he came up with the "Weight Drained" theory (after TH was KO'd by SRL in their first fight) and the "Vaseline" theory (after Klits was KO'd by Brewster).

He often did the Uncle Tom shuffle when before fights when he was asked to pick a winner but he would never do so when there is a fighter that Merchant and Lampley preferred, he'd always say something like "I'm in a mess on trying to pick a winner in this bout" or "we'll just have to wait and see".

It seems he was often afraid to pick the over fighter over the HBO house fighter but I'll always recognize him as a great Trainer despite his waffling on picking a winner and his manufactured/evented excuses whenever his best fighters lost a fight.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 1 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #33

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 31 2012, 03:20 PM) *
While I'm not trying to piss on the man's grave, you have to say the good along with the bad to have the true measure of a man. With that said then here goes:

Steward was the Father of the most bogus excuses for losing a fight, he came up with the "Weight Drained" theory (after TH was KO'd by SRL in their first fight) and the "Vaseline" theory (after Klits was KO'd by Brewster).

He often did the Uncle Tom shuffle when before fights when he was asked to pick a winner but he would never do so when there is a fighter that Merchant and Lampley preferred, he'd always say something like "I'm in a mess on trying to pick a winner in this bout" or "we'll just have to wait and see".

It seems he was often afraid to pick the over fighter over the HBO house fighter but I'll always recognize him as a great Trainer despite his waffling on picking a winner and his manufactured/evented excuses whenever his best fighters lost a fight.

I will say, I was in the minority of people that agreed with Floyd when he called Manny and Uncle Tom. In retrospect, that is a bit harsh of a comment. That said, Manny did pander to the HBO agenda. The stories of how he and Floyd Jr's beef started were the catalyst for me looking at Manny in a different light. From what I hear, Manny wanted to train Floyd after Floyd Sr went to jail. When Floyd decided to stick with his uncles, Manny's pride was hurt and he continued to slander Mayweather's name every chance he got.

Anyone know the specifics of his problems with Floyd Sr.?

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Nov 1 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #34

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 1 2012, 12:48 PM) *
I will say, I was in the minority of people that agreed with Floyd when he called Manny and Uncle Tom. In retrospect, that is a bit harsh of a comment. That said, Manny did pander to the HBO agenda. The stories of how he and Floyd Jr's beef started were the catalyst for me looking at Manny in a different light. From what I hear, Manny wanted to train Floyd after Floyd Sr went to jail. When Floyd decided to stick with his uncles, Manny's pride was hurt and he continued to slander Mayweather's name every chance he got.

I've heard that too but never saw anything concrete on it so I can't say for sure but it was evident that there was some sort of tension there between them though Steward always respected Floyd's abilities in the ring.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 2 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #35

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 31 2012, 02:20 PM) *

1. never heard that theory from him....but it happens.

2. that was wlad's story....not manny's. i remember manny speaking against that theory.

3. most of the time he did that...i shared his view on the matter. there are tough fights sometimes and picking a winner isn't always clear cut. u know if fighter A does this...then he should win...but if fighter B does this...he's got a shot too. he used to look at and cover all bases. it's what trainers do. i can't call that waffling....or uncle tom shuffle.

as for him being afraid...i don't know about that...but he would say what he thought....then lampley or merchants over-powering/over-bearing personalities would try to shoot down his view or offer theirs...i think he just agreed to keep things going instead of arguing like big george used to do.

what i found funny was his...."this is exactly how i thought it was going to go...." i am guilty of that sometimes. as a trainer....and a fighter....u play out several scenarios and map out your plan accordingly. if i've done that the way i'm supposed to, because there are soooo many variables in a fight...one of those scenarios is bound to be right....so, "this is exactly how i thought it would go!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 2 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #36

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 1 2012, 12:48 PM) *

never heard floyd(jr or sr) say anything bad about manny....or vice versa.

i do recall james toney speaking harshly about him though....but that's what jt does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) he talks shit 24/7.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 2 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #37

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 27 2012, 04:24 PM) *
this is bad, people say boxings dying because of MMA, bullshit, its slowly fading because things like this happen, and people are to forget the ancestors of the sport.

boxing is not dying. mma has absolutely nothing to do with boxing and vice versa.

i do agree that old timers passing on is bad for the sport. but in manny's case....he's passed on what he knows to sooooo many ppl and they are carrying on his legacy i'm sure. there are a ton of guys who have worked with him that we have never even heard of that will emerge in the future as disciples of manny whether they claim it or not. there is lineage in all of this just like martial arts. i myself have never fought pro...but i have worked with several trainers that i learned several things from over the years. i've also befriended old timers just to benefit from their knowledge. i know if i've done this....i cannot be the only one. i won't say the sport is dying....because even in manny's passing....his legacy still lives on in the lives he's touched both near and far.

ppl forget....but he didn't bring andy lee up from the amateurs. lee was the product of KRONK GYM IRELAND!!!! he sought out manny from ireland to make that connection happen. what that tells me is that this man's reach was that great during his life time. there's no question that his memory will live on.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 5 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #38

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 2 2012, 07:24 PM) *
never heard floyd(jr or sr) say anything bad about manny....or vice versa.

i do recall james toney speaking harshly about him though....but that's what jt does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) he talks shit 24/7.

They had a big time beef for years. That's why it was so surprising when he came out and hugged both Manny and Lampley after the Cotto fight.

As for Manny and Sr's beef, there was a story on the main page a few days back about them squashing their beef. I never knew what theres was about.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Nov 5 2012, 09:14 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 6 2012, 08:34 AM
Post #39

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Franchize @ Nov 5 2012, 09:13 AM) *
They had a big time beef for years. That's why it was so surprising when he came out and hugged both Manny and Lampley after the Cotto fight.

Maybe he was just happy about that whopping $32M that he racked up before he left the locker room. I know I'd be happy if the fight was over and I was able to spend that kind of money...I know the excitement I feel about my measly check every other week (measly compared to Floyd's of course) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 6 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #40

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 6 2012, 08:34 AM) *
Maybe he was just happy about that whopping $32M that he racked up before he left the locker room. I know I'd be happy if the fight was over and I was able to spend that kind of money...I know the excitement I feel about my measly check every other week (measly compared to Floyd's of course) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

there's also that happiness of coming out on the winning end of a really tough fight.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 08:38 PM