IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hopkins vs Dawson revisited, Hopkins is still great defensively-- Cloud will have hands full
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 1 2013, 06:00 PM) *
Is it Hopkins fault that Chad can't defend properly? I swear that shit when drop there heads and put it in the other fights chest/body is mainly because there head movement sucks.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i'll agree to disagree.

hops never wanted that fight to begin with. i was shocked he showed up in the ring. chad beat him fair and square. no shame in a loss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 1 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 10:29 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i'll agree to disagree.

hops never wanted that fight to begin with. i was shocked he showed up in the ring. chad beat him fair and square. no shame in a loss.

Just a bad style for Hopkins I think, since he has to slow the pace of the fight to a stand still otherwise it doesn't work out for him.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 1 2013, 06:50 PM) *
Just a bad style for Hopkins I think, since he has to slow the pace of the fight to a stand still otherwise it doesn't work out for him.

it's really simple. anytime a fighter has better feet than bhop...he loses. roy(1st fight), calzaghe, dawson...the exception being taylor.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 1 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #14

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 06:23 PM) *
it's really simple. anytime a fighter has better feet than bhop...he loses. roy(1st fight), calzaghe, dawson...the exception being taylor.

better feet Prof?? I understand all the aforementioned analysis yet this fight seems to mirror the Calzaghe bout in many respects. No way in hell Calzaghe beat Hopkins although it was close in my view. I recall dawson whiffing big time often trying to land flush... I can agree Hop could have done more offensively but I am struggling to see anything emphatic in the Dawson victory. No shame in the loss especially at the age of 47 though...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Mar 1 2013, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 1 2013, 07:28 PM) *
better feet Prof?? I understand all the aforementioned analysis yet this fight seems to mirror the Calzaghe bout in many respects. No way in hell Calzaghe beat Hopkins although it was close in my view. I recall dawson whiffing big time often trying to land flush... I can agree Hop could have done more offensively but I am struggling to see anything emphatic in the Dawson victory. No shame in the loss especially at the age of 47 though...

better/faster...yes.

bhop does well with age because he has excellent foot work and uses it to slow opponents down big time. he understands positioning very well and how to minimize impact of an opponents punch...or make them miss altogether. the guys he tends to beat usually are inferior in this area. trinidad, pavlik, pascal...they all had sloppy footwork in comparison.

calzaghe just simply outpointed bhop imo. sure...it wasn't a great win...but it was a win none the less.

dawson pretty much did the same...he outworked bhop. the most damage bhop did was as someone previously stated...with his head butts and dirty tactics.

i take nothing away from his accomplishments. he's one of the greatest in the history of the sport...but he can be beaten.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 1 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #16

Welterweight

Great analysis on the footwork vs inferior opponents--- I agree of course he can be beaten just like any other fighter yet how many emphatic losses has he had in his career? his first pro bout at 175----Jones 1.. taylor 2 maybe...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Mar 1 2013, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 1 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2013, 11:23 PM) *

I don't think Calzaghe beat Hopkins. I've seen that fight so many times and just can't see a win for him.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 1 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #18

Welterweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 1 2013, 07:34 PM) *
I don't think Calzaghe beat Hopkins. I've seen that fight so many times and just can't see a win for him.

Neither can I especially in in slo motion watching hop often make Calzaghe miss 6-7 girl slap type punches trying to hit him... cal landed a few clean shots but not enough to offset being on the canvas

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Mar 1 2013, 07:41 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 1 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 1 2013, 08:34 PM) *

i might have fallen asleep on that fight. if i remember correctly, i had it a draw. i could see it going either way. i'd have to watch again to say for certain. i remember joking that they both deserved a loss for that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 1 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 2 2013, 01:16 AM) *
i might have fallen asleep on that fight. if i remember correctly, i had it a draw. i could see it going either way. i'd have to watch again to say for certain. i remember joking that they both deserved a loss for that one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I don't blame you to be honest. Maybe I just had a strong dislike for Calzaghe lol

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 02:12 AM