> Nonito jumps ship to GBP
gravytrain
post Mar 16 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #11

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 16 2011, 07:52 PM) *
Good for Nonito i think GBP will treat him better.

Arum must be f*cking pissed though.

i think Arum deserves it, not even putting the man on Pac's undercards was fucked up. hopefully GBP works out for him.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 16 2011, 07:11 PM) *
YES! I'm so happy! Now all we need is for Pacquiao to sign with Don King!

Pac's English has gotten better over the years but once King starts jiving he wouldn't understand a damn thing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michigan Assassi...
post Mar 16 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #12

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,341

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 16 2011, 09:50 PM) *
i think Arum deserves it, not even putting the man on Pac's undercards was fucked up. hopefully GBP works out for him.

Pac's English has gotten better over the years but once King starts jiving he wouldn't understand a damn thing.

I've always heard that Manny didn't want him on his undercards. I actually think it may have worked to Nonito's benefit that he wasn't though because he's been creating his own legacy.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 16 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (Michigan Assassin @ Mar 16 2011, 08:59 PM) *
I've always heard that Manny didn't want him on his undercards. I actually think it may have worked to Nonito's benefit that he wasn't though because he's been creating his own legacy.

i heard that too, at the end of the day Arum is going to have a say on who's on and off of the card though. in all honesty i think it's probably because Manny wasn't getting a cut from Donaire. either way it'd have been good business for Arum, i don't think the exposure would really be giving him a break either seeing as they shared a promoter . Arum could have some bullshit fight on the undercard or someone that boxing fans want to see, Donaire has better things in his future than Foreman or Chavez jr too.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 16 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 16 2011, 07:06 PM) *
Exactly.

I don't know. At least with this, I have hope. Arum already scoffed at the suggestions that Donaire could fight one of the other champions at bantam. Like they were not worth it and he beats them on paper, so there isn't much point. He was already talking about a fight with Lopez or Gamboa. While minutes ago, Donaire was saying it was always his dream to become undisputed in a division and would love to fight the winner.
So to answer you question. I don't know if it will be done differently, but I hate Arum anyways, so I'm happy about that and there is hope at least. I suppose if Donaire's next fight is against one of the other bantams, I can say that Golden Boy have done it differently.

Given the chance Golden Boy will prove themselves to be bigger snakes than either Arum or King. Given their reasonably short history they've already indulged in some shady stuff like skimming the undercard fighters on the Khan/Malignaggi bill.

As for putting on good fights, these are the guys that deemed Mosley/Mora PPV worthy. That's gotta be the worst of the lot and were then prepared to fuck one of their own partners (Mosley) in his attempt to get a Pacquaio fight.

Just watch, they will fuck up Donaire's career just like they'll screw up Alvarez's. People are rejoicing now, and I understand why, Arum has gone out of his way to irritate hardcore fans for the last coupla years, but trust me long term this will not be a good move fo Donaire.

I really like Donaire, he is a class act and a monster in the ring and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure this move is for the best.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 16 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #15

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 16 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Given the chance Golden Boy will prove themselves to be bigger snakes than either Arum or King. Given their reasonably short history they've already indulged in some shady stuff like skimming the undercard fighters on the Khan/Malignaggi bill.

As for putting on good fights, these are the guys that deemed Mosley/Mora PPV worthy. That's gotta be the worst of the lot and were then prepared to fuck one of their own partners (Mosley) in his attempt to get a Pacquaio fight.

Just watch, they will fuck up Donaire's career just like they'll screw up Alvarez's. People are rejoicing now, and I understand why, Arum has gone out of his way to irritate hardcore fans for the last coupla years, but trust me long term this will not be a good move fo Donaire.

I really like Donaire, he is a class act and a monster in the ring and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not sure this move is for the best.

that's about like trying to decide what shit smells the worst, all of the promoters making any money are completely full of shit and only care about themselves. as for the choice of PPVs i'd say it's the same situation, all the major promoters, at this point GBP and TR, put out shitty PPVs for no other reason than they make more money than having it on HBO or Showtime for free.

personally i think GBP wil most definitely put him in the mix at bantamweight without messing around and they already have Mares so if things go well for him that's a potential opponent. Arum has also seemed to in my opinion neglect his other fighters if they're not Pac/can't fight Pac so maybe GBP will give him more attention and try to cash in on him sooner rather than later.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 17 2011, 03:27 AM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 17 2011, 12:57 AM) *
that's about like trying to decide what shit smells the worst, all of the promoters making any money are completely full of shit and only care about themselves. as for the choice of PPVs i'd say it's the same situation, all the major promoters, at this point GBP and TR, put out shitty PPVs for no other reason than they make more money than having it on HBO or Showtime for free.

personally i think GBP wil most definitely put him in the mix at bantamweight without messing around and they already have Mares so if things go well for him that's a potential opponent. Arum has also seemed to in my opinion neglect his other fighters if they're not Pac/can't fight Pac so maybe GBP will give him more attention and try to cash in on him sooner rather than later.

I've yet to see any proof that Golden Shower Promotions know how to properly build up a fighter. I've seen them destroy a couple. I guess this will be a prime opportunity for the Swiss banker to prove me wrong.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Mar 17 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #17

Welterweight

Member No.: 6,422

http://www.boxingscene.com/rachel-donaire-...lden-boy--37093

BoxingScene.com: How do you feel Nonito Donaire's stature has been affected by the fact that Manny Pacquiao is the top fighter in the Top Rank stable?

Rachel Donaire:
The thing is that we needed to take chances. It was hard to get fights. At least, A-level fights with Manny Pacquiao making these huge dollar sign amounts.

I think whenever we had to discuss Nonito's fights, you know, it was kind of on the back burner for Nonito, like, whatever is left on the bone, that's what you have. But that's the energy they seemed to spend on him. But it wasn't like a really big priority for them to set Nonito up with really big fights.

I understand that Manny was fighting Oscar De La Hoya, and Juan Manuel Marquez, and super big, just enormous names. But at the same time, the reason why Nonito signed with Top Rank is that they had Manny.

And Top Rank was the one that really wanted Nonito. Coming from Gary Shaw, they really wanted Nonito. And they were like, 'What can we do to get him here?' We figured that because Bob Arum kept marketing him as the next Manny Pacquiao, that they would market him with Manny, you know what I mean?

But a simple thing like being on the same show on the undercard was not something that was done in the last three years. We didn't think that was that big of a thing to do.

That would have helped with the fan followings if Nonito had been on the same HBO cards as Manny. But, I mean, everything happens for a reason.
And I think that Nonito needs to tell people, and to make it on his own. Even back here in the Philippines, they refer to Manny all of the time.

Now, Nonito is never going to be Manny, but Manny's also never going to be Nonito. That's just how it has to be. They grew up in different places and they can be respected as two different fighters.

This post has been edited by Byrd Man: Mar 17 2011, 04:21 AM

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Mar 17 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 17 2011, 03:27 AM) *
I've yet to see any proof that Golden Shower Promotions know how to properly build up a fighter. I've seen them destroy a couple. I guess this will be a prime opportunity for the Swiss banker to prove me wrong.

does Kelly Pavlik ring a bell? lol. all promoters fuck up and fuck around, i expect that. i don't think going to GBP is a disaster though, if anything it shows me Donaire is a respectable guy that feels looked over and doesn't want to ride bitch in his career. he could have easily stayed with Arum and hoped for the best despite feeling that his best effort hasn't been put into Donaire's career, i'm sure Arum could easily say "look at Pac, is that where you want to be when he retires?". instead of doing that he's trying to get the bigger fights and have someone as a promoter that will help him secure them.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 17 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 17 2011, 11:49 AM) *
does Kelly Pavlik ring a bell? lol. all promoters fuck up and fuck around, i expect that. i don't think going to GBP is a disaster though, if anything it shows me Donaire is a respectable guy that feels looked over and doesn't want to ride bitch in his career. he could have easily stayed with Arum and hoped for the best despite feeling that his best effort hasn't been put into Donaire's career, i'm sure Arum could easily say "look at Pac, is that where you want to be when he retires?". instead of doing that he's trying to get the bigger fights and have someone as a promoter that will help him secure them.

Yep Kelly Pavlik rings a bell alright. How Arum was ale to squeeze those many big money fights out of a guy who was frankly an average talent (and as we now know an alcoholic as well) was pretty damn impressive.

Nice going Bob, LOL.

Look I think Donaire is a respectable guy as well. I like him a lot. I hope this move is successful for him. And yes all promotors are pretty much snakes in the grass. I'm just not sure he's jumped to the best snake. I think I'd go to Lou Dibella over these guys.

Yes they will have an immediate decent fight waiting for him, but what then? Golden Boy seems to run out of ideas pretty quick and they lack the creativity of the old school guys.

I hope Donaire at least got a whopping sign-on bonuss. Maybe Oscar still has that old duffel bag lying around he once tried to give Manny, haha.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 17 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 17 2011, 11:49 AM) *

Yep Kelly Pavlik rings a bell alright. How Arum was ale to squeeze those many big money fights out of a guy who was frankly an average talent (and as we now know an alcoholic as well) was pretty damn impressive.

Nice going Bob, LOL.

Look I think Donaire is a respectable guy as well. I like him a lot. I hope this move is successful for him. And yes all promotors are pretty much snakes in the grass. I'm just not sure he's jumped to the best snake. I think I'd go to Lou Dibella over these guys.

Yes they will have an immediate decent fight waiting for him, but what then? Golden Boy seems to run out of ideas pretty quick and they lack the creativity of the old school guys.

I hope Donaire at least got a whopping sign-on bonuss. Maybe Oscar still has that old duffel bag lying around he once tried to give Manny, haha.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:56 PM