IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ivan "Iron Boy" Calderon retires...., thank you for a great career!!!
daprofessor
post Oct 30 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

19 successful title defenses!? seriously underrated imo. fuck u larry merchant for shitting on this guys career!!! and fuck u bob arum for not promoting him properly!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Oct 30 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #2

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,802

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 30 2012, 02:20 PM) *
19 successful title defenses!? seriously underrated imo. fuck u larry merchant for shitting on this guys career!!! and fuck u bob arum for not promoting him properly!!!

Damn...tell us how you feel professor.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 30 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Oct 30 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Damn...tell us how you feel professor.

larry merchant shit on him years ago on the under card of gatti/mayweather and that was the last time i saw him on hbo. he made some comment about calderon's punches being like gnats or some bullshit...all the while not noticing the high level of skill that was on display. larry merchant truly does not know shit about boxing and in comparison to his counterparts on other networks...it's clear to me that he doesn't appreciate high skill level fighters. calderon has put on some skillful displays over the years and unfortunately i usually had to catch them on youtube after the fact. calderon was a toprank fighter.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Oct 31 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

The only thing I can say about Caldo is that if he was a KO artist that he would've been at the very top of the P4P list during his time as champion, his lack of punching power was his achilles heel.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 1 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Oct 31 2012, 02:04 PM) *
The only thing I can say about Caldo is that if he was a KO artist that he would've been at the very top of the P4P list during his time as champion, his lack of punching power was his achilles heel.

not all atg boxers...or p4p boxers were knock out artists. willie pep and pernell whitaker immediately come to mind.

calderon's skill set, especially during this era....is several notches above most.

his 19 title defenses are 2nd only to bhop, i believe. that's great company to be in.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Nov 1 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 1 2012, 03:08 PM) *
not all atg boxers...or p4p boxers were knock out artists. willie pep and pernell whitaker immediately come to mind.

calderon's skill set, especially during this era....is several notches above most.

his 19 title defenses are 2nd only to bhop, i believe. that's great company to be in.

While I agree wholeheartedly with you; in this era it's all about who knocks people out, Floyd isn't a fan favorite though he wins easily but Pac is because he was getting stoppages, they celebrated Tyson, Tito, Hearns, Foreman and every big puncher moreso than they do highly skilled technical fighters without KO power and that's all I'm saying in regards to Caldo, he was an excellent fighter for many years but was never moved up or talked about in the very top of the P4P list even though he was dominating all his opponents easily.

The reason for his lack of mentioning with the P4Pers of his time was because he lacked punching power point blank period.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Nov 2 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #7

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Nov 1 2012, 09:44 PM) *
The reason for his lack of mentioning with the P4Pers of his time was because he lacked punching power point blank period.

That and the division he was fighting in. 105 and 108 pounders don't get any recognition.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 2 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Plah @ Nov 2 2012, 03:49 PM) *
That and the division he was fighting in. 105 and 108 pounders don't get any recognition.

ricardo 'finito' lopez used to ko ppl....i think it may be about the weight class. certain small guys just get zero love. another one that comes to mind...although he was a little bigger...but still a small guy, orlando canizales. those are some bad dudes!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:37 PM