IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adonis Signs with Al Haymon, (Topics Merged)
KOpower
post Feb 21 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #21

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

Who are the fighters at 168 and 175 for Stevenson at GBP? Why would he possibly leave HBO? The bigger and better fights for him are at HBO and nobody can debate that.

Again, if I am running HBO, why am I giving Stevenson a dime more than he otherwise would get? Al Haymon has no leverage at HBO. None. I just don't see the value of Haymon for Stevenson and you have yet to explain to me why HBO would negotiate with Stevenson any differently now that he has AH on his side.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 21 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #22

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 21 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Who are the fighters at 168 and 175 for Stevenson at GBP? Why would he possibly leave HBO? The bigger and better fights for him are at HBO and nobody can debate that.

Again, if I am running HBO, why am I giving Stevenson a dime more than he otherwise would get? Al Haymon has no leverage at HBO. None. I just don't see the value of Haymon for Stevenson and you have yet to explain to me why HBO would negotiate with Stevenson any differently now that he has AH on his side.

Yup the bigger fights as in Sergey and Andre are at HBO and I'm not saying they should negotiate differently with Stevenson now that Haymon is involved but you've yet to acknowledge that Stevenson is looking for bigger money. If your stance is HBO is needed more by Stevenson then I laugh at you. True, there's two fights for him there that actually mean something. But he brought in Haymon for bigger fight purses, so what is going to happen if he doesn't get it, he'll walk across the street.

If your running HBO and you don't want to pay him a dime more then he's getting then I'd tell you to fuck off because your business sense is shit. A fight with Kovalev is worth a lot of money and he wants to be compensated. Haymon gets his fighters paid...point blank period. they gon pay the man or they're going to be down another fighter and a big fight gone.

You say who GB has at 168 and 175, but you ain't telling me shit outside of a few names that HBO has...there are other credible opponents at 175 besides Kovalev, that division is heating up but most ain't paying attention to it. I'm being realistic, besides Ward and Sergey, them other cats you named ain't fighting him. Pascal even danced around it.

HBO doesn't have exclusive rights to the boxers who fight on their network so whose to say if Adonis left that they won't fight him on Showtime. It's a lot of bullshit being thrown around by fighters who claim networks in the way and they don't have exclusive deals with those networks. Haymon has the leverage of potentially killing a fight they've wanted to make, a big ratings fight..Haymon taking Stevenson to Showtime would fuck them up...Stevenson clearly doesn't care either way because he's coveted a Hopkins fight more then one with Kovalev and he'd get paid handsomely for such a fight...Haymon is a powerful figure, he's got leverage whether you choose to see it or not

Your underestimating and under valuing what Haymon brings to the table. Everything your saying is speculation but Haymon's track record in the business speaks for itself. The fan favorite network for I can't even count the yrs, feature fighters he manages. He has power bro lol

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 22 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #23

Super Featherweight

Stevenson may look for bigger money and that is fine but Al Haymon isn't going to get it for him at HBO b/c he has no leverage there. He can't just "walk across the street" either b/c the fights aren't there that lead to the bigger money. That's my point. If Stevenson was signed to Showtime and Showtime had the best fighters at 168 and 175, Haymon makes sense b/c Haymon could use the leverage he has with other Showtime fighters to get Stevenson a better deal. With HBO he has no leverage. Look, if Stevenson signs with Haymon and the first thing Haymon does is take him to Showtime then Stevenson got robbed blind. HBO clearly has the biggest fights at 168 and 175.

You are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say I wouldn't pay Stevenson a "dime more". What I am saying is that a fight with Kov is worth X for HBO to try and put together. That X does NOT increase because Stevenson decided to add Haymon to his payroll b/c Al doesn't have the leverage at HBO that he has at Showtime. Would Al Haymon really take Stevenson over to Showtime? If you are Stevenson, do you really want to leave HBO and their stable? Do you really want to go fight a "Golden Boy Promotions" legend on the "Golden Boy Promotions" network? Would Showtime really pay a non-GBP fighter MORE than HBO would to fight lesser opposition? HIGHLY unlikely.

The threat of Haymon taking Stevenson to Showtime isn't going to work. It won't get him more money at HBO. There just aren't many good options at Showtime and the LAST thing HBO wants to do is get back into the business of paying Al Haymon fighters more just because Al Haymon represents them. That was a fiasco with Berto and it certainly had a hand in them cutting ties with GBP all together. The fight with Kov makes sense, but it doesn't make sense for HBO if they have to give Stevenson some insane deal to do it. HBO still does better numbers than Showtime. They aren't going to go back down the Al Haymon rabbit hole

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 22 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #24

Light Heavyweight

I get what your saying but you know as I know there's an reaction to every action. There's only a few ways this is going to go and HBO can accept that or not. They'll still have Sergey

I look at Haymon like this. David Falk is comparable to Haymon. He was Jordans agent, still reps him now I believe. He fought tooth and nail for Mike and his other clients. He became so powerful that the league was seen as Jordan and then Falk. He was a central key in ending the lockout of 98-99. And to this day he gets players who are role players close to max deals.

That's what Haymon does, he takes an avg fighter or even a great one and ups everything about them and around them. This is a powerful man who runs the game much like David Falk does as an agent. His methods of managing and his track record is one of great accomplishment. There is no player Falk can't help just as there is no fighter Haymon can't help. They are battle tested and proven

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 22 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #25

Super Featherweight

It's not like Showtime is waiting to give Adonis extra money. There is nobody for him to fight outside of Hopkins and Showtime as it stands now is maxed out paying everyone that they currently pay. The threat of Showtime isn't much....and that is assuming Stevenson even has the ability to leave HBO right now.

HBO is HBO. They aren't going to give Stevenson an insane contract to fight Kov because they are scared of Al Haymon. They have great businessmen there and they have a number they won't go over.

The bottom line is that I just hope the fight gets made. It would be an explosive battle.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 22 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #26

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 22 2014, 03:03 PM) *
It's not like Showtime is waiting to give Adonis extra money. There is nobody for him to fight outside of Hopkins and Showtime as it stands now is maxed out paying everyone that they currently pay. The threat of Showtime isn't much....and that is assuming Stevenson even has the ability to leave HBO right now.

HBO is HBO. They aren't going to give Stevenson an insane contract to fight Kov because they are scared of Al Haymon. They have great businessmen there and they have a number they won't go over.

The bottom line is that I just hope the fight gets made. It would be an explosive battle.

You don't accumulate the reputation of Haymon and hit have power, I'll leave it at that. We don't know if Showtime is maxed out, I haven't seen anything to support that and I'm not trying to be funny but whose a great businessman at HBO? I know damn well your not talking about Hershman?

I'd rather have Haymon managing my business affairs then anyone at HBO. Hershman is in Greenburg's shadow. When Mayweather went to Showtime and Greenburg went over there it was a wrap. The ratings are in HBO'S favor but the best fights belong to Showtime. Ken Hershman is just small time compared to across Greenbug...it's proof of that in the past and currently

I want to see the fight as well, two action packed fighters going at it. I still don't believe their the best in the division though. Until one or the other beats Hopkins then he's the man

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Feb 22 2014, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Feb 23 2014, 12:35 AM
Post #27

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

black excellence

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 23 2014, 10:53 AM
Post #28

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Feb 22 2014, 11:35 PM) *
black excellence

This is true

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Feb 23 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #29

Super Featherweight

The ratings are with HBO AND they are paying less money. Game over. Long-term I think GBP and HBO need to work it out, but for now HBO is doing good. Ratings=money. If HBO can get bigger ratings while spending less on fights, they win.

I don't know about Hopkins. He clearly was beat by Dawson and since then he beat Cloud and Murat. Mehhh. It may be a matchup thing...Dawson beats Hopkins, Hopkins beats Stevenson, and Stevenson beats Dawson.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 23 2014, 04:44 PM
Post #30

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (KOpower @ Feb 23 2014, 01:16 PM) *
The ratings are with HBO AND they are paying less money. Game over. Long-term I think GBP and HBO need to work it out, but for now HBO is doing good. Ratings=money. If HBO can get bigger ratings while spending less on fights, they win.

I don't know about Hopkins. He clearly was beat by Dawson and since then he beat Cloud and Murat. Mehhh. It may be a matchup thing...Dawson beats Hopkins, Hopkins beats Stevenson, and Stevenson beats Dawson.

If the game was over then Showtime wouldn't be named the network of the year 2yrs in a row. The ratings stuff is skewed by the fact that there are more subscribers with HBO and somehow the gap is still being closed by Showtime. Know why that is? Better cards and better fights are being made across the street. The game has just begun...who enjoyed watching Zou yesterday or Miguel Vasquez boring ass?? I didn't think so.

If Bernard isn't the best at 175 then there ain't no best. It's insulting to say that one guy who just moved up to light heavy and ko'd s fighter who was ko'd by the 2nd best fighters in the business is the king of that division. Then beats Cloud who was already soundly beaten by Bernard. There's no case for Adonis as the king of that weight class then. Kovalev, who the hell did he beat? Campillo? Next...Hopkins been at the upper echelon of that division for quite a while and it's insulting that 2 guys get knockouts now they run the division. That's hype clouding the fans' minds.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:26 PM