> Danny Green vs Antonio Tarver
JLUVBABY
post Apr 12 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #41

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 11 2011, 11:24 PM) *
And I agree Roy's face looked different - and older kinda - in that first fight with Tarver. In the rematch though I thought he looked like himself again.

ali looked in phenominal shape when he fought holmes too... looking in shape and being in shape is two different things... lol....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
True-Boxing-Fan
post Apr 12 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #42

Super Flyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 11 2011, 10:40 PM) *
ali looked in phenominal shape when he fought holmes too... looking in shape and being in shape is two different things... lol....

Ali looked in phenomial shape? Are you kidding me? Ali was begining to show signs of parkinson. Plus during his training for that fight he was getting beat up by his sparring partners and he was slow as hell. You ar right about looking in shape and being in shape are two different things. But ALi did not look like he was in phenomial shape.

This post has been edited by True-Boxing-Fan: Apr 12 2011, 12:00 PM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 12 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #43

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Apr 12 2011, 11:54 AM) *
Ali looked in phenomial shape? Are you kidding me? Ali was begining to show signs of parkinson. Plus during his training for that fight he was getting beat up by his sparring partners and he was slow as hell. You ar right about looking in shape and being in shape are two different things. But ALi did not look like he was in phenomial shape.

ali got himself to the lightest weight he had been in years... im fully aware of his physical condition he was in internally... but his outward appearance looked like that of a man that turned back the clock... he bamboozled a lot of people into thinking he actually had a chance in that fight... thats why i said looking and being is two different things...

+Quote Post
True-Boxing-Fan
post Apr 12 2011, 12:51 PM
Post #44

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 12 2011, 10:36 AM) *
he bamboozled a lot of people into thinking he actually had a chance in that fight... thats why i said looking and being is two different things...

He didn't bamboozle that many people. There were many people fearing for him in that fight with Holmes. I think the only peoplewho believed in him in that fight were Ali and his camp and his camp prolly had some reservation but didnt say anything because he was Ali. But yea being I shape and looking it are two different things Ali may have been his lightest in years at that time but he looked far from from being the Ali we all know

This post has been edited by True-Boxing-Fan: Apr 12 2011, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Apr 12 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #45

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

I do think the weight loss affected Jones in the first Tarver fight, but in the second he looked in very good shape. Like Slim said, he dominated the 1st round and was on his way to winning the 2nd one too. The Johnson fight was just him being in with a strong determined fighter who was conditioned to fight all 12 rounds and take shots all night. In my eyes, the Jones fight was the best performance of Glen's career and it would have taken a prime Jones, who was willing to let his hands go more, to be able to beat him.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 12 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #46

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Apr 12 2011, 12:51 PM) *
He didn't bamboozle that many people. There were many people fearing for him in that fight with Holmes. I think the only peoplewho believed in him in that fight were Ali and his camp and his camp prolly had some reservation but didnt say anything because he was Ali. But yea being I shape and looking it are two different things Ali may have been his lightest in years at that time but he looked far from from being the Ali we all know

i was a kid at the time... i remember the fight tho.... i can vaguely recall people giving ali a shot... just watched a documentary on the fight on espn classic called 30 30 where fans where giving ali a shot in the fight.... there where other fight people that where totally against the fight but a lot of fans gave ali a fare chance in the fight.. there was some good money put on ali on the books... it was a pretty good con job making that fight...

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 12 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #47

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

Riddick Bowe in the Golota rematch is another example. He finally shed those love handles and got down to his lightest weight since the first fight with Evander. But he had nothing left in the tank.

I still say Roy was close to the real Roy when Tarver detonated him however.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 13 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 12 2011, 05:46 PM) *
Riddick Bowe in the Golota rematch is another example. He finally shed those love handles and got down to his lightest weight since the first fight with Evander. But he had nothing left in the tank.

I still say Roy was close to the real Roy when Tarver detonated him however.

I'm probably in the minority (but then I usually am, haha) who would argue that Roy's move to HW was kinda prompted by Tarver rising up the ranks at LHW. That way he killed 2 birds with one stone. Got that elusive HW strap and avoided Tarver except Tarver then punked him at the post fight press conference.

For some reason I think even before moving up Roy just never in his head liked the Tarver fight. I believe sometimes fighters, even the great ones, can get a hoodoo or bad vibe about a certain fight or opponent. Not saying he was scared of him, but I think Tarver was a fight Roy prefrred to miss. And trust me I loathe saying that because I fucken can't stand Tarver.

Just a hunch.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:44 PM