Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chavez to sign with Al Haymon?
KOpower
post Apr 18 2014, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

Those are the rumors. Chavez apparently has less then a year on his contract with Top-Rank so if he signs with Haymon then I would assume he would be used exclusively on Showtime. It sounds like the fight with GGG would be off if he signs with Al.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Apr 18 2014, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,090

bob must be shitting his pants right about now

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 18 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (KOpower @ Apr 18 2014, 10:46 AM) *
Those are the rumors. Chavez apparently has less then a year on his contract with Top-Rank so if he signs with Haymon then I would assume he would be used exclusively on Showtime. It sounds like the fight with GGG would be off if he signs with Al.

Que GGG fans that Jr. is ducking.

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Apr 18 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

I don't know if it is ducking or not, but JCCJR still has half a year and 1 fight left with Arum. The GGG fight is easily the biggest fight he can make....so why rush to sign with Haymon and end any chance of the fight taking place? Why not face GGG, collect the big payday, and THEN sign with Haymon? I'm not sure...

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Apr 18 2014, 01:55 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (KOpower @ Apr 18 2014, 10:14 AM) *
I don't know if it is ducking or not, but JCCJR still has half a year and 1 fight left with Arum. The GGG fight is easily the biggest fight he can make....so why rush to sign with Haymon and end any chance of the fight taking place? Why not face GGG, collect the big payday, and THEN sign with Haymon? I'm not sure...

If fighting GGG means he has to extend his contract with Rob Arum, there won't be a fight.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Apr 18 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 18 2014, 02:55 PM) *
If fighting GGG means he has to extend his contract with Rob Arum, there won't be a fight.

It would be bittersweet if that fight didn't take place. Bitter for obvious reasons. Sweet for the fact that GGG would get a taste of his own medicine. Your team talks all the shit in the world, but then you're too small for 168 Ward but the right size for 168 Chavez.

Too bad Chavez is to big for 160. Imagine Canelo-Chavez in September 2015.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Apr 18 2014, 02:18 PM

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Apr 18 2014, 02:19 PM
Post #7

Lightweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Apr 18 2014, 02:55 PM) *

While I agree, Arum still needs to promote him for 1 more fight. If you know he is gone, why not get the most bang for your buck and cash him out against GGG in a PPV event?

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Apr 18 2014, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

QUOTE (KOpower @ Apr 18 2014, 03:19 PM) *
While I agree, Arum still needs to promote him for 1 more fight. If you know he is gone, why not get the most bang for your buck and cash him out against GGG in a PPV event?

they did that already against Sergio, but he still showed value in a loss

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 18 2014, 06:09 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

What's happening is that Chavez Jr has 9mos left in his TR contract. Which means one more fight, Arum is dangling the Golovkin fight in front of him in hopes of him signing an extension but so far Chavez Jr has not took the bait. Haymon has offered him $47mil to sign with him. Next week JCC Jr and Arum are meeting and initial reports say that he'll resign with TR, but $47mil though? Stay tuned...because this is about to get interesting

Abel Sanchez said the other day the fight is near done, now today he says team Golovkin and HBO are exploring backup options and that Golovkin will still fight on HBO on July 19th with or without Chavez Jr...I hope he does walk away from Arum. This would be the death nail in TR and HBO

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Apr 18 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 18 2014, 07:09 PM) *
What's happening is that Chavez Jr has 9mos left in his TR contract. Which means one more fight, Arum is dangling the Golovkin fight in front of him in hopes of him signing an extension but so far Chavez Jr has not took the bait. Haymon has offered him $47mil to sign with him. Next week JCC Jr and Arum are meeting and initial reports say that he'll resign with TR, but $47mil though? Stay tuned...because this is about to get interesting

Abel Sanchez said the other day the fight is near done, now today he says team Golovkin and HBO are exploring backup options and that Golovkin will still fight on HBO on July 19th with or without Chavez Jr...I hope he does walk away from Arum. This would be the death nail in TR and HBO

Yeah, HBO is seemingly losing everyone to Showtime. I just don't know where Showtime is getting all this money from. HBO easily does better ratings (even though Showtime has better fights) but maybe it is the CBS money? HBO's production is just much better than Showtime's still and Lampley absolutely blows the Showtime guy away. I am all for the best fights being made though and if everyone is with Haymon/GBP then that increases the odds of those fights being made. I think an eventual JCCJR-Stevenson fight would be fun but outside of that I don't see great fights there. HBO still has Kovalev, Ward, Froch, GGG, a Martinez rematch, etc but who knows if they all stay at HBO.

At some point HBO needs to just start throwing some money around. You don't do it for crap fights (like the fight Stevnson has in May) but they should have put together a nice package for Mikey Garcia-Gamboa but they messed up there. Froch-GGG could be a really fun fight. Kovalev-Ward could be a monster fight at 175. Make Pascal a big offer for a fight with Kovalev in the fall. Moves like that (and others) could set HBO up for a nice fall and then you have to start thinking about bringing GBP back in 2015. They are just missing out on too many big fights. HBO can be selective in what they offer GBP fighters. Obviously you don't want to get burned by an Andre Berto situation but throwing money to make a Keith Thurman-Lucas Matt fight is good business. Making a Maidana-Lucas fight would be good business as would Broner-Garcia. Eventually making the Kovalev-Stevenson fight would be huge. Bringing Hopkins in to fight Kovalev would be good. You can do business with GBP but you just have to make the right fights. Freezing GBP out the way they have has obviously been a terrible move for HBO.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 11:46 PM