Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto in driver's seat for big buck$ with Martinez win
Col Reb
post Mar 10 2014, 01:15 PM
Post #31

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,564

I wasn't saying that I'm picking Cotto, but that's not why I started this thread.

What I want to get your opinions on is whom do you think Cotto would fight next if he were to beat Martinez. What direction would he go, given he can work with any promoter and can theoretically get the big money names in the ring.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 10 2014, 01:33 PM
Post #32

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Mar 10 2014, 11:15 AM) *
I wasn't saying that I'm picking Cotto, but that's not why I started this thread.

What I want to get your opinions on is whom do you think Cotto would fight next if he were to beat Martinez. What direction would he go, given he can work with any promoter and can theoretically get the big money names in the ring.

Easy, Canelo.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 10 2014, 01:34 PM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-cotto-ma...rto-rico--75490

Martinez is going to kill Cotto. Scary!!!!

+Quote Post
TheCritics
post Mar 10 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #34

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,114

I disagree that he's in the drivers seat with anything, that 160 trinket is worthless, I for one don't want to see 2 blown up welters fighting for some strap that they won't even defend against anyone else except one another

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 12 2014, 01:57 PM
Post #35

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 10 2014, 02:34 PM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-cotto-ma...rto-rico--75490

Martinez is going to kill Cotto. Scary!!!!

Maaaaan, I saw the pics from Monday...all I can do is shake my head. Styles do make fights, and I'm hoping that Cotto just jumps on him early and stays on him, but this may be a pending death wish for Miguel.

Granted, Martinez is looking his age, maybe because he has to shed a few lbs, but Martinez is in front of the right guy to make him look like the Sergio of 2010 and 2011. Cotto's not gonna lay down, but at this stage of his career and this weight, I take zero pleasure in saying that it will be quite an easy night for Sergio.

Again, Miguel was able to show us a lot of fire in the Mayweather fight, being that he had all of those years to watch him and hone his craft, because he had to know that he was going to fight him one day. The Martinez fight, not so much...this may be another one of the fights "for the fans", but Cotto usually looks like an aging warrior in those fights, because he choose to fight guys with the worst styles...this fight included.

QUOTE (TheCritics @ Mar 10 2014, 02:39 PM) *
I disagree that he's in the drivers seat with anything, that 160 trinket is worthless, I for one don't want to see 2 blown up welters fighting for some strap that they won't even defend against anyone else except one another

Usually, I'd tell a guy who complains about not wanting to see certain fights, to "not watch them" and "spare us the agony of your opinion", but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more. Blown up welterweights fighting at MW, usually consisted of guys are at the end of their career, and they're moving up for bigger paydays (on their terms).

However, some of these divisions still need these stars (from their prior respective divisions) to add some light to the division. It puts me in the mind of guys like Morales, who shouldn't have fought anywhere past 130 lbs, but he came back at 140 (I believe he fought a couple of unknown cab drivers at 147, but I'm not sure)...he gave the division a breath of life, or a twist, so to speak.

We all remember how promising the 140 lbs division was back from '09-'11, but guys were either moving up to 47, or not fighting the top guys at 140...so he came back and gave it a pretty good run, before he fizzled out. Same with the 168 division, if Sergio moves up there, he can at least give us a few good fights before he calls it a day. If somebody looking for a big break obliterates him, then they could at least build their brand from there.

It's a cycle, but yeah, I get you...people get tired of seeing guys who blown up 2 divisions higher than they're supposed to be, trying to make an easy run in the division. Lol

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Mar 12 2014, 02:38 PM
Post #36

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 12 2014, 01:57 PM) *
Maaaaan, I saw the pics from Monday...all I can do is shake my head. Styles do make fights, and I'm hoping that Cotto just jumps on him early and stays on him, but this may be a pending death wish for Miguel.

Granted, Martinez is looking his age, maybe because he has to shed a few lbs, but Martinez is in front of the right guy to make him look like the Sergio of 2010 and 2011. Cotto's not gonna lay down, but at this stage of his career and this weight, I take zero pleasure in saying that it will be quite an easy night for Sergio.

Again, Miguel was able to show us a lot of fire in the Mayweather fight, being that he had all of those years to watch him and hone his craft, because he had to know that he was going to fight him one day. The Martinez fight, not so much...this may be another one of the fights "for the fans", but Cotto usually looks like an aging warrior in those fights, because he choose to fight guys with the worst styles...this fight included.

Usually, I'd tell a guy who complains about not wanting to see certain fights, to "not watch them" and "spare us the agony of your opinion", but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more. Blown up welterweights fighting at MW, usually consisted of guys are at the end of their career, and they're moving up for bigger paydays (on their terms).

However, some of these divisions still need these stars (from their prior respective divisions) to add some light to the division. It puts me in the mind of guys like Morales, who shouldn't have fought anywhere past 130 lbs, but he came back at 140 (I believe he fought a couple of unknown cab drivers at 147, but I'm not sure)...he gave the division a breath of life, or a twist, so to speak.

We all remember how promising the 140 lbs division was back from '09-'11, but guys were either moving up to 47, or not fighting the top guys at 140...so he came back and gave it a pretty good run, before he fizzled out. Same with the 168 division, if Sergio moves up there, he can at least give us a few good fights before he calls it a day. If somebody looking for a big break obliterates him, then they could at least build their brand from there.

It's a cycle, but yeah, I get you...people get tired of seeing guys who blown up 2 divisions higher than they're supposed to be, trying to make an easy run in the division. Lol

Morales came back fighting! He may not have won em all/or in spectacular fashion but to his credit. Did better than karass Lopez & broner against maidana. Did better than Shane and Pauline against Cano (which he stopped). And in the first Garcia fight looked better than zab and Lucas and Khan. For being past his prime he handled himself fairly well. If he had a strength coach and some type of dietary guidance he might have looked alot better. Instead of struggling to make weight and fighting off of pure instinct, I guess he was to arrogant or cheap for that type of help i guess. Probably could have came back at 130 matter of fact. Imagine if he had memo for the 3 pac fights lol. Yea 140 was stacked at that time alot of people have fizzled out or moved up since then.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 01:15 AM