IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alverez, Reply in New Pin Up Thread and Vote in Poll!
checkleft
post Apr 25 2013, 12:14 AM
Post #71

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 24 2013, 10:05 PM) *
i'm sorry...i cannot take a writer/journalist/hack seriously when they cover more than one sport. if boxing is your thing...stick to it. if mma is your thing...stick to it. hell...even the guys who are the so called experts still don't know what the hell they're talking about.

who the hell is jon jones? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I saw that article, it was titled who is the greatest and it had a picture of Ali and tyson as the front page for the link. When I clicked on it and saw a picture of Jon Jones I immediately clicked out knowing that shit wasn't worth my time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 25 2013, 12:16 AM
Post #72

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 09:48 PM) *
The Margarito fight was offered right after the Judah fight. I almost want to say that Arum mentioned it in the post fight of Mayweather/Judah. He secured a date too in July of that year. It was around July 2006, Mayweather claimed he had some hand or shoulder injury and eventually paid Arum to get out of his contract that summer all while saying Margarito would be easy work. If he was easy work, then he would have fought him and beat him. DLH would have still been there had he made easy work of Margarito. In fact perhaps Floyd's asking price in the DLH fight could have gone up after beating Margrito. DLH wanted none of Margarito either. Anyway, Mayweather ended up making easy work of Baldomir, which was a much easier fight, while waiting for DLH.

I still don't see how he ducked Margarito, how can you blame someone for wanting to control their own career? It's 2 types of people in the world sellers and buyers. You can't be the man under somebody's thumb, and it's clear that Floyd wanted that. It's obvious in light of what's happened over the course of their split that it was more to it then what they initially put out there. Why would he continue to fight for the guy when it was clear he didn't want to be there anymore? I think he made the right decision, but I'd do wish the fight would've happened as I think Mayweather would've worked Margarito over pretty good

Don't remember the fight being offered after the Judah fight, I''ll have to research it. But if like you said a July date was secured, if my memory serves me correct then Mayweather brought his contract out way before that date

+Quote Post
JammyJam
post Apr 25 2013, 04:10 AM
Post #73

Amateur

Member No.: 13,561

Quick Google search answers our questions
sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2420382

1. So Mayweather is offered the Margarito fight two weeks after his Judah fight in April. Decides to hold off because he wants to see the outcome of De La Hoya- Vargas. De La Hoya was his most lucrative bout and biggest fight.

2. Mayweather bought himself out from Bob because Bob was NEVER going to allow him to fight Oscar and refused to give him 10 mill guarantees to fight Hatton and Cotto (there goes the theory he ducked Cotto)

3. We later find out he fights lineal champ Baldomir instead for $1 extra.

In my opinion Floyd was just trying to cash out. You could take the higher risk that adds no value and fight Marg or take the lower risk for equal value and guarantee yourself a shot at De La Hoya.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 25 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #74

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 24 2013, 08:34 PM) *
Cmon please stop disrespecting Mayweather by saying he ducked Paul Williams. I mean no doubt Paul williams was a beast, but cmon, this is the same Paul williams that lost to Quintana. I give credit to him for sitting there and taking shots from sergio martinez, all it did was break him down more. Mayweather still would have outboxed williams and made him look like N'dou and Corrales. The same Paul Williams that got the brakes beat off of him against Lara? nahhh he would've just showed how effective mayweather's defense was.

Good point. I always tend to forget about that Quintana loss. Lol

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 24 2013, 10:02 PM) *
It will always be some who choose to belittle, scrutinize and downplay a fighter's record. Hell, I read an article today that Iole did that says that Tyson and Ali are not great fighters compared to Jon Jones. I call bullshit on that but that's another story

I guess everybody's snorting that Bolivian Marching Powder nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

PS: Jon Jones is great MMA fighter

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 25 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #75

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2013, 09:53 AM) *
Good point. I always tend to forget about that Quintana loss. Lol

I guess everybody's snorting that Bolivian Marching Powder nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

PS: Jon Jones is great MMA fighter

Yeah Jones is a great MMA fighter and he got the potential to be an ATG, but that's in MMA not Boxing. I don't know why people keep forgetting this crucial aspect

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 25 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #76

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 26 2013, 12:26 AM) *
Yeah Jones is a great MMA fighter and he got the potential to be an ATG, but that's in MMA not Boxing. I don't know why people keep forgetting this crucial aspect

They get these two important words mixed up, boxer and fighter. In my personal opinion anyway

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 25 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #77

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 25 2013, 01:14 AM) *
I saw that article, it was titled who is the greatest and it had a picture of Ali and tyson as the front page for the link. When I clicked on it and saw a picture of Jon Jones I immediately clicked out knowing that shit wasn't worth my time.

it's been a long time since i've read any of his shit. he should stick to mma.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 25 2013, 08:43 PM
Post #78

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *

atg in a sport that is a decade old = no big deal

atg in a sport that has been around for centuries = big deal

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 25 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #79

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 25 2013, 07:26 PM) *

Right.

You know how that goes Chi, "stans" (stupid fans) wont allow facts to get in the way of their aimless conquest to wherever the f*ck they're trying to drive their point. LOL

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 25 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #80

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

I like what James Toney said about what's wrong with MMA, how they try so hard to be like/replace boxing that they don't live up to the same kind of legacy. Boxing is legendary, you got fighters who are called ATGs after their time is up and their legacy is reviewed, but in MMA dudes is just getting in high role, and they already calling them ATGs. Look at what they did to Chuck Liddell, at one point he was at the top, they was saying he was a great, then when he fell off, what happened to his ATG great status? They're playing boys short in MMA.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:20 PM