> James Toney to fight in the UFC
AussieLad
post Jan 2 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content6617...0a098b41aaa51a2

Toney is crazy. He will get his @ss handed to him on a platter.

In a boxing match, there will be few fighters in MMA capable of hanging with him. But in an MMA match, he gets taken down and eaten alive, or leg kicked to death.

Crazy.

And shannon briggs going to MMA. If his cardio was the death of him in boxing, MMA will be the nail in the coffin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jan 2 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #2

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Aussielad......Boxing requires more true talent than ground game and your crazy if you think anyone of those chumps in the Heavyweight division in UFC can hang with Toney. They would be BUMS in Boxing...

With that said, Toney is out of shape and would probably get taken down by pussies like Brock Lesnar who have something like 70 pounds on an already out of shape and old Toney..

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Jan 2 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

Well, it says he wants to fight a light heavy, Chuck Lidell. I can understand that, he thinks he has the best chance vs Chuck because chuck likes to bang. Of course the problem there is that Chuck actually has decent kicks when he decides to use them, and he can wrestle. If uses those skills, Toney is a dead man walking. But if chuck stands and bangs with hands, toney has a great chance because chucks chin and defence are weak

Toney has zero chance vs Randy, even though randy was a tiny heavyweight and has dropped down a division. Its not like he's targeting the big boys of the heavyweight division. Toney will get mauled against the cage with dirty boxing, then ground and pounded into oblivion

Then he mentions fighting Kimbo... WOW... sure taking on the elite there.... again, because he thinks kimbo will bang with him. But, everyone needs a warm up, so kimbo may be the best option. Of course, Kimbo can and has taken down fighters in the past, ala Mercer. I can see even that limited sreet thug ground n pounding toneys true talent... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But toney will give him a boxing lesson for a few minutes before the take down happens

And as for the true talent baloney, cant even be bothered arguing that garbage. Cant fight ignorance

But i certainly hope Toney fights in the UFC against one of these guys. Will be great for a laugh. As i said, toney has sweet boxing skills, but this is a very different ball game

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jan 5 2010, 04:28 AM
Post #4

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 2 2010, 08:42 PM) *
Aussielad......Boxing requires more true talent than ground game and your crazy if you think anyone of those chumps in the Heavyweight division in UFC can hang with Toney. They would be BUMS in Boxing...

With that said, Toney is out of shape and would probably get taken down by pussies like Brock Lesnar who have something like 70 pounds on an already out of shape and old Toney..

I'm with you BigG..No one in the UFC would even be aloud in a boxing ring with Toney..

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Jan 6 2010, 01:39 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

First off, to hell with all the "true talent" bullshit. You don't fucking luck your way into a go-go plata. It takes true talent to compete at a high level of ANY sport or quasi-sport. Boxers couldn't go into NASCAR and compete anymore than NASCAR drivers could go into boxing. That being said...

1.) I love James Toney, and feel confident in saying he would KO any MMA fighter in the world today in a 12 round boxing match. I don't think there is one MMA fighter who could even go the distance with Toney.

2.) I love James Toney. Again, one of my all-time favorites. But he doesn't make it out of the 1st round with any legit MMA fighter, assuming they fight like an MMA fighter and not a boxer. Which, of course, there is no guaranatee for, since, as we know, fighters are occassionally "politely asked" to defer their ground-games in favor of a stand-up war when highly-marketable, quasi-skilled athletes/celebrities are their opponent. (Kimbo Slice, Cung Le.)

+Quote Post
TheWhiteBuffalo
post Jan 6 2010, 06:04 AM
Post #6

All Hail The Buffalo

Member No.: 2,298

I don't even waste any time pondering how well James would do.

All I know, is that any MMA fight with "Lights Out" will make me tune in and order the PPV. If nothing else, it does bring the excitement that these type of crossover fights bring. We can all sit back and watch the inevitable unfold.

+Quote Post
Megadeth
post Jan 7 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Flyweight

Member No.: 1,986

QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 6 2010, 01:39 AM) *
First off, to hell with all the "true talent" bullshit. You don't fucking luck your way into a go-go plata. It takes true talent to compete at a high level of ANY sport or quasi-sport. Boxers couldn't go into NASCAR and compete anymore than NASCAR drivers could go into boxing. That being said...

1.) I love James Toney, and feel confident in saying he would KO any MMA fighter in the world today in a 12 round boxing match. I don't think there is one MMA fighter who could even go the distance with Toney.

2.) I love James Toney. Again, one of my all-time favorites. But he doesn't make it out of the 1st round with any legit MMA fighter, assuming they fight like an MMA fighter and not a boxer. Which, of course, there is no guaranatee for, since, as we know, fighters are occassionally "politely asked" to defer their ground-games in favor of a stand-up war when highly-marketable, quasi-skilled athletes/celebrities are their opponent. (Kimbo Slice, Cung Le.)

I agree 100%. This is the problem with the UFC forum here, to many people dont really respect the sport. Boxing has been my first love as a sport for the past 20 years. MMA is right behind. MMA I can watch all the time because almost all the matches are great, but I cant really get excited for all the boxing matches. There are really a handful of GREAT boxing matches throughout the year.

Anyway...About respecting the sport of MMA. Yes, MMA fighters are not as good at boxing as a professional boxer. They dont spend their whole training camp boxing. MMA fighters have to know how to box, kickbox, wrestle, take down, jiu-jitsu, etc. And they have to know the offense and defense of both of these.

I can pretty much guarantee that MMA fighters train harder and more often then boxers. MMA fighters are probably in the gym training all year round honing their skills in the many different forms of martial arts necessary to compete in their sport. They dont just stay in shape then train during training camp like most boxers do. I am not saying that all boxers train this way, but the majority of them do.

I am 31 years old, I started taking Korean Karate classes when I was 11. My teacher has traveled the world learning many different forms of martial arts. My style was influenced by Korean Karate, Boxing, Kickboxing, Savate (French Kickboxing) Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I have also trained with some BJJ greats (Rigan Machado, Francisco Mansor and others). This is the perfect circle in order to defend yourself in all types of street fighting situations. You never know if you are going to trip and fall in a fight, or get taken to the ground, you have to be prepared for everything. That is why I love MMA, it is in my opinion the perfect circle.

A boxer like James Toney is great, one of the best boxers of all time. Personally one of my favorite since I love the sweet science rather than just thugs in the ring. Watching RJJ in his prime was great. Fighters like Bernard Hopkins and James Toney just amaze me with their defensive wizardry. I love watching the clip of James Toney sticking his tounge out at evander while he is punching at him. Even though that is disrespectful to evander, it just shows how great toney is at rolling and moving in the ring.

To think that James Toney can just walk into the Octagan, into another mans sport and dominate is crazy talk. These guys have been training for years at this. Now maybe James has other skills we dont know about, he talks about his dad fighting in some form of MMA, so maybe he does know more than just boxing. But if he plans on just learning it now, I dont expect him to compete to well in MMA. Yeah, he could box circles around everyone, but this isnt boxing. What is gonna happen when someone starts kicking his legs, or throwing head kicks. What is gonna happen when they shoot in and take him to the ground. That boxing isnt going to do him any good when he is laying on his back. Not if..But when he gets taken to the ground he will be tapped out in a matter of seconds.

And to think James Toney wants to with the UFC heavyweight title, that is ludicris. Could you see him in the ring with a Brock Lesnar or Frank Mir, C'mon.

What I dont understand is why James wants to fight in the UFC to begin with. He isn't going to get the type of money he can get in the the boxing ring, so why is he going to do it? That is my question.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Jan 7 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #8

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

I would love to see Toney choked until he is totally unconcious or have his arm broken. Then again seeing him take 30 or 40 hard leg kicks before that happening would make me happier.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Jan 8 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Its not like the fat bastard will be able to dance and dodge his way round the ring. He will throw, miss, and clinch to get his breath back, at which time he will get hit with knees, elbows and possibly a kitchen sink. Long story short, if he doesnt KO someone with his first punch, he will be hurt.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Jan 9 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 8 2010, 10:00 AM) *
Its not like the fat bastard will be able to dance and dodge his way round the ring. He will throw, miss, and clinch to get his breath back, at which time he will get hit with knees, elbows and possibly a kitchen sink. Long story short, if he doesnt KO someone with his first punch, he will be hurt.

As fat as he is he never fights like that. Like him or not Toney knows how to fight tired.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 01:17 AM