IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Q&A Floyd Mayweather Tells It Like It Is (Spoof Interview)
Vodoo
post Oct 14 2009, 03:51 AM
Post #1

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,289

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlin...oof-interview/

Q&A Floyd Mayweather Tells It Like It Is (Spoof Interview)
Published by Scoop Malinowski on October 12th, 2009

Floyd Mayweather doesn’t tell it like it is, but what if he really did one day decide to tell the truth about how he manages his career and dodges the top prime welterweights? Here’s how we envision that interview might go with Flashy Floyd…

Q: Floyd, will we ever see you in a welterweight tournament with Pacquaio, Cotto, Williams, Mosley?

Floyd Mayweather: “No. I’m not sure I can beat any of them, to be honest. I have too much to lose. We have reality shows, endorsement deals in the works, and it’s all contingent on me keeping my 0. It’s just like when they tried to make me fight Margarito for $10 million. I knew if Margarito and his relentless physical pressure knocked me out, I would never get the $25 million for De La Hoya. The big picture is what made me duck Margarito. Now the big picture is reality shows, endorsements and becoming a household name. If I get knocked out by Pacquaio, Mosley or Cotto, I’ll be getting $2 million a fight.”

Q: You said earlier this year you would fight Mosley for $20 million guaranteed.

Floyd Mayweather: “That was just a bluff. I knew Golden Boy wouldn’t pay that. Listen, it’s better to keep fighting handpicks for an automatic $10 to 15 million a pop than take $20 million and get knocked out. Once I lose we lose all leverage. It’s all about keeping the revenue stream flowing.”

Q: Who is on your handpick list for 2010?

Floyd Mayweather: “Well we might be able to steal another tune up for December, if my team can persuade HBO to buy another garbage fight. Cory Spinks is someone we’re looking at. Maybe Collazo. Quintana. Chris John. They’re all safe. We’re trying to find someone like Henry Bruseles. I really want rematches with Hatton, Zab and the big one is luring Oscar out of retirement. Calderon is also on our radar.”

Q: What about boxing fans who want to see you face the best? Super-fights not garbage fights.

Floyd Mayweather: “Screw the fans. It’s all about manufacturing me into a household name. I’ll retire from boxing again before I let boxing retire me, and Cotto, Pacquiao and Mosley could all knock me out. Don’t even mention the name Paul Williams. Al Haymon can talk HBO and Richard Shaeffer into buying me handpicked fights for premium dollars. Boxing fans are stupid. They’ll pay for garbage. As long as you manufacture it and package it and sell it as star power. It’s all about branding and marketing and making smart business decision. To move me up levels.”

Q: Does Al Haymon ever push you to fight Cotto, Pacquiao or Mosley? Those fights would be huge revenue generators.

Floyd Mayweather: “No. He knows it’s too risky. I could get knocked out and my value as an asset will depreciate significantly. I know how this business works. Look at Jermain Taylor. Al learned when Taylor got beat by Pavlik twice. He knows he should have had Taylor fake retire or vacate or duck Pavlik. But Jermain Taylor is a true warrior. Those losses ruined Taylor as a viable asset. Just like Margarito would have ruined me. I fake retired last year to duck the Cotto-Margarito winner AND Paul Williams at 147. When Margarito won and got caught and then Williams moved up to 154, it was safe to come out of hiding. Now everyone wants to see me and Mosley. I know how to duck Mosley. I won’t fight Mosley, it’s too risky and there’s too much to lose.”

Q: You call HBO your family.

Floyd Mayweather: “I love HBO like family. They did everything for me. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for HBO. If Margarito knocked me out I’d be on ESPN now. I just hope HBO will continue to let me handpick the opponents I want to fight. I hope HBO does not wake up and tell Al that I have to face the Cotto-Pacquiao winner. If they put the vice on us and tell us to take 50-50 I’ll just fake retire again or pretend to go to UFC. And all the money HBO invested in me will go to waste. See, me and Al got em where we want em.”

Q: What’s your legacy?

Floyd Maywather: “I’m a very good fighter who has had the luxury to handpick every single one of my opponents from day one. I’m a bully who picks his fights with smaller older slower disadvantaged overmatched opponents. Unlike great champions like Bernard Hopkins or Evander Holyfield or Lennox Lewis or Oscar De La Hoya, I was matched strategically my entire career. When Bob Arum tried to force me to fight Margarito, I left. See, I could have been a Michael Grant. Golota and Lewis ruined his career. I could have been a David Reid. Trinidad ruined him. Casamayor, Freitas, Margarito and Kostya Tszyu all could have ruined my career. But I have the best team in boxing and they protected me. They know and I know I have the Mayweather chin. Now they continue to protect me from having to fight Mosley. I’m pretty sure they will protect me from having to fight Cotto and Pacquiao. You want to know the truth? I couldn’t carry Sugar Ray Leonard’s jockstrap. Duran would have beat the shit out of me. Hearns would have knocked me the **** out. That’s the truth. But the perception is different. My skills never had to deal with beasts like a prime Cotto, Pacquiao, Duran, Leonard or Hearns. It’s all about smart business decision, ducking and dodging, marketing. $20 million for WWE. Dancing with the Stars. Fighting in UFC. That was all BS. As long as I keep handpicking the right opponents and HBO keep packaging me as a superstar, boxing fans will never know I’m a fraud. I love HBO.”

Q: Where do you go from here?

Floyd Mayweather: “First, we’re in the process of reinventing my image. It used to be about Money and street cred and trying to be a gangster, but that image didn’t work to well. It only put me in a hole with the IRS. Now I’m using our talking points like spending time with my family and kids, cleaning up my image for endorsements and mass appeal. It’s all about being a chameleon and creating a public image and brand that will sell. We’ve only just begun. I own Las Vegas. Next I’m gonna take over LA, NY, DC. I own boxing. If we get the Hatton rematch I’ll take over England. I want to be bigger than Tiger Woods, bigger then the Manning brothers, bigger than Kobe and LeBron, bigger than Shaq, Tyson, Federer, bigger than Obama. We’re just using boxing as our platform for bigger things, for reality shows, corporate endorsements, record labels and movies. We’re just using HBO and Golden Boy to get to higher levels. I want to be one of the most famous athlete entertainers on earth. I want to be the face of sports. I can’t get there if I get knocked out by Cotto, Pacquiao or Mosley or Paul Williams. The game would be over. They are too risky. I don’t care what the fans want or the powers that be want.”

Q: Best of luck to you. Thanks for the candid sincerity. Just do us one favor – get in there with Pacquiao or Cotto, boxing really needs to see a super fight like that now, the sport needs it.

Floyd Mayweather: “Thank you and you’re welcome. I will think about it. Hey I appreciate you as a reporter telling it like it is. But this is my career, my health, I want to have all my faculties in 10, 20 years. There are big plans for me. I want to be a superstar. The face of boxing. Boxing needs an American superstar. I will fill that void.”

Note: This fictional spoof interview by Scoop Malinowski with Floyd Mayweather never actually happened.

Scoop’s first book “Heavyweight Armageddon: The Tyson-Lewis Championship Battle” was called “A smashing success, one of the two best boxing books I ever read,” by Emanuel Steward.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Oct 14 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

QUOTE (Vodoo @ Oct 14 2009, 03:51 AM) *

Floyd Mayweather doesn’t tell it like it is, but what if he really did one day decide to tell the truth about how he manages his career and dodges the top prime welterweights? Here’s how we envision that interview might go with Flashy Floyd…

Q: Floyd, will we ever see you in a welterweight tournament with Pacquaio, Cotto, Williams, Mosley?

Floyd Mayweather: “No. I’m not sure I can beat any of them, to be honest. I have too much to lose. We have reality shows, endorsement deals in the works, and it’s all contingent on me keeping my 0. It’s just like when they tried to make me fight Margarito for $10 million. I knew if Margarito and his relentless physical pressure knocked me out, I would never get the $25 million for De La Hoya. The big picture is what made me duck Margarito. Now the big picture is reality shows, endorsements and becoming a household name. If I get knocked out by Pacquaio, Mosley or Cotto, I’ll be getting $2 million a fight.”

Q: You said earlier this year you would fight Mosley for $20 million guaranteed.

Floyd Mayweather: “That was just a bluff. I knew Golden Boy wouldn’t pay that. Listen, it’s better to keep fighting handpicks for an automatic $10 to 15 million a pop than take $20 million and get knocked out. Once I lose we lose all leverage. It’s all about keeping the revenue stream flowing.”

Floyd Mayweather: “Well we might be able to steal another tune up for December, if my team can persuade HBO to buy another garbage fight. Cory Spinks is someone we’re looking at. Maybe Collazo. Quintana. Chris John. They’re all safe. We’re trying to find someone like Henry Bruseles. I really want rematches with Hatton, Zab and the big one is luring Oscar out of retirement. Calderon is also on our radar.”

Q: What about boxing fans who want to see you face the best? Super-fights not garbage fights.

Floyd Mayweather: “Screw the fans. It’s all about manufacturing me into a household name. I’ll retire from boxing again before I let boxing retire me, and Cotto, Pacquiao and Mosley could all knock me out. Don’t even mention the name Paul Williams. Al Haymon can talk HBO and Richard Shaeffer into buying me handpicked fights for premium dollars. Boxing fans are stupid. They’ll pay for garbage. As long as you manufacture it and package it and sell it as star power. It’s all about branding and marketing and making smart business decision. To move me up levels.”

Q: Does Al Haymon ever push you to fight Cotto, Pacquiao or Mosley? Those fights would be huge revenue generators.

Floyd Mayweather: “No. He knows it’s too risky. I could get knocked out and my value as an asset will depreciate significantly. I know how this business works. Look at Jermain Taylor. Al learned when Taylor got beat by Pavlik twice. He knows he should have had Taylor fake retire or vacate or duck Pavlik. But Jermain Taylor is a true warrior. Those losses ruined Taylor as a viable asset. Just like Margarito would have ruined me. I fake retired last year to duck the Cotto-Margarito winner AND Paul Williams at 147. When Margarito won and got caught and then Williams moved up to 154, it was safe to come out of hiding. Now everyone wants to see me and Mosley. I know how to duck Mosley. I won’t fight Mosley, it’s too risky and there’s too much to lose.”

Floyd Mayweather: “I love HBO like family. They did everything for me. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for HBO. If Margarito knocked me out I’d be on ESPN now. I just hope HBO will continue to let me handpick the opponents I want to fight. I hope HBO does not wake up and tell Al that I have to face the Cotto-Pacquiao winner. If they put the vice on us and tell us to take 50-50 I’ll just fake retire again or pretend to go to UFC. And all the money HBO invested in me will go to waste. See, me and Al got em where we want em.”

Floyd Maywather: “I’m a very good fighter who has had the luxury to handpick every single one of my opponents from day one. I’m a bully who picks his fights with smaller older slower disadvantaged overmatched opponents. Unlike great champions like Bernard Hopkins or Evander Holyfield or Lennox Lewis or Oscar De La Hoya, I was matched strategically my entire career. When Bob Arum tried to force me to fight Margarito, I left. See, I could have been a Michael Grant. Golota and Lewis ruined his career. I could have been a David Reid. Trinidad ruined him. Casamayor, Freitas, Margarito and Kostya Tszyu all could have ruined my career. But I have the best team in boxing and they protected me. They know and I know I have the Mayweather chin. Now they continue to protect me from having to fight Mosley. I’m pretty sure they will protect me from having to fight Cotto and Pacquiao. You want to know the truth? I couldn’t carry Sugar Ray Leonard’s jockstrap. Duran would have beat the shit out of me. Hearns would have knocked me the **** out. That’s the truth. But the perception is different. My skills never had to deal with beasts like a prime Cotto, Pacquiao, Duran, Leonard or Hearns. It’s all about smart business decision, ducking and dodging, marketing. $20 million for WWE. Dancing with the Stars. Fighting in UFC. That was all BS. As long as I keep handpicking the right opponents and HBO keep packaging me as a superstar, boxing fans will never know I’m a fraud. I love HBO.”

Floyd Mayweather: “First, we’re in the process of reinventing my image. It used to be about Money and street cred and trying to be a gangster, but that image didn’t work to well. It only put me in a hole with the IRS. Now I’m using our talking points like spending time with my family and kids, cleaning up my image for endorsements and mass appeal. It’s all about being a chameleon and creating a public image and brand that will sell. We’ve only just begun. I own Las Vegas. Next I’m gonna take over LA, NY, DC. I own boxing. If we get the Hatton rematch I’ll take over England. I want to be bigger than Tiger Woods, bigger then the Manning brothers, bigger than Kobe and LeBron, bigger than Shaq, Tyson, Federer, bigger than Obama. We’re just using boxing as our platform for bigger things, for reality shows, corporate endorsements, record labels and movies. We’re just using HBO and Golden Boy to get to higher levels. I want to be one of the most famous athlete entertainers on earth. I want to be the face of sports. I can’t get there if I get knocked out by Cotto, Pacquiao or Mosley or Paul Williams. The game would be over. They are too risky. I don’t care what the fans want or the powers that be want.”

Q: Best of luck to you. Thanks for the candid sincerity. Just do us one favor – get in there with Pacquiao or Cotto, boxing really needs to see a super fight like that now, the sport needs it.

Floyd Mayweather: “Thank you and you’re welcome. I will think about it. Hey I appreciate you as a reporter telling it like it is. But this is my career, my health, I want to have all my faculties in 10, 20 years. There are big plans for me. I want to be a superstar. The face of boxing. Boxing needs an American superstar. I will fill that void.”

Note: This fictional spoof interview by Scoop Malinowski with Floyd Mayweather never actually happened.

Scoop’s first book “Heavyweight Armageddon: The Tyson-Lewis Championship Battle” was called “A smashing success, one of the two best boxing books I ever read,” by Emanuel Steward.

Classic!!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Oct 14 2009, 12:58 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Vodoo @ Oct 14 2009, 03:51 AM) *

LMFAO!!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Jack

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Oct 14 2009, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,443

Nice one!! Funny as!!

+Quote Post
navyhugh
post Oct 14 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #5

Amateur

Member No.: 10,586

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:58 PM) *
LMFAO!!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Jack

It so funny to me that you are very biased and hating agianst Mayweather but you actually have the time to write about him. What you dumb fucks like yourself dont realize is is that all Mayweather's actions are entertainment to sale his name. You haters are putting more money in his pocket than his fan base. Stupid hating ass cocksucker.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Oct 14 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #6

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 10:27 PM) *
Awesome first post my man. I hope to hear more from you.

Yes. High caliber posting we got here.

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Oct 14 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,222

who would take the time out of their busy life to write all of that shit about someone they never even met?

seriously? this isnt even a laughing matter, do they have a job? girlfriend? kids? etc?

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Oct 14 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #8

Bantamweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 07:11 PM) *
Nice timing.

whatever do you mean?

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Oct 14 2009, 06:27 PM
Post #9

Bantamweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 07:18 PM) *
How are you anyways kingknockout? Enjoying your day so far?

not so good, one of my fellow classmates has passed away...but i'll be okay.

yours?

and if you think im a floyd stan, i cant argue with you.....but also know that im a mosley, judah, williams, and Vargas stan also lol

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Oct 14 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #10

Bantamweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Oct 14 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Well it's just starting, but appears to be better than your day so far. I'm sorry about your loss. What are you studying?

its okay, im going for nursing

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 01:14 PM