IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10:30(ET)/7:30(PT):Chavez Jr.-Manfredo (SPOILERS 45 Mins. Later), No New Spoilers, Duplicate Threads, or Public Streams
Jack 1000
post Nov 20 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #41

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I feel like all of the announcers are told by the hbo producers to blow smoke up the cashcow's ass.

Very true at HBO. I think less true with Merchant. I think Lamply is the worst at cheerleading. However, when a fight is thrilling to watch, he is the best commentator. Kudos to Jim for at least trying to make ordinary fights sound exciting, but his epitaph is likely to read, "I never met an HBO and/or Olympian contracted fighter I wasn't forced to like." The question is, who is forcing the pom-poming of the HBO team?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 20 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #42

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 20 2011, 01:04 PM) *
(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/1317945799475.jpg)

Chavez actually showed us something different last night, and he does have somewhat of a chance to get to the big names, in terms of giving them a hard time. The downside of it is, those guys (especially Martinez) wont just stand right in front of him like Manfredo did...so he will have his hands full. I was waiting for some sidesteps and better head movement from Manfredo, but not all dreams come true (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

As far as the announcers...they all have the "domino effect man-crush syndrome" ...it doesn't matter who the fighter is. Steward is the worst when asked about Pacquiao...he always has that cheesey little grin on his face before he answers the question...highly suspect. Lampley will call another man handsome in a minute, so I dont even get surprised anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Oh yeah, Lederman's card means dick...just another victim of a "man-crush misshap" when he scores fights.

I'd pick Kellerman any day over Merchant's whisky-driven, backwards-ass, head-scratching analogies that no one ever seems to understand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I must admit though, the HBO staff line-up wouldn't be the same without him though.

Same here, Merchant's a moron. Just because he's old and has watched more boxing than I have doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what he's talking about. The sooner he retires the better. Kellerman was a good addition to the commentators. He isn't perfect, but at least he isn't so full of himself that he doesn't bother to consider whether what he's saying is objective or not. I also agree that as soon as Chavez is put in the ring with someone who can move intelligently (this includes having good D) and put some punches together we'll see exactly what JCC Jr. is made of and I'm betting it isn't that much.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Nov 20 2011, 05:26 PM

+Quote Post
thisneverworks
post Nov 20 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #43

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 20 2011, 05:23 PM) *
Same here, Merchant's a moron. Just because he's old and has watched more boxing than I have doesn't necessarily mean that he knows what he's talking about. The sooner he retires the better. Kellerman was a good addition to the commentators. He isn't perfect, but at least he isn't so full of himself that he doesn't bother to consider whether what he's saying is objective or not.

I am in no way saying that Merchant is the litmus test for announcers at this point. I think Larry should retire as his days have passed.

I can't even fathom, however, how anybody could possibly stomach Kellerman. Kellerman's best role in my opinion is sitting high above the ring doing pre- and post- fight analysis, interviews, and such (think ESPN2). As an announcer he offers no intelligent insight and seems to only being interested in creating a "character" than actually improving.

FWIW, I joined some of my other friends and cancelled HBO today.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 20 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #44

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Nov 20 2011, 01:10 PM) *
I keep having this feeling that Chavez is way too big for 160 lbs. Of course, he's young and can cut the weight but it seems like he re-hydrates like a motherfucker. They did the same thing with De La Hoya when he turned pro, to give these young guys a natural advantage against smaller guys.

I hear ya Max...that 180 just doesn't sit right with me. He looked better in this fight because he was alreasy in shape for his previously scheduled bout against Hearns that ended up getting called off. I cant rememeber how long it had been between fights when he fought Zbik, but he didn't look as comfortable carrying that 180 lbs around. He wont be that comfotable in there with Martinez because he will be forced to move more than he's used to. I dont see Sergio knocking him out because the guy comes in there at 180, but he will have to work a lot hard against Sergio.

QUOTE (thisneverworks @ Nov 20 2011, 08:39 PM) *
FWIW, I joined some of my other friends and cancelled HBO today.

You'll soon regret it...

+Quote Post
Genius
post Nov 21 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #45

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Nov 20 2011, 07:24 AM) *
What was up with Kellerman and Jones calling Chavez Sr., daddy? Usually you would say Jr.'s father, his dad, but daddy, really weird to me. I don't think I ever called someone else's parent mommy or daddy. It is weird.

Jones likes the Jr. fights? And when did looks matter in boxing? Kellerman, Papa, and Jones kept saying what a good looking kid Jr. is. Really strange.
Gays exist everywhere bud.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Nov 21 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #46

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (Genius @ Nov 21 2011, 01:00 AM) *
Gays exist everywhere bud.

I don't know if I would call them gay (we had a topic about openly gay boxers) but just really strange. When Candice Parker and Maya Moore even Florance Joiner were in their prime none of the female commentators boasted about how great they look. It is weird with certain announcers. Like Jawonskie (I butchered his name)... he has blushes when he talks about certain quarterbacks. I think he is gay. The things he says is what a girl would say about her man. Really gay. Stewart, Lampley fall in that category. Just weird.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 21 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #47

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

(IMG:http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee433/cshel86/sigh-2.gif)

Here we go again...

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Nov 21 2011, 10:45 AM
Post #48

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

Analysts have been calling boxers "good looking kids" for decades now (maybe even from the beginning). Sometimes it refers to the level of their skills, other times it refers to their physical looks, but more to their ability to be marketed, not that they have any type of sexual interest in them.

This post has been edited by Snoop: Nov 21 2011, 10:46 AM

+Quote Post
Genius
post Nov 21 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #49

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

For the record Sergio Martinez is a good looking guy (no HOMO).

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 21 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #50

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Snoop @ Nov 21 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Analysts have been calling boxers "good looking kids" for decades now (maybe even from the beginning). Sometimes it refers to the level of their skills, other times it refers to their physical looks, but more to their ability to be marketed, not that they have any type of sexual interest in them.

Thank you!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 02:00 PM