Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best of the Era
mgrover
post Feb 12 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

The clear favorite for this is Mayweather, has it all the man realistically is at the top of everything in the sport, well more or less. But is there anyone that can rival him? Not quite sure how far to stretch this era of boxing really. I mean the era is obviously ending
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 12 2013, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

It may be an overplayed tune, but Money Mayweather takes this hands down. Nobody matches him skill and business wise.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

the only other person i can think of that comes close would be bernard hopkins. he's taken more chances than floyd and his losses are respectable for the most part. except for that acting job he did against dawson. if he can pull off this win against cloud...at his age...and this point in his career...that will be amazing.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 12 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 12 2013, 03:50 PM) *
the only other person i can think of that comes close would be bernard hopkins. he's taken more chances than floyd and his losses are respectable for the most part. except for that acting job he did against dawson. if he can pull off this win against cloud...at his age...and this point in his career...that will be amazing.

You may be onto something here, Prof. I totally forgot about B-Hop!

B-Hop is all about beating odds and nay sayers and completing milestones. But for some reason, I can only say he is close to the throne. Not on it. Though something like being close at his age is a damn big accomplishment anyways.
I think he has a fairly good chance of beating Cloud. I am not impressed with Tavoris and one can never count Bernard off..... not even on his death bed.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Feb 12 2013, 03:27 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 12 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 12 2013, 07:50 PM) *

I think he'll school Cloud tbh, but I don't really think Cloud is that good, I guess its fair to say BHop since he's technically part of this generation as he's fought on.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 04:22 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 12 2013, 02:58 PM) *
You may be onto something here, Prof. I totally forgot about B-Hop!

B-Hop is all about beating odds and nay sayers and completing milestones. But for some reason, I can only say he is close to the throne. Not on it. Though something like being close at his age is a damn big accomplishment anyways.
I think he has a fairly good chance of beating Cloud. I am not impressed with Tavoris and one can never count Bernard off..... not even on his death bed.

bhop has a lot of thing in his favor when u make his case...

-longevity
-high caliber opposition
-defying the odds (more than once)
-broke several records
-hasn't really been beaten (badly)
-multiple division champion

bhop is truly a throw back fighter. there are things about him that i didn't like, but overall...his skills and accomplishments cannot be denied.

floyd on the other hand is always going to have naysayers and an asterisk because of the opposition he didn't face....or the point where he faced them. i think floyds skills are truly undeniable...but his accomplishment earlier in his career far outshine his more recent accomplishments.

boxing is a 'what have you done for me lately' sport...so...i can see arguments for either guy being the best of this era.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 04:23 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 12 2013, 03:38 PM) *
I think he'll school Cloud tbh, but I don't really think Cloud is that good, I guess its fair to say BHop since he's technically part of this generation as he's fought on.

cloud looked like shit against campillo...but that was a southpaw last minute replacement. cloud has a new trainer. let's see what it looks like.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Feb 12 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #8

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

My personal favorite is Mayweather, aside from his antics, in the ring his skills are unmatched. After Mayweather vs Marquez, it was a wrap, Ill always be a fan of his work in the ring.

Marquez after Knocking out Pacquiao got pretty up there in my rankings. Ill always remember that, I called Marquez to win but DAMN. Hall of fame. Mayweather fucked up lol

Ward has the skills but is too inactive. I didn't really hear watch him until after i put a working on Froch. It was a wrap from there. And then he beat my next favorite Chad dawson, made him quit. haha dammm. Ward is nice but needs to fight more and cashout on his talents. before its too late!

If someone were to actually WIN against Mayweather then maybe they can take that torch. Canelo has potential for someone so young, if he were to beat Mayweather, Martinez, stepp down and beat Pacquiao somehow maybe Marquez?!!?. I'd be impressed but nahh no rivals for Mayweather,

If he we are talking Best "Fighters" of the Era i'll have to go with Jon Jones!!

Broner, Russel Jr, Rigondeux, Canelo- I have high hopes for after Mayweather retires ...and little 'cashflow' from 24/7

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 12 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

[size="5"][/size]
QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 12 2013, 04:32 PM) *
My personal favorite is Mayweather, aside from his antics, in the ring his skills are unmatched. After Mayweather vs Marquez, it was a wrap, Ill always be a fan of his work in the ring.

Marquez after Knocking out Pacquiao got pretty up there in my rankings. Ill always remember that, I called Marquez to win but DAMN. Hall of fame. Mayweather fucked up lol

Ward has the skills but is too inactive. I didn't really hear watch him until after i put a working on Froch. It was a wrap from there. And then he beat my next favorite Chad dawson, made him quit. haha dammm. Ward is nice but needs to fight more and cashout on his talents. before its too late!

If someone were to actually WIN against Mayweather then maybe they can take that torch. Canelo has potential for someone so young, if he were to beat Mayweather, Martinez, stepp down and beat Pacquiao somehow maybe Marquez?!!?. I'd be impressed but nahh no rivals for Mayweather,

If he we are talking Best "Fighters" of the Era i'll have to go with Jon Jones!!

Broner, Russel Jr, Rigondeux, Canelo- I have high hopes for after Mayweather retires ...and little 'cashflow' from 24/7

I don't agree that it was Floyd's fault that Pacquaio didn't take the 40 million offered to him, he (Manny) was the one who got KTFO for far less.

Back on topic though, let me break it down nice and simple like this:

Floyd is the best concerning boxing skills, Hopkins is second concerning skills (When he's not gunshy his offensive abilities are nearly as great as Floyd's and I'd say defensively that Hopkins may be even better at this point). Mayweather's career early into his start already solidified his HOF status but let's not forget that he will be looked at for ducking the following fighters by many (although I do not agree with it):

Casamayor, Frietas, Margarito and Pacquiao.

Hopkins has faced tough opposition but he will be accused of ducking the following (again, I don't always agree):

Jones rematch (earlier than it happened), and Toney.

BHop has the longest MW reign behind him and as many defenses, that achievement alone solidified his HOF status and everything he's done or is doing now is no more than an extra cherry on top of an already great career.

IMO, it is a tie based on BHop's longevity, age and still fighting the top level opposition all along while having moved up from MW puts him on par with Mayweather, couple that with his equally as good offensive ability and his better defensively abilities (ask me and I'll elaborate why) then it becomes more clear why they're on the same level.

This post has been edited by BrutUalBK: Feb 12 2013, 05:03 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ Feb 12 2013, 05:32 PM) *

huh!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:44 AM