> Money issues.
mitukczuk
post Mar 25 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

One more topic for good measure.

When I unfortunantelly read about Mosley getting into that ring once more, I've started wondering. People are quick to judge these days and immeditaly there were commnts about Mosley being broke. I know about his legal issues and lawyer fees because of his divorce, but is there any evidence or proof that he is getting back because of it? Same with James Toney or Roy Jones. People are talking about their bad or none investments at the beginning of their careers but is there any proof that they have these issues now and that's why they fight? Couldn't it be only the fact that they got their brains beaten out of their skulls? Or everyones favorite - they fight because they love the sport ?

If you have any websites or credible sources, please..poste them up. I am curious to see what's the deal...

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Mar 25 2013, 02:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 25 2013, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 25 2013, 07:45 PM) *
One more topic for good measure.

When I unfortunantelly read about Mosley getting into that ring once more, I've started wondering. People are quick to judge these days and immeditaly there were commnts about Mosley being broke. I know about his legal issues and lawyer fees because of his divorce, but is there any evidence or proof that he is getting back because of it? Same with James Toney or Roy Jones. People are talking about their bad or none investments at the beginning of their careers but is there any proof that they have these issues now and that's why they fight? Couldn't it be only the fact that they got their brains beaten out of their skulls? Or everyones favorite - they fight because they love the sport ?

If you have any websites or credible sources, please..poste them up. I am curious to see what's the deal...

I'd be curious too tbh, a lot of the time wanting to be great can eclipse any money offered. I mean realistically what's a man like Toney to do once he retires? Sit around watch tv? Eat his weight in fast food? Well he's already done those things and still wants to fight.

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Mar 25 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,802

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 25 2013, 02:56 PM) *
I'd be curious too tbh, a lot of the time wanting to be great can eclipse any money offered. I mean realistically what's a man like Toney to do once he retires? Sit around watch tv? Eat his weight in fast food? Well he's already done those things and still wants to fight.

I don't know about their money issues, if any, but its hard to walk away from anything that you have dedicated your life to.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 25 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Mar 25 2013, 09:11 PM) *
I don't know about their money issues, if any, but its hard to walk away from anything that you have dedicated your life to.

sounds about right, more or less what i wanted to say

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

I always give this same scenario...

1. Money hungry family members
2. Luxury homes = crazy maintenance fees (luxury taxes, pools, indoor/outdoor courts and pools, fish tanks, utilities, etc)
3. Luxury cars
4. Taxes, taxes, and fuckin' taxes
5. Baby mamas/kids/child support
6. Honest families (without the baby mama and child support)
7. Divorces
8. Bad investments

You can add whatever you'd like to this list, but more often than not, some of the things on this list keep fighters fighting longer than they need.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Mar 26 2013, 07:36 AM
Post #6

Lightweight

It looks pretty negative C' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am wondering whether some of these guys are actually doing it for the love of sport...Roy Jones didn't seem to be spending his money too wildly or at least he wasn't acting like "Hey look at my gold chainz". Holyfield is done because of his what....20 children? That's clear. But Mosley, Jones or other guys who have come out of the retirement...don't tell me they all fucked up!

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 26 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

I don't actually think Roy is broke. His addiction, like many other former "in the spotlight" personalities, may be crowd adulation or public praise. It's like that guy in the weight room, who's been absent for a couple of years, returns thinking he can push the weight he used to, failing to realize he's older and that weight isn't gonna feel the same.

Lastly, I agree w/ Shelly....that laundry list, especially, the first, can and usually does, keep fighters fighting waaaaaaay past their date of expiration.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 26 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 26 2013, 08:36 AM) *
It looks pretty negative C' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am wondering whether some of these guys are actually doing it for the love of sport...Roy Jones didn't seem to be spending his money too wildly or at least he wasn't acting like "Hey look at my gold chainz". Holyfield is done because of his what....20 children? That's clear. But Mosley, Jones or other guys who have come out of the retirement...don't tell me they all fucked up!

Negative? It's money...not too many good things come out of it. Lol

I know how I feel when I get my little checks, so I can only imagine the whole gladiator syndrome that some of these guys have when they see these million dollar checks, lol.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 26 2013, 08:45 AM) *
I don't actually think Roy is broke. His addiction, like many other former "in the spotlight" personalities, may be crowd adulation or public praise. It's like that guy in the weight room, who's been absent for a couple of years, returns thinking he can push the weight he used to, failing to realize he's older and that weight isn't gonna feel the same.

Lastly, I agree w/ Shelly....that laundry list, especially, the first, can and usually does, keep fighters fighting waaaaaaay past their date of expiration.

Lol, right. Don't remind me of those old school cats that come in the gym with sweatbands, high socks, and goggles on...those dudes are wild! Lol

Money issues are nothing new to athletes, especially boxers. Think about it, Floyd can lace up and crack at least $20M in 36 minutes...that's some fast money for yo ass! I'm sure most fighters fighting past their expiration date think the same thing (for smaller money of course)..."If I can survive for 36 minutes, then I can pay off (insert liability here)".

Other athletes have to come back for a whole season to get that type of money, and they're usually bound to a contract, they REALLY have to play past their expiration date. Wouldn't wanna break a contract, now would we? Lol

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 26 2013, 07:59 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Boxers aren't the smartest bunch of guys when it comes to the numbers. They are fighters and unlike other sports they do not get guaranteed money. Their purses depend on how popular they are and who they are fighting. These guys do not even finish high school or at times middle school. So they have to trust their funds to accountants and promoters, and we know how honest those people can be. Boxers should really invest in taking a basic math class and accounting. They should realize that their window of opportunity is very short. Not all guys get top purses like Evander, Oscar, Manny P, and Floyd. Actually their purses are almost rare. Boxers need to be smart and learn from boxers of the past. One punch can end a hall of fame career. One mistake can put you away from a very long time. Boxers are like a shooting star bright one day and faded the next. Money MANAGEMENT is key.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Mar 26 2013, 10:22 AM
Post #10

Lightweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 26 2013, 08:53 AM) *
Negative? It's money...not too many good things come out of it. Lol

True dat.

Man, this is actually quite a sad topic when you think about it. Fighters not finishing schools resulting in them being stupid when decisions have to be made. Wide ass family circles taking advantage of the more fortunate members. Or fighters past their prime desperately wishing to be in the limelight once more not realizing it's long gone. Money and egos...nothing else.

I wish there were stricter rules and tests in case of fighters who want to go back into that ring lets say..past 35 or whatever the age might be...some fighters are done in their 20s...Brandon Rios. Psychological tests etc. Goddamn we got like thousands of various governing bodies and no true organization that would stop these guys from destroying themselves. But I guess that would only mean that there would be one more organization to bribe. Damn Im starting to heat up just thinking about it..lol

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 12:01 PM