IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather-Alexander? Not Guerrero? (Topics Merged), Update:IBF Will Not Sanction Mayweather-Alexander (Brook is Mandatory)
The Original MrF...
post Jan 28 2013, 02:07 AM
Post #51

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 27 2013, 08:54 PM) *
The margarito point is completely invalid because Margarito was with top Rank. Floyd JUST LEFT top rank to fight de la hoya in 07. The beef between himself and arum was fresh. A Mayweather margarito fight in 08 was less likely then a mayweather pacquiao fight in 2013. That has nothing to do with ducking and everything to do with business. And mayweather beat the man that massacred a cheating Margarito so whats your point?...
The Paul Williams argument is understandable. The Marquez argument is understandable and still Marquez was number 2 P4P and HE called FLOYD out. When ward fought dawson DAWSON called ward out. Ward didnt go up to 175 to fight. And Paul Williams vs Mayweather wouldnt gross nearly as much as mayweather marquez. Marquez is oe of the rop 3 mexican fighters of all time. Who is williams now? Where will he stand in history?...stop it. If you call someone out you fight at their weight class. Yes marquez was 135 but since you like to bring history up.. history shows marquez called floyd out. But to say mayweather "ducked" Maragarito like he didnt JUST leave top tank with bad blood boiling between himself and arum. No ones defending no one. Thats just a dumb argument.

I can agree with that to some degree. I believe, money talks and the fights could have been made if negotiations took place. Perhaps thae bad blood supercedes the pay day. There was and still is some issue between Arum and Mayweather. I think that has contributed to us not getting the fights we want. Williams was a great fighter whose career was cut short due to a horrific injury. I'm not gonna hold that against his body of work. Had he been able to continue his career, we'd possibly see a different set of circumstances today. He was scheduled to fight Alvarez before the injury.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Jan 28 2013, 07:07 AM
Post #52

Featherweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,282

Why do people act like Floyd wouldn't have handled Margarito with ease ?

I mean, motherfuckers talk like his legacy is incomplete for not beating the dog shit out of a cheat.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 28 2013, 08:54 AM
Post #53

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 28 2013, 07:07 AM) *

I mean, motherfuckers talk like his legacy is incomplete for not beating the dog shit out of a cheat.

This... and wasn't Baldomir the unified champ at '47 at that time?

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 28 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #54

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Plah @ Jan 28 2013, 09:54 AM) *

Yes he was. He had an awesome year that year, think he won like 3-4 fights against top ranked fighters. Not sure but I think he was even fighter of the year

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 28 2013, 01:34 PM
Post #55

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 28 2013, 02:07 AM) *
I can agree with that to some degree. I believe, money talks and the fights could have been made if negotiations took place. Perhaps thae bad blood supercedes the pay day. There was and still is some issue between Arum and Mayweather. I think that has contributed to us not getting the fights we want. Williams was a great fighter whose career was cut short due to a horrific injury. I'm not gonna hold that against his body of work. Had he been able to continue his career, we'd possibly see a different set of circumstances today. He was scheduled to fight Alvarez before the injury.

Very true. Who knows what the future would've had in store for him had he never got into that terrible career ending accident. However legacy wise, I don't think Williams would've compared to Marquez. And thats one factor that makes Mayweather's decision to pick Marquez (The 3rd greatest Mexican fighter of all time, the No. 2 P4Per in '09, and arguably today's #3 P4Per) a solid one. I know if I was Floyd at the time I'd pick a 135 Marquez over a 147 Williams ANYDAY. Looks way better on a resume. And imagine if Marquez goes back down to 135. He'll beat everyone down there.. even Broner. Mayweather's win over Marquez would seem even greater.

As for Danny Garcia we can all officially agree that he wont be fighting Floyd since Garcia-Judah has been postponed to 4/27/2013

So now we have Guerrero and Bradley(unlikely). I dont see anyone else he could possibly fight. Someone mentioned Brook as a possibility but im not to solid on that. We'll see, but the suspense is killing me i must admit lol

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 28 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #56

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

till Mayweather beats a legitimate 154lb champion there's no way he can simply beat Trout. I have my doubts about the Canelo fight too, but I think Mayweather outboxes him but who knows, he's shown he can be hurt.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Jan 28 2013, 03:08 PM
Post #57

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

People are crazy to even want to throw Margarito in an argument to tarnish Mayweather's accolades. Mayweather would've destroyed Margarito!! if SHANE MOSELY (#3 welterweight at the time) can go in there and put him out and Pacquiao (#2) could beat on him enough and break his orbital bone, what do you think the #1 welterweight would do? Margarito was way too slow he could have been getting circled and countered all night. Cotto's endurance and his defense are not as good as Mayweather's including the possible plaster glove factor, Mayweather would've made margarito his bitch. If margarito applies constant pressure then he will constantly get outclassed.

Williams would have been more difficult but just because he is faster than Margarito. He still gets hit WAYYYYY too much and doesn't utilize his height and reach like he should. Williams would go down like Corrales (RIP).

We already know Mayweather just picks his big money fights, I dont think he feels he has to prove much. When you get a paycheck for a fight and its 20,000,000$. then maybe you just want more paychecks like that.

For his next fight i really think it wont be the obvious pick, which would be Guerrero. I have a feeling he is gonna surprise me and pick Amir Khan. Still a big money fight because of the UK fanbase, Khan is only has his speed lol, and he has Virgil hunter...If not Khan then Guerrero, i think Bob Arum doesn't want Mayweather to cashout if he picks bradley. Mayweather can then say "I beat both guys who beat Poochiao" and it would still be a big money fight. Guerrero i guess is a solid backup

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #58

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jan 28 2013, 08:07 AM) *

i love mayweather and cannot stand margarito...but even i can admit that would have been a very difficult fight for floyd because of the size difference and margarito's ability to take a punch. floyd would have had to work really hard to get that win. i don't believe a margarito win would have been out of the question. as for his legacy being incomplete....he cast shadow over himself with his leonard-esque retirements and careful opponent selection. i ain't mad at him for it...it is what it is...when u get to that level, u deserve to pick and choose. but ask yourself, when was the last time floyd truly tested himself? when was the last time he fought a guy that no one thought he could beat? when was the last time he faced an undefeated fighter that actually had a chance to beat him? floyd and pac both are guilty of careful matchmaking above 140lbs.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #59

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Plah @ Jan 28 2013, 09:54 AM) *

key word...unified...not undisputed.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 28 2013, 03:14 PM
Post #60

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Marcus @ Jan 28 2013, 02:34 PM) *
Very true. Who knows what the future would've had in store for him had he never got into that terrible career ending accident. However legacy wise, I don't think Williams would've compared to Marquez. And thats one factor that makes Mayweather's decision to pick Marquez (The 3rd greatest Mexican fighter of all time, the No. 2 P4Per in '09, and arguably today's #3 P4Per) a solid one. I know if I was Floyd at the time I'd pick a 135 Marquez over a 147 Williams ANYDAY. Looks way better on a resume. And imagine if Marquez goes back down to 135. He'll beat everyone down there.. even Broner. Mayweather's win over Marquez would seem even greater.

As for Danny Garcia we can all officially agree that he wont be fighting Floyd since Garcia-Judah has been postponed to 4/27/2013

So now we have Guerrero and Bradley(unlikely). I dont see anyone else he could possibly fight. Someone mentioned Brook as a possibility but im not to solid on that. We'll see, but the suspense is killing me i must admit lol

looking good on a resume means nothing imo. maybe to the casual fan...but at that time, williams was a threat and not too many wanted to face him. not many gave marquez a chance against floyd. that fight went exactly as it should have. a win against williams would have been much more impressive imo.

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 09:26 AM