Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GOAT in Weightclass
happygocampy
post May 4 2013, 12:54 AM
Post #21

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,569

Heavyweight - Joe Louis, in his prime i feel he was better than Ali, he could punch like a mule's kick and had amazing stamina bringing his power into the late rounds, an early Ali would get KO'd, a primed Ali's rope a dope would fail, imho of course.

Cruiserweight - Evander Holyfield. Pathetic weight class, no comment.

Light Heavyweight - Bob Foster, this guy was amazing at throwing fast, hard KO punches from blind angles most fighters never saw. He wouldn't just put guys down, he'd put guys out cold.

Super Middleweight - Roy Jones Jr, At this weight class, even with no chin he was simply amazing nobody else would be able to catch him in his prime.

Middleweight - Harry Greb, don't bother going to look for video of this guy, you won't find it. Going out on a limb just from reading a biography on him, this guy was pretty amazing. Fought with a blind right eye the last 5 years of his career and passed away at a young 32. If you were to ever read 1 book on a fighter, this guy's bio is worth the read.

Junior Middleweight - Thomas Hearns, even more of a beast @ Welter, but sadly wasn't the greatest there, but hell i'll call him the greatest Junior middle.

Welterweight - Sugar Ray Robinson, no explanation needed.

Junior Welterweight - Aaron Pryor, This was a tough choice but lets be honest, this was Pryor's weight class.

Lightweight - Roberto Duran, this is the toughest division to choose, such rich history. I however think a young primed Duran may have been the best ever at this weight.

Junior lightweight - Floyd Mayweather, i actually wanted to put Arguello here, but i have to be honest, a prime Floyd would outbox a prime Arguello.

Featherweight - Willie Pep, no explanation needed.

Junior Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez, the guy was just devastating, in his prime i don't think any other Junior Feather would have much chance standing against him.

Bantamweight - Tie, Eder Jofre and Carlos Zarate, Yet another history rich division. Jofre had quite a great run in this weight class and many would pick him over Zarate, he even retired, cameback fighting at Featherweight, looked amazing there and won a title.. Zarate was an absolute beast at this weight, he eventually moved up in weight to fight Wilfredo Gomez and got stopped. Even though Zarate was only 27 at the time he looked old and crappy in that fight. Too bad him and Jofre were 1 generation apart, would have liked to see that fight at this weight.

Super flyweight - Johnny Tapia, Honorable mention to Khaosai Galaxy, the guy had some pop, but Tapia was just a better boxer.

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde, without question, old school but anyone who reads boxing history would agree.

Junior Flyweight - Michael Carbajal, wish he was born a decade earlier and we could have seen him fight Zapata and Chang. I think he was better than both, but they are definately worth mentioning.

Strawweight - Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez, no brainer, dominated the division and retired undefeated without any controversy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 4 2013, 01:07 AM
Post #22

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 3 2013, 02:00 PM) *
hopkins never fought at cruiser. he's fighting at light heavyweight. i'll let him finish his career before i make the decision on whether or not he ranks above archie moore at light heavy.

You're right, I got the weights confused.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 4 2013, 07:07 AM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 2 2013, 03:17 PM) *
same here with hagler. in his day...he was a beast and highly feared. bhops consecutive defenses aren't on the level with haglers' reign.

As a kid in the early 80's i was scared to death of Marvin hagler. You'd think I was getting ready to fight him. I felt really bad for the whoopin' Thomas hearns was about to recieve. Hagler just looked mean. i thought he was gonna break into my house, beat my dad to death and rape my mother. i was that scared of him. I got older and those Old Spice commercials tempered my fears much later on.

+Quote Post
Plah
post May 4 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #24

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 4 2013, 08:07 AM) *
As a kid in the early 80's i was scared to death of Marvin hagler. You'd think I was getting ready to fight him. I felt really bad for the whoopin' Thomas hearns was about to recieve. Hagler just looked mean. i thought he was gonna break into my house, beat my dad to death and rape my mother. i was that scared of him. I got older and those Old Spice commercials tempered my fears much later on.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

glad u got over your fear.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 07:38 PM
Post #26

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (happygocampy @ May 4 2013, 01:54 AM) *
Heavyweight - Joe Louis, in his prime i feel he was better than Ali, he could punch like a mule's kick and had amazing stamina bringing his power into the late rounds, an early Ali would get KO'd, a primed Ali's rope a dope would fail, imho of course.

Cruiserweight - Evander Holyfield. Pathetic weight class, no comment.

Light Heavyweight - Bob Foster, this guy was amazing at throwing fast, hard KO punches from blind angles most fighters never saw. He wouldn't just put guys down, he'd put guys out cold.

Super Middleweight - Roy Jones Jr, At this weight class, even with no chin he was simply amazing nobody else would be able to catch him in his prime.

Middleweight - Harry Greb, don't bother going to look for video of this guy, you won't find it. Going out on a limb just from reading a biography on him, this guy was pretty amazing. Fought with a blind right eye the last 5 years of his career and passed away at a young 32. If you were to ever read 1 book on a fighter, this guy's bio is worth the read.

Junior Middleweight - Thomas Hearns, even more of a beast @ Welter, but sadly wasn't the greatest there, but hell i'll call him the greatest Junior middle.

Welterweight - Sugar Ray Robinson, no explanation needed.

Junior Welterweight - Aaron Pryor, This was a tough choice but lets be honest, this was Pryor's weight class.

Lightweight - Roberto Duran, this is the toughest division to choose, such rich history. I however think a young primed Duran may have been the best ever at this weight.

Junior lightweight - Floyd Mayweather, i actually wanted to put Arguello here, but i have to be honest, a prime Floyd would outbox a prime Arguello.

Featherweight - Willie Pep, no explanation needed.

Junior Featherweight - Wilfredo Gomez, the guy was just devastating, in his prime i don't think any other Junior Feather would have much chance standing against him.

Bantamweight - Tie, Eder Jofre and Carlos Zarate, Yet another history rich division. Jofre had quite a great run in this weight class and many would pick him over Zarate, he even retired, cameback fighting at Featherweight, looked amazing there and won a title.. Zarate was an absolute beast at this weight, he eventually moved up in weight to fight Wilfredo Gomez and got stopped. Even though Zarate was only 27 at the time he looked old and crappy in that fight. Too bad him and Jofre were 1 generation apart, would have liked to see that fight at this weight.

Super flyweight - Johnny Tapia, Honorable mention to Khaosai Galaxy, the guy had some pop, but Tapia was just a better boxer.

Flyweight - Jimmy Wilde, without question, old school but anyone who reads boxing history would agree.

Junior Flyweight - Michael Carbajal, wish he was born a decade earlier and we could have seen him fight Zapata and Chang. I think he was better than both, but they are definately worth mentioning.

Strawweight - Ricardo "El Finito" Lopez, no brainer, dominated the division and retired undefeated without any controversy.

great list.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post May 6 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #27

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

IM surprised nobody gave at least an honorabke mention to julio cesar chavez at lightweight and especially light welterweight. That guy has the longest underfeated streak and winning streak in boxing history. He also only truly ever lost to 2 guys in his prime, de la hoya and frankie randall. I thin k him vs aaron pryor at 140 would have been amazing.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 6 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #28

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Holy shit!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:55 PM