IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do we rate legacy?, Old school heirarchy...
Rumpoffsteelskin
post Feb 11 2014, 02:07 PM
Post #11

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,125

If I heard someone put SRL in the top 5 all-time, I wouldn't bat an eye...but I also would not expect it to go unchallenged. But, IMO Leonard was that good. Ali was the greatest fighter ever in terms of impact, Robinson and a prime Roy Jones in terms of pure skill and ability. Leonard is somewhere among these men. More skilled than Ali, but less of an impact in the grand scheme. Less skilled or gifted than Roy or Walker, but a much bigger ambassador for the sport.

His legacy is unquestioned. In addition to Hagler, Hearn and Duran, he fought Viruet, DaveyBoy Green and Benitez. And SRL is basically responsible for one of the best weight classes in boxing today, super midddleweight.

That is a legacy if there ever was one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Feb 11 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

he knew how to exploit gettign a decision, thats for sure. he stole alot of alis moves and walker smith as well. he was the fighter that as handed the torch after ali and he was not a heavyeight, so he is def responsible for the glory of the 147 division today, he didnt start it but he took it to the next level. He is an icon of boxing. He invented the platform of superfight that floyd mayweather enjoys today. He as more of a showman IMO and he got a lot of questionable bullshit IMO like tkoing benitez with 7 seconds left in the fight to win the title, thats some taylor chavez bs. And the hagler fight was the same way. I think he won on show, he as dying in there. It doesnt matter, because he did the impossible and nobody thought he could do the shit he ended up doing.

+Quote Post
hookoffthejab
post Feb 12 2014, 03:12 PM
Post #13

Amateur

Member No.: 14,117

My personal opinion is he should have beat Duran both times being as tho he had the youth and a considerable size advantage and was suppose to be the best american fighter alive. Hagler was 4 years past its date and he ducked Barkley, Pryor, and an immediate Hearns rematch....We hold the fighters of today to a higher standard.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Feb 12 2014, 05:16 PM
Post #14

Lightweight

yeah he beat duran then wouldnt give him a rematch for ten years. if he beat you any which way, he ouldnt fight you again. duran gave him an immediate rematch, and he should have done the same. He knew the shit he pulled in that rematch, and it was kinda dirty, but shame on duran for agreeing to the terms.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 12 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 12 2014, 10:16 PM) *
yeah he beat duran then wouldnt give him a rematch for ten years. if he beat you any which way, he ouldnt fight you again. duran gave him an immediate rematch, and he should have done the same. He knew the shit he pulled in that rematch, and it was kinda dirty, but shame on duran for agreeing to the terms.

I remember people saying it was Durans manager taking it rather than Duran

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Feb 12 2014, 05:32 PM
Post #16

Lightweight

i think it duran made 11 million so how could anyone on their team say no to that?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 13 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Feb 12 2014, 10:32 PM) *
i think it duran made 11 million so how could anyone on their team say no to that?

Well seemed like they were throwing there fighter to the dogs.

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Feb 15 2014, 05:02 AM
Post #18

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

I still get ticked thinking about that decision vs Hagler. Marvin was my favorite fighter of that generation.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:16 PM