IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ward vs Chavez (Topics Merged), Any Interest? At 168?
daprofessor
post Aug 21 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #21

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (checkleft @ Aug 21 2012, 03:05 PM) *
By Arthur Abraham syndrome I meant his strength and physical attributes wouldn't transfer over to 168.. I could be wrong but after the super six I'm pretty sure that's the reason Abraham went back to 160

oh. i didn't know he went back to 160.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 21 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #22

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Just watched the preview of JCC jr-Martinez face off...can't wait til the fight lol. There both looking like their going to bring their A-game. I initially picked Sergio to win but the more I think about it the more it seems like a toss up fight to me at this point.

Eventually JCC jr will move to 168 but I see him having some serious issues against a Dirrell or Ward. I say this because those 2 fighters have a high skill level and are athletic. I think this will serve as an detriment to Chaverz jr at 168. He has none/minimal athleticism. He has a solid chin but I can't ignore the fact that his biggest strength in fights is his massive weight advantage which would disappear at 168. Even if he grew into a player at SMW I still don't see him contending with the Direll and Ward types. His defense has improved but it's still mediocre and that's being generous. And who's to say that power will carry up to SMW. I think he's food for these 2 and possibly others at 168 if he tries to be brave and fight them

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 21 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 21 2012, 04:16 PM) *
Just watched the preview of JCC jr-Martinez face off...can't wait til the fight lol. There both looking like their going to bring their A-game. I initially picked Sergio to win but the more I think about it the more it seems like a toss up fight to me at this point.

Eventually JCC jr will move to 168 but I see him having some serious issues against a Dirrell or Ward. I say this because those 2 fighters have a high skill level and are athletic. I think this will serve as an detriment to Chaverz jr at 168. He has none/minimal athleticism. He has a solid chin but I can't ignore the fact that his biggest strength in fights is his massive weight advantage which would disappear at 168. Even if he grew into a player at SMW I still don't see him contending with the Direll and Ward types. His defense has improved but it's still mediocre and that's being generous. And who's to say that power will carry up to SMW. I think he's food for these 2 and possibly others at 168 if he tries to be brave and fight them

i can't help but to think about jr's old man...and how much he's really starting to look like him in the ring with his style. i agree...jr isn't an athlete...but he is a fighter...and like roy jones said..."a born fighter." i think he definitely has difficult times against both ward and dirrell..but i can see him beating dirrell. the pressure and body work would be enough to slow him down and i don't really think dirrell is a big puncher. dirrell has definite advantages over chavez but i could see this one playing out like chavez sr/m.taylor. it would go down to the wire.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 21 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 06:01 PM) *
dirrell has definite advantages over chavez but i could see this one playing out like chavez sr/m.taylor. it would go down to the wire.

I agree. I saw how Abraham was starting to get in his ass after the middle rounds...

+Quote Post
Plah
post Aug 22 2012, 09:17 AM
Post #25

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

C'mon Plah, your mind is still stuck in 2011. I would've have somewhat agreed with you a year ago, in regards to Chavez losing to Martinez. Not now though. You dont thinkk its a 50/50 fight at this point?

Good ol' Sr. didn't have that many tricks in his bag, he was a basic fighter with a little head movement, a good chin, and nasty body shots...does Jr. remind you of him in any manner? I would say yes.

I wont sit here and say that Julio is a skilled fighter, but he does have the size, chin, body shots, and resolve, to make a decent (if not great) account for himself in the above mentioned fights. Agree? Somewhat?

I 100% agree with the Sr. Comparison and that he has the size, a great chin, some pretty good body work. But it being a 50/50 fight? I dont know. I can see him getting hit with the same punch that ko'd Williams. And Paul Williams had a very good chin too plus a better defense (not that he was protecting himself or saw that punch coming lmao).

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Aug 22 2012, 09:41 AM
Post #26

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 21 2012, 05:16 PM) *

I agree man. I'm excited about this fight and the Ward vs Dawson fight because at the very least, I expect them to be totally competitive. I too thought Sergio would put a whoopin on Jr at first but Chavez Jr has matured as a fighter.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 22 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #27

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Plah @ Aug 22 2012, 10:17 AM) *
I 100% agree with the Sr. Comparison and that he has the size, a great chin, some pretty good body work. But it being a 50/50 fight? I dont know. I can see him getting hit with the same punch that ko'd Williams. And Paul Williams had a very good chin too plus a better defense (not that he was protecting himself or saw that punch coming lmao).

I agree to an extent. The Williams KO was Sergio's best KO, but let's be honest here, Chavez and Williams' chins are totally different at 160. Julio can take that punch at 180 lbs (on fight night), and Paul couldn't, and Im sure he was under 170 lbs. Williams' chin at 160 has always been shakey, but at 54 and down, it was legit.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 22 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #28

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 22 2012, 10:47 AM) *
I agree to an extent. The Williams KO was Sergio's best KO, but let's be honest here, Chavez and Williams' chins are totally different at 160. Julio can take that punch at 180 lbs (on fight night), and Paul couldn't, and Im sure he was under 170 lbs. Williams' chin at 160 has always been shakey, but at 54 and down, it was legit.

chavez is a much bigger dude than williams. williams is really a jr middleweight/welterweight. julio will problably end up at 175. i get the feeling he's going to eat his punches and keep coming.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 22 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Aug 22 2012, 09:41 AM) *
I agree man. I'm excited about this fight and the Ward vs Dawson fight because at the very least, I expect them to be totally competitive. I too thought Sergio would put a whoopin on Jr at first but Chavez Jr has matured as a fighter.

Agreed, if this was yrs back I would've told anybody who'd listen that Martinez would have his way with JCC jr. But now he's adding some new wrinkles to his arsenal every time he gets in the ring now. His defense is still crap but I blame that on Roach but he has improved tremendously and this will be a great fight

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 22 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 21 2012, 05:01 PM) *
i can't help but to think about jr's old man...and how much he's really starting to look like him in the ring with his style. i agree...jr isn't an athlete...but he is a fighter...and like roy jones said..."a born fighter." i think he definitely has difficult times against both ward and dirrell..but i can see him beating dirrell. the pressure and body work would be enough to slow him down and i don't really think dirrell is a big puncher. dirrell has definite advantages over chavez but i could see this one playing out like chavez sr/m.taylor. it would go down to the wire.

I see him turning into his old man too and that's the problem. Ward/Dirrell, I look at them as opponents as far as when Chavez sr fought Meldrick and Sweet pea. Chavez sr wasn't going to win that fight if Steele dumb ass hadn't of stopped it. taylor was pretty much in control waaay more then half the fight. And Sweet Pea gave his ass a lesson in the sweet science and he got that horrible "draw" against him. He could pressure him and the body work could be a factor but I still stick to his weight advantage being his biggest asset in his career. His father and him are the same fighters, you put'em in front of an athlete and they toast.

He's a born fighter but people like Ward and Dirrell are naturally gifted athletes and those types 99 out of 100 win. Their also hard to beat. AA started to touch Dirrell late but by then I didn't think it was enough, unless he could've ko'd Andre. And I am of the opinion that Dirrell beat Froch. I don't rate Chavez jr even close to their level of fighter and Dirrell and Ward did had much success against them. Chavez jr has minimal defense. i see it tough if he suddenly jumps leaps in bounds in this area but if not then I see trouble

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:44 PM