> Bob Arum on "the cold war", some lies, some truths
AZWildCat
post Feb 5 2014, 01:23 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,789

http://www.fighthype.com/news/external/ind...cold-war--74372

“You [have to] understand that whatever is said, it has nothing to do with ‘they won’t do business with us’ or ‘we don’t’ do business with them’. That’s all bullsh*t. I mean I lived with [Don] King for so many years where we were competitors and we did business together. The problem is Showtime. Showtime won’t deal with any promoter except Golden Boy! So why should I take a fighter and give them to Showtime when they won’t deal with Top Rank or any other promoter other than Golden Boy,”

they offered you Doniare vs mares and showed you the money dont use that one.

“Showtime is the one that’s at fault and CBS has allowed them to get away with this kind of thing. It’s never happened before in the sport of boxing where one entity only deals with one promoter. When is the last time another promoter – forget Top Rank – any other promoter has put a fight on for Showtime?”

is there truth to this?

“ they take a fight a Canelo-Angulo which belongs on Showtime and they put it on pay per view. What is that?”

ill give that one to him that is not a ppv fight.

“They have a guy [Stephen Espinoza] in charge of Showtime Sports, he signed Mayweather; if you’re a subscriber for Showtime, what the hell difference does it mean to you? Mayweather isn’t on Showtime, he’s on pay-per-view. If you have a subscription, you can’t see a Mayweather fight on Showtime. It’s ridiculous”.

100% truth ...i hate to say it but bob has a very valid point!

your thoughts
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 5 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 06:23 PM) *
http://www.fighthype.com/news/external/ind...cold-war--74372

“You [have to] understand that whatever is said, it has nothing to do with ‘they won’t do business with us’ or ‘we don’t’ do business with them’. That’s all bullsh*t. I mean I lived with [Don] King for so many years where we were competitors and we did business together. The problem is Showtime. Showtime won’t deal with any promoter except Golden Boy! So why should I take a fighter and give them to Showtime when they won’t deal with Top Rank or any other promoter other than Golden Boy,”

they offered you Doniare vs mares and showed you the money dont use that one.

“Showtime is the one that’s at fault and CBS has allowed them to get away with this kind of thing. It’s never happened before in the sport of boxing where one entity only deals with one promoter. When is the last time another promoter – forget Top Rank – any other promoter has put a fight on for Showtime?”

is there truth to this?

“ they take a fight a Canelo-Angulo which belongs on Showtime and they put it on pay per view. What is that?”

ill give that one to him that is not a ppv fight.

“They have a guy [Stephen Espinoza] in charge of Showtime Sports, he signed Mayweather; if you’re a subscriber for Showtime, what the hell difference does it mean to you? Mayweather isn’t on Showtime, he’s on pay-per-view. If you have a subscription, you can’t see a Mayweather fight on Showtime. It’s ridiculous”.

100% truth ...i hate to say it but bob has a very valid point!

your thoughts

even a hypocrite speaks the truth now and again

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 5 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 01:23 PM) *

is there truth to this?

Donny got a card on the 22nd....go figure

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 5 2014, 01:24 PM) *
even a hypocrite speaks the truth now and again

True

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Feb 5 2014, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,090

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 01:23 PM) *

is there truth to this?

just did some quick research on this cuz right off the bat, it seems absurd that cbs/showtime airs only GBP fighters. just as an example, hank lundy's got a fight coming up soon, and neither him or santana are listed on the GBP website.

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Feb 5 2014, 09:16 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 06:51 PM) *
Donny got a card on the 22nd....go figure

jus saw this after i posted. is this the lundy santana card on the 21st or a different one?

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 5 2014, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Feb 5 2014, 10:16 PM) *
jus saw this after i posted. is this the lundy santana card on the 21st or a different one?

That's the one...actually on paper that looks like a damn good fight

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Feb 5 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #7

Bantamweight

QUOTE (AZWildCat @ Feb 5 2014, 09:50 PM) *
That's the one...actually on paper that looks like a damn good fight

hank's been showin up on my fb feed...likes to post up all his workouts and such. seems like he's training hard. says after santana he wants matthyse

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 5 2014, 10:16 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Feb 5 2014, 10:00 PM) *
hank's been showin up on my fb feed...likes to post up all his workouts and such. seems like he's training hard. says after santana he wants matthyse

Good to hear...more props to him...I know he was campaigning for a broner fight before his last lost

This post has been edited by AZWildCat: Feb 5 2014, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 5 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Usual rhetoric, 99% bullshit with 1% truth. Truth is it's bullshit on both sides, between the promoters and the networks. He had some valid points like the Canelo fight, that's really a regular network fight but on the flip side, you have to start somewhere. He can't fight on Mayweather cards forever. I'll leave most of it alone. Still can't believe that he's brining up DK, as if historically he's a better promoter then Don

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Feb 5 2014, 11:05 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 5 2014, 11:21 PM) *
Usual rhetoric, 99% bullshit with 1% truth. Truth is it's bullshit on both sides, between the promoters and the networks. He had some valid points like the Canelo fight, that's really a regular network fight but on the flip side, you have to start somewhere. He can't fight on Mayweather cards forever. I'll leave most of it alone. Still can't believe that he's brining up DK, as if historically he's a better promoter then Don

Don may have screwed alota folks but he made big fights happen in every era of boxing he's been apart of!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:09 PM