IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showtime@10:30PM(ET)/7:30PM(PT)-Khan vs. Molina-SPOILERS, No New Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of HBO Card
Kratza
post Dec 16 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #71

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,360

I'd rather hear "I wanna fight Garcia next" than "Oh well, i'll leave it up to my promoter and manager, they decide everything" any day of the week
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 16 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #72

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Dec 16 2012, 08:21 AM) *
I was pretty impressed with Amir Khan.

Immediately, you notice that his footwork and coordination has improved. His stance seems less wide and his steps are quicker and shorter, which is allowing him to keep his balance. Virgil seems to have done a great job here.

Additionally, the sequences where he fought Molina with his back to the ropes and up close, he showed some of those Andre Ward moves (creating a little separation and going in with short hooks and getting low to guard against the body shots).

Perhaps the most encouraging aspect of Khan 2.0 is that he doesn't lunge off balance when he tries to put punches together. The chin has better protection and isn't out there for a phantom punch to connect with.

If there's one criticism, it's that I wanted to see some more body work from him. With Khan's hand speed, he should be able to land the spear jab to the opponent's body at will. Had he focused on that, I think he could have gotten Molina out of there a few rounds earlier.

So far, it seems Virgil Hunter is doing a great job of getting Amir Khan back to where he needs to be. He's a talented guy with an enjoyable style, and Hunter may well be able to get the best out of Khan 2.0.

^this, right on the money.

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Dec 16 2012, 12:27 PM
Post #73

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

Virgil Hunter taking on that father figure role....calm his ass down type trainer.

Amir wanting to prove so long...now he has somebody to calm his ass down and THINK.

we shall see.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 16 2012, 01:49 PM
Post #74

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I still think it's hard to tell if he made any major improvements, especially against that midget with no punching power that he fought last night. Khan talked about how he could take Molina's punch, but let's face it, Molina isn't a big puncher.

It's waaay too early to say that Khan made any major improvements...he just learned to relax a bit (as some of you mentioned). The whole calling Garcia out, was just a joke to me. I mean seriously though, Khan WAS winning the fight, but he got dumb/overconfident, and set himself up for failure. The crazy part is, Garcia may only be at 140 for 2 more fights, then he's gonna move up.

The reason that nobody listens to Khan when he calls them out, is because he doesn't listen to guys when they call him out...for a rematch. Khan still hasn't processed the fact that the Garcia loss was totally his fault. From the way he speaks of it, he just "made a mistake".

In all fairness, he did make a mistake, but if that's the case, why wont he give Maidana a rematch? Why wont he show off his new skills against a now battered Prescott. Im sure Maidana was thinking in his head, "Man, if I had only walked him down to the ropes in the earlier rounds, then I woulnd't have been too tired to finish him".

When Khan calls out guys, it's considered begging. When guys call out Khan for a rematch, he ignores it. He just needs a taste of his own medicine...and hopefully Garcia just ignores him and moves on. Again, Khan HAD Garcia beat, but his arrogance got the best of him. Put him in there with Prescott and Peterson... one of those two guys would've been perfect for him last night, rather than the no-hoper Molina...what was GBP thinking?

I'll hop on the "New Trainer of Hope" train, after a few routes, but it's way too early for me to board that train. I hope that people chill out with this hero complex of Hunter making Khan into a new fighter...we've seen this before. Once he's in there with someone who can challenge him (skill wise) and not allow him to do whatever he wants (like Molina did last night), then I'll make an assessment.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 16 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #75

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

They are saying he will fight josesito next, very risky fight for Khan

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 16 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #76

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 16 2012, 07:11 PM) *
They are saying he will fight josesito next, very risky fight for Khan

But is it, am sure the dicking around in weight for Lopez will take some effect on his body.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Dec 16 2012, 09:27 PM
Post #77

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

I don't think anyone is saying that the new Khan is a world beater. I believe we've just seen encouraging signs that he may well have addressed some of the issues he had while under Roach.

Yes, I understand the hatred that he gets. Then again, it's a little confusing...the guy has an entertaining style and hasn't been in a stinker of a fight for as long as I can imagine. He's also fought the best in his weight class and tried to get in the ring with any who remain.

He's the type of fighter who, like Manny Pacquiao, brings new fans to the sport and gets them interested in it. Old heads like us know that these guys, barring a Mike Tyson level athletic freak, generally get beaten by technicians like Floyd, but let's face it: Floyd is not an exciting fighter, per se. He's a fighter for the purists to enjoy. He doesn't keep new lifeblood trickling into the sport like other guys do.

You guys are claiming that you dislike Khan because he wouldn't give Maidana or Prescott a rematch. He beat Maidana rather convincingly in my opinion, even with the running in the last 2 rounds. Maidana hasn't progressed as a fighter, whereas Amir continues to get better. We'd get the same result. Prescott just lost to a few guys and needs to get back into winning before that match becomes a viable route.

Boxing is also about maximizing your revenue, so I understand that mentality.

Also, who is to say that had Amir Khan beaten Danny Garcia, that he would not have given him a rematch ? The short answer is, we don't know. The speculative answer is that given Khan's track record of facing top fighters, one could make a case that they would have made the rematch rather easily if necessary.

Yeah, I know, with Peterson, there was a whole lot of ruckus with that gumshoe detective looking motherfucker messing with scorecards and it was a valid complaint. So a fighter who lost a controversial decision doesn't have the right to clamor about it ?

We're talking out of both sides of our mouth right about now.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 16 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #78

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Dec 16 2012, 09:27 PM) *
I don't think anyone is saying that the new Khan is a world beater. I believe we've just seen encouraging signs that he may well have addressed some of the issues he had while under Roach.

Yes, I understand the hatred that he gets. Then again, it's a little confusing...the guy has an entertaining style and hasn't been in a stinker of a fight for as long as I can imagine. He's also fought the best in his weight class and tried to get in the ring with any who remain.

He's the type of fighter who, like Manny Pacquiao, brings new fans to the sport and gets them interested in it. Old heads like us know that these guys, barring a Mike Tyson level athletic freak, generally get beaten by technicians like Floyd, but let's face it: Floyd is not an exciting fighter, per se. He's a fighter for the purists to enjoy. He doesn't keep new lifeblood trickling into the sport like other guys do.

You guys are claiming that you dislike Khan because he wouldn't give Maidana or Prescott a rematch. He beat Maidana rather convincingly in my opinion, even with the running in the last 2 rounds. Maidana hasn't progressed as a fighter, whereas Amir continues to get better. We'd get the same result. Prescott just lost to a few guys and needs to get back into winning before that match becomes a viable route.

Boxing is also about maximizing your revenue, so I understand that mentality.

Also, who is to say that had Amir Khan beaten Danny Garcia, that he would not have given him a rematch ? The short answer is, we don't know. The speculative answer is that given Khan's track record of facing top fighters, one could make a case that they would have made the rematch rather easily if necessary.

Yeah, I know, with Peterson, there was a whole lot of ruckus with that gumshoe detective looking motherfucker messing with scorecards and it was a valid complaint. So a fighter who lost a controversial decision doesn't have the right to clamor about it ?

We're talking out of both sides of our mouth right about now.

The zab and mclosky fights sucked but you are very right he is very entertaining. I still don't like his footwork but hunter hasn't had him very long, I hope he makes more adjustments than we saw last night.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 17 2012, 12:40 AM
Post #79

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Dec 16 2012, 09:27 PM) *

I agree with the rest of your post, but this particular stuck out for me.

Yes, Khan beat Maidana rather convincingly, I agree. The kicker is, Maidana ALMOST won the fight, in the only manner that he ever had a chance of winning it by...TKO. Khan ALMOST beat Garcia, but Garcia beat him in the only manner that he ever had a chance of winning it by...TKO.

The common denominator here is...Khan was WINNING both of those fights before he got careless. Now Khan wants a do-over for his mistake in the Garcia fight, but he wont give Maidana a do-over...kinda shitty, right? The thing is, had Khan beat Garcia, he wouldn't have looked twice at giving Garcia a rematch, had he requested one.

Instead, he'd have his nose in the air while chasing a Mayweather fight...fine, it's all about revenue, these guys dont do this for free, cool. NOW, Garcia could possibly have a shot a Floyd in the near future, while Khan is left picking up the pieces of fights that he got careless in. Life aint fair, and Khan knows that he got knocked down a couple of pegs, and nearly ruined his chances at a megafight.

Now this Maidana thing...hmmm, what can I say? I will start by saying that he HAS progressed. His last outing against Soto-Karass gave him a chance to display some type of improvement, and he was still able to brawl in spots. I cant say that Maidana hasn't known some decent boxing skills all along, he may have just been using what was working for him...even when it didn't appear to (if that makes any sense).

He and Amir are in the same boat...both of them had some type of boxing skill, but got lost in their ways after a while. This is the best time for Khan to fleece Prescott, while he's a bit battered and still has something in the tank. That fight shouldn't be too hard to make, though I forget who promotes Prescott. A Peterson rematch is ripe for the picking, being the fact that the purse bid for the failed Judah/Peterson fight was only a measly $70k. Im sure Peterson would be willing to take less money this time around, but he is still the IBF champ, so Im not sure how negotiations would go.

LMAO at the "gumshoe detective looking motherfucker" who got in the way of the Khan/Peterson decision. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Dec 17 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #80

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 17 2012, 01:40 AM) *
I agree with the rest of your post, but this particular stuck out for me.

Yes, Khan beat Maidana rather convincingly, I agree. The kicker is, Maidana ALMOST won the fight, in the only manner that he ever had a chance of winning it by...TKO. Khan ALMOST beat Garcia, but Garcia beat him in the only manner that he ever had a chance of winning it by...TKO.

The common denominator here is...Khan was WINNING both of those fights before he got careless. Now Khan wants a do-over for his mistake in the Garcia fight, but he wont give Maidana a do-over...kinda shitty, right? The thing is, had Khan beat Garcia, he wouldn't have looked twice at giving Garcia a rematch, had he requested one.

Instead, he'd have his nose in the air while chasing a Mayweather fight...fine, it's all about revenue, these guys dont do this for free, cool. NOW, Garcia could possibly have a shot a Floyd in the near future, while Khan is left picking up the pieces of fights that he got careless in. Life aint fair, and Khan knows that he got knocked down a couple of pegs, and nearly ruined his chances at a megafight.

Now this Maidana thing...hmmm, what can I say? I will start by saying that he HAS progressed. His last outing against Soto-Karass gave him a chance to display some type of improvement, and he was still able to brawl in spots. I cant say that Maidana hasn't known some decent boxing skills all along, he may have just been using what was working for him...even when it didn't appear to (if that makes any sense).

He and Amir are in the same boat...both of them had some type of boxing skill, but got lost in their ways after a while. This is the best time for Khan to fleece Prescott, while he's a bit battered and still has something in the tank. That fight shouldn't be too hard to make, though I forget who promotes Prescott. A Peterson rematch is ripe for the picking, being the fact that the purse bid for the failed Judah/Peterson fight was only a measly $70k. Im sure Peterson would be willing to take less money this time around, but he is still the IBF champ, so Im not sure how negotiations would go.

LMAO at the "gumshoe detective looking motherfucker" who got in the way of the Khan/Peterson decision. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I took some time to think about it and realized that I hadn't thought about Maidana's development under Robert Garcia. He did look really good in that fight and at this point, I do believe that a fight with Khan would be very competitive.

I would also pay money to watch a Lamont Peterson rematch for sure. Peterson is tough and has that body attack that gave Khan hell in that fight.

With Prescott, for his own good, I'd like him to get a couple of victories under him so that his confidence comes back and he actually has a chance to give Khan a good fight...especially after the war he had with Mike Alvarado.

Eventually all roads will hopefully lea to a rematch with Danny Garcia. If he can cross all of these bridges and Floyd is still fighting, then we can talk about that fight.

For now, Amir should just soak up everything he can by being around Virgil Hunter and Andre Ward. The more he molds his game after the Son of God, the more impressive his performances will be.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 10:52 AM